Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: This Is It (Film)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I still love This Is It just as much as I did before the trial. MJ was more into many of the performances than he had been for almost three decades. He really was enjoying himself in many of the songs, you can see it from his movement and his face and hear it from the vocals. No matter what was going on at other times behind the scenes, he really really was in the moment and enjoying it all during those moments and it's magical and somehow comforting as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyrus For This Useful Post:

Quench (08-10-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I've been out of the loop lately. What are some of the dark things that the movie didn't show?

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam2008 View Post
    I've been out of the loop lately. What are some of the dark things that the movie didn't show?
    Nothing new from civil trial. Just that everyone basically knew Michael was abusing something. And the Jacksons had known for years yet Katherine was in denial.

Michael had been falling apart before 2005 anyway, but it all caught up with him in 2009. Lots and lots of denials and cover ups went on pre and during AEG LIVE era.

Nutshell account.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (03-03-2017),Jam2008 (08-13-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I decided to watch This Is It again today purely for the sake of this thread, and I loved it just as much as I always have. My frame of mind is, hey, Michael was fifty years old. Yes he was sort of stiff here and there, but considering he hadn't performed in seven years, not to mention other little issues I'll leave out of this (particularly the drug abuse), I thought he moved just fine. Let us not forget the Dangerous rehearsals, where he did practically no actual dancing. That's how, as we all know, Michael went through rehearsals. He doesn't give his all, he just went through the motions and saved the energy for opening night.

As we've said, vocally, he was phenomenal. I still get chills hearing him hit those high falsetto notes in I Just Can't Stop Loving You. And here and there his dancing was really good -- particularly during the Billie Jean dance break. I would love to believe that he would have been absolutely phenomenal on tour, but unfortunately we'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    I decided to watch This Is It again today purely for the sake of this thread, and I loved it just as much as I always have. My frame of mind is, hey, Michael was fifty years old. Yes he was sort of stiff here and there, but considering he hadn't performed in seven years, not to mention other little issues I'll leave out of this (particularly the drug abuse), I thought he moved just fine. Let us not forget the Dangerous rehearsals, where he did practically no actual dancing. That's how, as we all know, Michael went through rehearsals. He doesn't give his all, he just went through the motions and saved the energy for opening night.

As we've said, vocally, he was phenomenal. I still get chills hearing him hit those high falsetto notes in I Just Can't Stop Loving You. And here and there his dancing was really good -- particularly during the Billie Jean dance break. I would love to believe that he would have been absolutely phenomenal on tour, but unfortunately we'll never know.
    No disrespect to you, but that's not the point really. This Is It was released to the fans to show us and paint the picture that Michael was in ideal health and was readily able to perform the 50 shows. Yes, his singing and dancing were good at some points, but This Is It, unlike Dangerous is heavily edited, so you have no idea what Michael did during different parts of different songs. I simply cannot watch that movie. It paints a totally different picture from the facts. The fact that he was missing rehearsals, not eating properly, losing weight,the June 19th incident. In a way you can almost see his demise, health wise. Some parts of the movie, he looks strong and at a good weight. For instance the drill for TDCAU when he has that black THIS IS IT press conference jacket on. He looked good.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chris123678 For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (03-03-2017)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I still like the intent behind TII from back in 2009. It was a vehicle to encourage people to remember Michael for the performer he was as well as to make a lot of money. Cuts both ways.

The story since then has changed, but in 2009 TII was needed in the manner we saw it. It doesn't mean Ortega didn't care about Michael. Same goes for the folks filming the rehearsals.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

alexbism (03-04-2017),Cyrus (08-23-2013),Danileevan (03-03-2017),Moon_Walk (08-20-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    It was a film made to entertain, Michael had done all these rehearsals after a huge hiatus from performing, who wouldn't want to see this? Yes there was a ton of issues going on at the time as well, but what we got was an amazingly entertaining film, not only for the performances (great editing), but the documentary aspect as well. The film is a lot of fun and is well done any way I see it, highly re-watchable too.

I suppose they could have made a realistic This Is It that could show Michael looking bad, not eating, not showing up some days, etc. I just don't think it would have worked too well, although I would appreciate the honesty. It's a movie meant for fun not for an honest account of everything that went on behind the scenes of the concert.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

alexbism (03-04-2017),Cyrus (08-23-2013),PG13 (08-23-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Here's a great read about the film from a familiar source........

http://www.ajdugger.com/blog/michael...his-is-it-2009

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I should try and watch this again, but I have been watching a lot of Moonwalker recently.
    It's a traaaap! - Admiral Ackbar