Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This Is It (Film)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    ^ See there you go, told you the emotion was real haha! I don't remember the video circulating before the film came out, but I think I was in a bit of a daze that year. I remember more about Kenny dropping hints about new dance moves and other stuff LOL!

Totally agree on the narration thing, Dan. I was scared of that too. I think the entire film is put together just beautifully, with just the right emotion. Narration would've killed it.

Edit: Just went back and re-read some other threads and the posts in this one again. Dammit, I'm having major feels for TII all over. I'm surprised how much I've forgotten of it....
    Last edited by thankyoufortheparty; 08-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Ah, nice to know they weren't done after he passed. Still, they seem fake, to me, i dunno why. Its the kid at the end, the proper ott one, with the whole, "life is hard, you know?" crap. Its so clichéd, cringey and clearly rehearsed.

Vocal over dubs were definitely the worst thing about TII though. I also agree with previous posters that the DVD and Blu-ray extras could have been so much better. I know it sounds nasty, but i honestly could give a crap about what the backing dancers, make-up artists and or costume designers think, or what they do in their spare time or whatever, I don't care. I want to see and hear Michael on MICHAEL JACKSON dvd. They sold it as "discover the man you never knew" but i learnt nothing about Michael in that film that i didn't already know, and my non MJ fan friends said the exact same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Roger Ebert gave a nice review of the movie. Here's a link.

BY ROGER EBERT / October 27, 2009

"This Is it," Michael Jackson told his fans in London, announcing his forthcoming concert tour. "This is the final curtain call." The curtain fell sooner than expected. What is left is this extraordinary documentary, nothing at all like what I was expecting to see. Here is not a sick and drugged man forcing himself through grueling rehearsals, but a spirit embodied by music. Michael Jackson was something else.

The film has been assembled from rehearsals from April through June 2009 for a concert tour scheduled for this summer. The footage was "captured by a few cameras," an opening screen tells us, but they were professional high-def cameras and the sound track is full-range stereo. The result is one of the most revealing music documentaries I've seen.

And it's more than that. It's a portrait of Michael Jackson that belies all the rumors that he would have been too weak to tour. That shows not the slightest trace of a spoiled prima donna. That benefits from the limited number of cameras by allowing us to experience his work in something closer to realistic time, instead of fracturing it into quick cuts. That provides both a good idea of what the final concert would have looked like, and a portrait of the artist at work.

Never raising his voice, never showing anger, always soft-spoken and courteous to his cast and crew, Michael with his director, Kenny Ortega, micro-manages the production. He corrects timing, refines cues, talks about details of music and dance. Seeing him always from a distance, I thought of him as the instrument of his producing operation. Here we see that he was the auteur of his shows.

We know now that Michael was subjected to a cocktail of drugs in the time leading up to his fatal overdose, including the last straw, a drug so dangerous it should only be administered by an anesthesiologist in an operating room. That knowledge makes it hard to understand how he appears to be in superb physical condition. His choreography, built from such precise, abrupt and perfectly-timed movements, is exhausting, but he never shows a sign of tiring. His movements are so well synchronized with the other dancers on stage, who are much younger and highly-trained, that he seems one with them. This is a man in such command of his physical instrument that he makes spinning in place seem as natural as blinking his eye.

He has always been a dancer first, and then a singer. He doesn't specialize in solos. With the exception of a sweet love ballad, his songs all incorporate four backup singers and probably supplementary tracks prerecorded by himself. It is the whole effect he has in mind.

It might have been a hell of a show. Ortega and special effects wizards coordinate pre-filmed sequences with the stage work. There's a horror-movie sequence with ghouls rising from a cemetery (and ghosts that were planned to fly above the audience). Michael is inserted into scenes from Rita Hayworth and Humphrey Bogart movies, and through clever f/x even has a machine-gun battle with Bogie. His environmental pitch is backed by rain forest footage. He rides a cherry-picker high above the audience.

His audience in this case consists entirely of stagehands, gaffers, technicians, and so on. These are working people who have seen it all. They love him. They're not pretending. They love him for his music, and perhaps even more for his attitude. Big stars in rehearsal are not infrequently pains in the ass. Michael plunges in with the spirit of a co-worker, prepared to do the job and go the distance.

How was that possible? Even if he had the body for it, which he obviously did, how did he muster the mental strength? When you have a doctor on duty around the clock to administer the prescription medications you desire, when your idea of a good sleep is reportedly to be unconscious for 24 hours, how do you wake up into such a state of keen alertness? Uppers? I don't think it quite works that way. I was watching like a hawk for any hint of the effects of drug abuse, but couldn't see any. Perhaps it's significant that of all the people in the rehearsal space, he is the only one whose arms are covered at all times by long sleeves.

Well, we don't know how he did it. "This Is It" is proof that he did do it. He didn't let down his investors and colleagues. He was fully prepared for his opening night. He and Kenny Ortega, who also directed this film, were at the top of their game. There's a moving scene on the last day of rehearsal when Jackson and Ortega join hands in a circle with all the others, and thank them. But the concert they worked so hard on was never to be.

This is it.
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/910289999

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jam2008 For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (09-11-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by This Is It View Post
    No, it was just a little snippet that Kenny (or the editors) used as a segue into the press conference scene.
    It's possible Michael was going to sing that part of Speechless live in the break in WBSS. We don't know the full context of that particular scene eitherway though.

Quote Originally Posted by Minimj View Post
    But didn't Kenny say though during the court case that there was footage of Michael sitting down, shivering - hence why it was hard for him to go through the footage. Which surely would be an affect of the drug?
    I don't recall Kenny saying footage exists of Michael in that state. What he did say was he saw Michael in certain undesirable physical states. But it would certainly not be a side effect of propofol for which abuse is not discovered until death. Propofol abuse is vastly different to abuse of...say, Demerol as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by thankyoufortheparty View Post
    ^ Technically there is a LOT of footage of Michael under the influence of Propofol; you're right on the money with the shivering etc. Look how many layers Michael was wearing in some of the scenes; that's a direct influence of the drug. He's wearing up to three or four shirts and a heavy jacket for some songs (Earth Song, Thriller etc etc). So while he's not "out of it" or anything like that, he's obviously cold as a direct result of the drug.
    There's no footage showing Michael under the influence of propofol at all. I did plenty of research into propofol abuse including reading test studies of the effects on rats which proved the addictive qualities of it. Something else can account for someone feeling pretty cold even in summer - low body fat and poor circulation are just two examples. He wasn't rehearsing in the middle of an afternoon when the day is hottest, but at night. Earth Song, in particular was very late at night - the last one he ever did before he left for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by krystikel View Post
    ^^ Are chills and being cold a known common side effect of propofol? I haven't heard that before, and I'm not seeing it in any of the lists of side effects that come up in a basic search. I've not dug far though so I may not have come across it yet.
    No, it's not even a documented side effect of propofol. Other drug abuse examples have this as a potential side effect, but not propofol which cannot even be compared to the more typical, common or better known drug abuse cases.

I do, however, want to point out that someone being cold could also indicate... absolutely nothing. lol Every day at work I have on my shirt, a fitted fleece jacket zipped up, a second fleece jacket that isn't as fitted also zipped, PLUS a fleece blanket over my lap. Other co-workers who share the exact same office space with me are perfectly comfortable, not a bit cold, in a single shirt. Just because someone is chilled when no one else is doesn't mean they are using any kind of drug. Just want to point that out.

*tucks blanket more firmly under my legs*
    Yep, one lady at my work is pretty skinny and wears 3 fleece layers over her work shirt. She doesn't abuse drugs, but has very little body fat. The stereotype of drug addicts though is that they're skinny and as a result of a low body weight...shiver in most cases. It's not always a helpful stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by thankyoufortheparty View Post
    ^ Wasn't that a major thing that came up in the case? The fact that Kenny knew Michael was sick/under the influence due to be freezing cold at rehearsals, having literal cold feet etc? And in the photos of Michael's bedroom post-death, the fire was still lit and a chair was drawn up next to it, meaning he probably slept in front of it most nights. Pretty sure that Michael wearing at least 5 layers when people even like Kenny were wearing t-shirts at rehearsals around him. It was the middle of summer too, don't forget! I definitely remember hearing that being cold was part of his body shutting down due to the abuse of the drug.
    Kenny certainly testified that he felt Michael Jackson was physically and mentally...broken. He still would not have been able to tell exactly what kind of drug it might have been, especially since Michael's makeup would've concealed effects on the skin and he kept his shades on pretty much the whole time (another drug abuse stereotype). There are clearly times in TII when Michael is not wearing layers and layers of clothing - this can be seen in Thriller (a ladies' jacket won't keep a shivering man warm with short arms, etc), snippet of Earth Song ("the value would be greater..." part where he talks to Bearden) and Beat It. In Jam and parts of Human Nature, he's simply wearing a suit - nothing like the bomber jacket he wore for Earth Song. In TWYMMF, we can see that under that silver jacket MJ was wearing just a white t-shirt which isn't unusual.

But MJ had a problem. It's not evident in the finished TII film with its varying layers of clothing. Kenny did a top job of hiding it all except MJ's death just tells us there was a problem. No effect of propofol is even seen.

However, I do recall reports and witness accounts that MJ's bedroom or the floor of the mansion he slept on was roasting hot. While I was doing research into my article on Hugo Zuccarelli's 'Holophonics', I did come across an eye witness account from Zuccarelli's attorney describing MJ's deposition while he was on the BAD tour. Basically, it's exactly the same scenario as the 2009 one - his hotel room was roasting hot which was how Michael liked it. The attorney asked him about it and Michael explained that the temperature was to help his voice. It appears that having a really hot bedroom during rehearsals or on tour wasn't exactly unusual for Michael Jackson between the BAD tour and the This Is It rehearsals.

Another detail from this deposition...MJ apparently wanted Zuccarelli to build him a 'Holophonics' 'coffin' so that Michael could be surrounded by music as he slept. Apparently, he wanted to sleep in that every night. Personally, I doubt he ever commissioned this from Zuccarelli at all and it came after the hyperbaric chamber stories.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

Quench (08-29-2012)

I gotta say that this is one of my favorite if not my favorite moment from This Is It

The intro when Kenny is describing Light Man and says ''And then MJ drops out and on Michael's command we begin....'' and then Michael throws his arm up and Wanna Be Startin Somethin kicks in.

I love that moment

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed-Demon For This Useful Post:

beluga2805 (08-29-2012),Moon_Walk (08-29-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Seeing how it's MJ"s birthday today...I'm gonna have to go home and stick this movie in. It's been a while since I've watched it.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Just watched it recently with my girlfriend. Brought back up tons of memories from when I saw it opening night in October 2009. I'm still disappointed that Michael didn't moonwalk during Billie Jean and even more disappointed that a crappy angle was used when EVERYONE moonwalked in Smooth Criminal But Michael still gives a spectacular performance. It still amazes me that a fifty year old man with all the physical, mental and emotional troubles he's endured (and was also enduring at the time) was so sharp and focused in rehearsals. Watching Michael craft the intro to The Way You Make Me Feel, instructing Kenny when the band should enter in Smooth Criminal and his leg kicking in Beat It is as beautiful as ever.

Does anyone know the state of the "unseen rehearsals?" According to dancers and people present at rehearsals, Michael rehearsed Stranger in Moscow with live vocals and also rehearsed Dangerous to some extent. I'm not sure about any other songs though. I do know that SIM was due to be on the DVD but wasn't for some reason?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Quench (09-16-2012)

ah...id love to see stranger in moscow. they shouldhave put it in there so people could see a unkown song.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    well i thought this is it... was pretty great... but what I would like more is one of these touches would delete our accounts it would pretty fantastic!!! =)

If SII and DD were indeed rehearsed, and parts of Dangerous, Why the hell weren't they featured in some aspect on This Is It? At least in the special features. I'm dying to see these performances!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Moon_Walk For This Useful Post:

Quench (09-28-2012)