Thread: Sony/ATV signs exclusive worldwide administration agreement to represent Mijac

Favorite
    Album
    Bad

Sony/ATV signs exclusive worldwide administration agreement to represent Mijac

Got this email yesterday so I'm sure everyone already knows from reading it elsewhere, but I figured I would get it posted anyway for discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SONY / ATV MUSIC PUBLISHING SIGNS EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE
    ADMINISTRATION AGREEMENT TO REPRESENT MIJAC MUSIC CATALOG

NEW YORK —August 20, 2012—Sony/ATV Music Publishing announced today that the company has entered into a worldwide administration agreement to represent Michael Jackson’s iconic Mijac Music catalog. Founded by Michael Jackson in 1980 as his personal publishing company, Mijac Music grew to include – in addition to all of his own incredible songs – the classic Sly and the Family Stone catalog, songs by the legendary Philadelphia soul team of Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff as well as songs made famous by other artists such as Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin.

Of the announcement, Martin Bandier, Chairman and CEO of Sony/ATV said, “We are thrilled that the Estate of Michael Jackson has entrusted us with this incredible catalog of songs, and everyone at Sony/ATV looks forward to finding innovative ways to use these songs, while protecting their legacy.”

Commenting on the deal, John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jacksonremarked, “Michael’s songs in the Mijac Music catalog not only showcase his greatness as a performer but also his creative genius as a songwriter. We are excited that the company Michael helped found, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, and in which his Estate remains a 50% partner, will represent these amazing songs along with a rich collection of other music recorded by some of our greatest popular artists.”

The agreement comes in advance of the September 18 release of BAD25, a new two-disc-package and DVD that marks the 25th anniversary of Michael’s landmark BAD album.

The Mijac catalog includes all of the songs written by the legendary King of Pop, Michael Jackson, including “Another Part Of Me,” “Bad,” “Beat It,” “Billie Jean,” “Black or White,” “Can You Feel It,” “Dangerous,” “Dirty Diana,” “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough,” “Earth Song,” “Heal the World,” “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” “Jam,” “Scream,” “Smooth Criminal,” “They Don’t Care About Us,” “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” “The Way You Make Me Feel” and “We Are The World.”

Also included in the catalog are some of the most iconic songs in rock, pop and soul music history, including "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now," “After Midnight,” “Ease on Down the Road,” “Great Balls of Fire,” "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher," “I Got A Woman,” “If You Don’t Know Me By Now,” “Love Train,” “Mr. Bojangles,” “People Get Ready,” “Runaround Sue,” “Shake, Rattle and Roll,” “Sixteen Candles,” “The Wanderer”, “What’d I Say,” “When a Man Loves a Woman” and “You Don’t Know Me”. Of special note the catalog includes the songs made famous by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artist Sly and the Family Stone, including such hits as “Dance To the Music,” “Everybody is a Star,” “Everyday People,” “Family Affair,” “Hot Fun in the Summertime,” “If You Want Me To Stay,” “Sing a Simple Song,” “Stand” and “Thank You.”

About Sony/ATV Music Publishing
    Sony/ATV Music Publishing, established in 1995 as a joint venture between Sony and Michael Jackson, is the world’s leading music publisher. Together with EMI Music Publishing, Leiber Stoller, Mijac Music, Motown and the Famous Music catalogs, Sony/ATV owns or administers more than 2 million copyrights, including some of the best known songs ever written. Sony/ATV’s catalog includes “New York, New York,” “All You Need Is Love,” “You’ve Got a Friend,” “Moon River,” “Jailhouse Rock,” “The Mission Impossible Theme,” “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “Over the Rainbow,” “Stand By Me,” “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” and “Singin’ in the Rain.” In addition, Sony/ATV represents the copyrights of such legendary artists as The Beatles, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Carole King, Kraftwerk, Joni Mitchell, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Richie Sambora, Sting, Wyclef Jean, Hank Williams and Stevie Wonder, among others. Its ever-growing list of chart-topping artists, writers and producers includes Beyoncé, Fall Out Boy, Jay-Z, Jessie J, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Lady Antebellum, Lady Gaga, John Mayer, P!nk, RedOne, Shakira, Ed Sheeran, Stargate, Taylor Swift and Kanye West.

~ "Life should be harmony in this world of self-destruction..." - MJ ~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krystikel For This Useful Post:

DingBat (11-15-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Does this mean we will start seeing Michael on "various artist" compilations like Now albums? =( I do hope not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Quote Originally Posted by BudzMJJ View Post
    Does this mean we will start seeing Michael on "various artist" compilations like Now albums? =( I do hope not.
    actually can you remember the last compilation michaels music featured on?

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Not off the top of my head no. Are we including soundtracks? I know its been a while as Michael tended to keep himself off such things.
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

From my understanding this doesn't mean that Sony/atv have acquired MiJac, but they are now administering the catalogue (before it was BMI I believe).

Michael kept the catalogues separate for a reason, and I hope it stays that way, although now it would seem like MiJac is one step closer to being acquired by Sony/ATV.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by jason 1972 View Post
    actually can you remember the last compilation michaels music featured on?
    I think "Billie Jean" was on the "Now That's What I Call The 80's" compulation. The Jacksons "Torture" was on the 2nd NOW 80's disc, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah I've always wondered why MJ's music was never put on compulation cds. Would have been more money in his pocket if he agreed to it, wouldn't it?

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Pop View Post
    I think "Billie Jean" was on the "Now That's What I Call The 80's" compulation. The Jacksons "Torture" was on the 2nd NOW 80's disc, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah I've always wondered why MJ's music was never put on compulation cds. Would have been more money in his pocket if he agreed to it, wouldn't it?
    I heard it was because Michael believed the songs belonged on the albums they were released on, as otherwise the flow is broken. Personally, I like to think it is because Michael is better than ****ty "Now" and the like albums. Usually, his tracks have out sold more than the rest of the disc combined anyway.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BudzMJJ For This Useful Post:

Quench (08-30-2012)