Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30th Anniversary -- Jackson 5 Lip-Synching?

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory

30th Anniversary -- Jackson 5 Lip-Synching?

I know this thread will start debate -- but hear me out.

I've never once thought that Michael performed some of the Jackson 5 songs live at the 30th Anniversary show. Some songs (Can You Feel It, I Want You Back) don't seem like they have live vocals, while others (Dancing Machine, Shake Your Body) do. It's known that Michael re-recorded some of the Motown hits back in '89 for the cancelled Decade compilation, which fuels my belief that he may have been lip-synching. For instance:

@ 0:52 -- Michael looks like he begins to lip-sync the first verse, not knowing that the vocals weren't there yet.
    @ 1:36 -- I highly doubt that Michael would have kept smooth, crisp vocals right during and after a spin. He never has before.
    @ 1:38 -- Michael moves the microphone from his mouth a little early, and perfect vocals are still heard.

Also, if you will, compare the above performance to this one:

The vocals on Dancing Machine are obviously live -- Michael mumbling a few syllables, singing certain lyrics faster so he can catch his breath, not to mention a slightly nasal sound, as if he had a stuffy nose. Also, the vocals have a "live" element to them that I can't really explain clearly; they SOUND live, whereas the I Want You Back vocals sound

Now, I would fully believe that Michael was singing every song live if this concert had taken place back in '81 during the Triumph Tour (at times on the live CD, the vocals are perfect and clear, as if Michael was lip-synching). But this performance was by a 43 year old man, whereas those were by a 23 year old man.

This is just what I have seen. I may be wrong, I may be right. Either way, opinions?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

MrBrightside (09-02-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    A lot of vocals were rerecorded.

A promo tape was sent out to new stations with the original vocals (and Whitney Houstons chest was digitally altered...).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (09-02-2012),MrBrightside (09-02-2012)

Thats some serious food for thought right there. I've only ever watched this show once. The footage of these two nights never really enthralled me, and I've since learned (a few years back) that what went out on tv was highly edited. In my honest opinion MJ wasn't in the best of form and when I saw footage of him speaking he seemed to slur his words, and now after re-watching this I think you could possibly be right. I like your observational notes and think you make some good points.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrBrightside For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (09-02-2012),Moon_Walk (09-02-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Michael was definitely under the influence of something here. The whole concert is really painful to watch. The covering of his mouth, never standing up straight, not looking at the audience. Something was definitely off.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thankyoufortheparty For This Useful Post:

MrBrightside (09-02-2012),Nesboy43 (09-02-2012),Quench (09-02-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by thankyoufortheparty View Post
    Michael was definitely under the influence of something here. The whole concert is really painful to watch. The covering of his mouth, never standing up straight, not looking at the audience. Something was definitely off.
    I agree. I think this was when his drug use began to cloud his judgment with his family and his fans. According to Frank Cascio, he found Michael backstage before the show, under the influence of something. That was the reason the September 7th show was late; he had to get Michael's mind together, so he was shoving Gatorade down his throat. Of couse, we don't know how accurate that story is. But as I've always thought, people knew how Michael was, and no one helped him?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

MrBrightside (09-02-2012),Quench (09-02-2012),thankyoufortheparty (09-02-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by thankyoufortheparty View Post
    The whole concert is really painful to watch. The covering of his mouth, never standing up straight, not looking at the audience. Something was definitely off.
    I agree. How anyone can say that Michael was healthier here than what he was in This Is It is beyond me

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    As much as I dont believe anything from the Cascio's I think its quite obvious to see Michael was under the influence of something during these shows.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Moon_Walk For This Useful Post:

MrBrightside (09-02-2012)

^^You beat me. Here's the link to Cascio's book. http://jetzi-mjvideo.com/books-jetzi...m/11mfm17.html
    It's not clarified, but apparently, he took pain killer or sleeping pill.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I have to believe Frank on this one, I think. Clearly Michael wasn't in his right mind. During TII he was alert and on the ball, both during performance and in the moments inbetween. 30th Anniversary concert is a sad mess in comparison. Look at the photos even of Michael on the red carpet with Liz; his eyes are fogged over completely and he's not even properly dressed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thankyoufortheparty For This Useful Post:

Moon_Walk (09-02-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Its just one thing IMO that I dont get when fans protest over a DVD/Blu Ray release of the 30th Anniversary Celebration. Michael was performance wise at his lowest. Even Michael's performances during the HIStory Tour capture me more than this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Moon_Walk For This Useful Post:

thankyoufortheparty (09-02-2012)