Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This Is It (Film)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    tbh, the film kinda disappoints me. I feel they kept a lot of footage back. The first time i saw it i was still in full on grief mode and it got me. It is moving and amazing to see the master at work one last time. I do love HN, from it, and the way Jam comes in under the talking. Don't like the BJ performance that much. It was good to see something different and Michael having fun with it, but no Moonwalk =( I didn't like the intro either, with the ott backing dancer "interviews". They feel fake, rehearsed and like they were filmed after he died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by BudzMJJ View Post
    I didn't like the intro either, with the ott backing dancer "interviews". They feel fake, rehearsed and like they were filmed after he died.
    That's what a friend of mine said when I showed him the movie for the first time.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    tbh, the film kinda disappoints me. I feel they kept a lot of footage back. The first time i saw it i was still in full on grief mode and it got me. It is moving and amazing to see the master at work one last time. I do love HN, from it, and the way Jam comes in under the talking. Don't like the BJ performance that much. It was good to see something different and Michael having fun with it, but no Moonwalk =( I didn't like the intro either, with the ott backing dancer "interviews". They feel fake, rehearsed and like they were filmed after he died.
    For some reason I too feel like they were done after MJ passed away, but the emotion they exhibited doesn't feel fake for it to be a bother.

I actually really like the BJ performance, it was a nice simple outline of it that shows off Michael's genius in a different way.

Have you watched it recently? I remember watching it for the first time and being blown away. The next few times it didn't do anything really big for me, but then I watched the blu-ray of it with the volume nice and loud and it blew me away again (I didn't even care about the overdubs because I was so into everything else and I hate lip syncing when it comes to MJ). I'll have to watch it again to confirm the quality.

I do have to say that I could have done with more footage- it came a little short at the end, I wanted more so bad.
    There's only one Thriller and I ain't talkin' 'bout thee album...

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam2008 View Post
    That's what a friend of mine said when I showed him the movie for the first time.
    Yeah, a few of mine have also said it when they watched it with me. They also picked up on a lot of the over dubbing, which is pretty bad as none of them are really MJ fans, just admirers.

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
    For some reason I too feel like they were done after MJ passed away, but the emotion they exhibited doesn't feel fake for it to be a bother.

I actually really like the BJ performance, it was a nice simple outline of it that shows off Michael's genius in a different way.

Have you watched it recently? I remember watching it for the first time and being blown away. The next few times it didn't do anything really big for me, but then I watched the blu-ray of it with the volume nice and loud and it blew me away again (I didn't even care about the overdubs because I was so into everything else and I hate lip syncing when it comes to MJ). I'll have to watch it again to confirm the quality.

I do have to say that I could have done with more footage- it came a little short at the end, I wanted more so bad.
    I actually watched last about 2 weeks ago, on blu ray through my surround sound. It is good, don't get me wrong. But it still leave me feeling like it could have been so much better.
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    The sound quality on the blu-ray is second to none. Amazing bass, amazing 5.1 mix, amazing clarity, it is reference material in every way and this not only my opinion, it is pretty much fact. Insanely awesome with a great audio setup.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyrus For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (08-24-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    It is good, don't get me wrong. But it still leave me feeling like it could have been so much better.
    I agree, but then again, it is good and bad. It's good in that, we got to see what Michael was planning for us and see a genius at work one last time. But, according to what I've heard, Michael barely sang live. If they used the incomplete songs without the overdubbing, people would whine that "the film didn't seem complete" and that it was "time wasted". Which brings me to my statement that the Estate cannot win MJ fans over.

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    See, this another one of those fan base dividing matters. Cos some say he barely sung live for the whole rehearsals. Other say they ran the full show at least twice with Michael singing full vocals. We'll probably never know the true amount of footage and live vocal there really is.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BudzMJJ For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (08-24-2012),Quench (08-28-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I didn't like the intro either, with the ott backing dancer "interviews". They feel fake, rehearsed and like they were filmed after he died.
    I have to agree with this, I still have some doubts about the intro with the dancers that look like they are on the verge of tears. The guy that says "we all gotta find something in life" just seems really fake to me. It's definitely possible these are all real but to me they seem fake. Anyways, every-time I've watched the movie at home I've used scene select to start it right at lightman so there is no text or dancers in the beginning and the show just starts how it should.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I feel like the interviews were done post-MJ-death soley because some of the emotion displayed is just so raw....maybe they were filmed on that day? Because they're all in rehearsal clothing. I think the emotion is real, but the timing is different from what we're positioned to believe in the film. To me they look like a bunch of people who've just had a dream snapped away from them...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thankyoufortheparty For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (08-25-2012),Quench (08-28-2012),the one. (09-02-2012)

13. The introduction segment was filmed just after (the day, or (in) the following day(s)) the auditions were completed. The segment was already floating about on YouTube (Kenny Ortega's channel or some other channel I can't remember right now.) There's nothing fake about it. It's the genuine reaction to having successfully completed the auditions. I always loved the introduction, because it sets the mood completely - it sets the right tension, and explains to the world how big of an event this actually was to be etc.

I was disappointed with the awful, awful vocal overdubs. After watching the Blu-Ray extras ("extras"), I am also disappointed that they didn't include more footage of Michael just talking things through with the band, or Kenny, or whoever. But in order to get the overall package out to the public, the theatrical release was pretty much bang-on, in terms of tone etc. I was initially afraid that the film would be filled with documentary-style narration and interviews all over the place, and eat in on precious stage performance footage, but we didn't get that at all, which is great.

I could go on and on about other things, but that sums it up for me. Not amazing but not poor, either. The audio is fantastic, the footage shot on the REDs is impeccably sharp. It's enjoyable. As enjoyable as it can be, I guess.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moonwalker3000 For This Useful Post:

Cyrus (08-25-2012),Jam2008 (08-25-2012),Moon_Walk (08-25-2012),Nesboy43 (08-28-2012),Quench (08-28-2012),thankyoufortheparty (08-25-2012),the one. (09-02-2012)