Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Is It (Film)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad

This Is It (Film)

I watched it today and never get sick of it. I think they did a good job putting this together in the short amount of time that they had. What did you think of the movie? What are your favorite moments, performances, etc?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jam2008 For This Useful Post:

jason 1972 (08-20-2012),Quench (08-17-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    This Is It is fantastic in all aspects. I remember seeing it on opening day with my girlfriend and just sitting in awe, watching a fifty-year-old man move the way he was. Granted, he wasn't doing the dizzying spins and leg thrusts like he was, but a) it was only a rehearsal and b) he was a fifty-year-old man. But both my girlfriend and I -- along with various friends and family members who also saw the movie -- said that they were amazed that someone that age could do what he was doing. I think it's by far the best release since Michael died. It shows the genius that the world would have seen. I still marvel at the high falsetto performance at the end of Can't Stop Loving You and the soulful rendition of Human Nature. I still cant get through the end of the film, when the film freeze-frames and the words "Love lives forever" come on screen. I just bawl.

I have little to no problems with this movie. I wish that they toned down the vocal dubbing a bit. I also wish that they included the live performance of Stranger in Moscow that has long since been speculated. I also believe that Dangerous was partially rehearsed with Michael. I really don't see how it wasn't included in the film. In the behind-the-scenes extras, Dirty Diana was featured, and Michael never rehearsed it. But regardless, I love This Is It.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AlwaysThere; 08-16-2012 at 05:03 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Jam2008 (08-16-2012),jason 1972 (08-20-2012),Killer Queen (08-16-2012),Quench (08-17-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I agree completely,I've watched it numerous times since the cinema release and it never gets old!

For me it was great to see after the absence,trial and god knows what else he went through,he still was far above everyone else.Vocally there was some great stuff and the moves I though were pretty amazing for a rehearsal,even the WBSS guitar beatbox was great.

I love the Billie Jean performance and those EPIC bodyrolls,Smooth Criminal,Threatened snippet and the JAM with the live band.Those high notes at he end of IJCSLY were amazing and it sgreat to see him let lose a bit instead of performing the way he thinks people expect him to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tony For This Useful Post:

PrinceChristian (09-25-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Haven't watched it in a couple of years, but have been tempted to.

It's not a masterpiece, but as good as they could have done within the circumstances - as Kenny said, it's not a film he wanted to make. I left the cinema melancholic - it's the ultimate "what could have been" - but satisfied.

Favourite moments? Just seeing the master at work for the last time, whether it's the Drill section of TDCAU; Human, Jam and Threatened benefiting from a new live band; his control over TWYMMF's intro; or seeing young backing dancers react to Billie Jean. The whole Dome Project isn't a bad final part of his legacy - those new versions of his short films are nothing short of visionary.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to This Is It For This Useful Post:

jason 1972 (08-20-2012),Killer Queen (08-16-2012),Moonwalker3000 (08-25-2012)

One thing that really annoyed me was during one of the bonus feaures on the DVD/Blu Ray when Mike is singing Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and someone is talking over him.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed-Demon For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (08-24-2012),Minimj (08-16-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Thriller
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed-Demon View Post
    One thing that really annoyed me was during one of the bonus feaures on the DVD/Blu Ray when Mike is singing Don't Stop Til You Get Enough and someone is talking over him.
    I agree. His falsetto was amazing.

As always.. 'Human Nature' - with the live vocals and the GROWL. Agh. Pure pleasure.

I wish I saw more raw footage of the beginning process - of Michael practising new movements for the live shows. Say that, most of the recorded stuff could have been Michael in a unsuitable condition due to Propofol (Leave that for another discussion)

I loved seeing Michael being himself. Showing even on stage, he still cared about how earth is today.

The new 3D effects for the tour would have been amazing. Something new and still before it's time. Light man, would have been amazing - just a shame Michael never got the actual suit.

I still have sad moments during the film - I did watching it at the cinema. The closing pose for 'Man In The Mirror' was a perfect ending. One might take it as the 'Jesus' pose where as I see it as 'I'm ready to go'.

This Is It, without a doubt is the best thing there is to see Michael in the moving process of creating something which would have been big.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minimj For This Useful Post:

jason 1972 (08-20-2012),Quench (08-17-2012)

Love This Is It. Like some others have said, its my favorite Post June 2009 Michael Jackson release (which will most likely change next month!)So poignant yet uplifting. Seeing Michael truly happy doing what he did best! Always gets me at the end.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    I've not watched it for a little while, but I found it fascinating as a document of a real artist at work... it showed a more 'human', down to earth side of him that I suspect he would have never shown of his own accord - not in terms of a major release like this, anyway. In that sense, I liked its 'imperfection'.

In the footage that we saw at least, he seemed to be enjoying his return of the stage, which just adds to the bittersweet quality of it all, really.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

jason 1972 (08-20-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimj View Post
    Say that, most of the recorded stuff could have been Michael in a unsuitable condition due to Propofol (Leave that for another discussion)
    Well, there are no video footage of Michael under the influence of Propofol, especially not when he's up and about. Propofol leaves no outward physical signs of abuse unlike every other drugs most are familiar with - none apart from death as this is 99% the way such abuse is uncovered. Michael's was the 1% that was the exception as he had a doctor - no one else did.

Anyway, TII was excellently done and put together in JUST the right way. It had to be for the time it was released. The best thing about it for me was the Earth Song video segments with Earth Girl and the bulldozer. HN and IJCSLY as well as Threatened snippet were fantastic.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

PrinceChristian (09-25-2012)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I absolutely loved it the first time considering it made me fan (I think I've said it multiple times now in various threads, but I totally fell in love with Michael's voice the moment he sang those final Whyyyys in Human Nature), but the overdubs annoyed me when I became more of a fan, especially the Earth Song one 'cause the power of Michael's voice in the real version would have been fantastic with the video.

Still I'll always hold a lot of a nostalgic love for it along with genuine love. It was the first time I saw Michael do a crotchgrab, which was fun watching, but a little awkward 'cause I'd, well, never seen someone dance like that. It was the first time I met him as a person always saying "It's all for love", talking about saving the planet and having fun riding the cherrypicker . I'll never stop enjoying those moments with MJ instructing the band members and some of them seeming miffed at what he meant. I mean come on, "We're sizzlin'" and "Bathe in the moonlight"? I love artists.
    There's only one Thriller and I ain't talkin' 'bout thee album...