Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion Papers Discussion

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous

Abortion Papers Discussion

Streaming preview here. Thoughts, everyone?

I'll have to hear the full lyrics to make a judgement on how sensitively the subject matter is dealt with, but the upbeat tempo and chorus are almost as infectious as Al Capone. As outtakes go, this sounds very promising.
    Last edited by This Is It; 09-11-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    From what I made out of the lyrics, it sounds like Michael's playing the father of a daughter who's getting an abortion. Understandable why he wouldn't release it. But very funky, reminds me of Dangerous and Streetwalker slightly

(Those abortion papers) Signing your name against the word of God!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

This Is It (09-11-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Yes, the narrative reminds me of the girl(s) in Hollywood Tonight and DYKWYCA in particular. Can't stop listening to the preview.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to This Is It For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (09-11-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    I was concerned about this track when the title was announced. But the song isn't a commentary, it's a story like DYKWYCA, this girl wants an abortion but her religious family puts pressure on her to keep the child.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

This Is It (09-12-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    "Abortion Papers"

Jackson isn't the first recording artist to explore the controversial subject of abortion in song. It has also surfaced in the work of Neil Young, Madonna, Sinead O'Connor, and Lauryn Hill, among others. In "Abortion Papers," Jackson approaches the matter carefully (and ambiguously): rather than presenting a dogmatic political perspective, he personalizes it through the story of a conflicted girl raised in a deeply religious home and her Bible-admonishing father. In his notes for the track, Jackson wrote, "I have to do it in a way so I don't offend girls who have gotten abortions or bring back guilt trips so it has to be done carefully....I have to really think about it." Jackson narrates the track with a strong, passionate vocal. Ironically, the main drawback of the track is its catchiness. It feels a bit strange wanting to dance and sing along to a song about abortion, but that's exactly what the addictive groove inspires. Kudos to Jackson for attempting to tackle a sensitive issue in a thoughtful manner, though it appears even he wasn't quite sure about how it would play to listeners.

Matt Forger: "This was a song that we initially missed during archiving. It was titled 'Song Groove' on the box so we overlooked it. Once we figured out what it was we started to put the pieces together. It was recorded by Brian Maloof and Gary O., a couple of engineers who worked with Michael for a brief time. When we heard it we knew it could be controversial, especially with what's been going on politically. But when you listen to the song there's a story being told. Michael really reflected on what the approach should be. He wasn't sure how to narrate it. There were different variations with vocals—he didn't want it to be judgmental. He was very clear about that. But he wanted to present a real, complicated situation."
    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...-demos/262242/

As noted earlier, this is a song that Michael knew could be controversial and, as a result, he spent a lot of time thinking about the story for the song and the voice through which the song should be told. The song is about a girl whose father is a priest; she was raised in the Church and on the Bible. She gets married in the Church but decides, against the Bible, to have an abortion and she wants “Abortion Papers.” As Michael indicated in his notes, “I have to do it in a way so I don’t offend girls who have gotten abortions or bring back guilt trips so it has to be done carefully… I have to really think about it.“ This is an early example of a song with a controversial subject.
    http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/08/27...tes-from-bad25

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    This is my fave song of the new tracks. So amazing!! Do find it a little odd bopping to a song about abortion, but oh well, its just so funky how can I not. Michael handles the subject with his usualy level of respect and dignity. Perfect song, cannot believe its only just seeing the light of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Really loving this song. In the same vein as Billie Jean, Blood On The Dancefloor, DYKWYCA. Bopping around to a funky tune with such sensitive and mature subject matter. Really loving this song!

Favorite
    Album
    Thriller
    All I keep on hearing is ABORTION PAPERS.. haha. Love it.

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    ^Same... I kept singing that at work too lol.
    It's a traaaap! - Admiral Ackbar

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyVercetti For This Useful Post:

Minimj (09-18-2012),Quench (09-23-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Great groove, but I feel the subject matter is just too iffy. I know he's telling it from a "story" point of view, but fans are already going off about Michael being pro-life and all that junk. It's a song for me that should've stayed locked safely away in the vaults.