Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Janelle Monae

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Her stage presence is unlike any female performer i've seen. a form that lends it self to more of how a mj, prince (aka male rnb/pop singer)-esque character moves and holds themselves on the stage.

refershing

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    I'm currently watching the BET Awards and she performed Yoga. I had not actually heard the song before.

That was... upsetting? She's way too sophisticated for that crap.

I actually enjoyed it. That being said I've had many months to dwell on the song. I'll admit I wasn't impressed the first few times. I've warmed up to it now.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Slightly old news, but she's recently come up with a new track called "Hum Along And Dance" that samples the Jackson 5 song of that same name.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2917572/jane...-the-get-down/

It doesn't sound too bad. I don't normally like sampling, but when it's shining a light on one of the more unjustly ignored J5 tracks...

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Just give us Suites 6 & 7 already!

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I'm sure Janelle is working on a new album but I think she has her hands full these days since she's the owner of a record label (Wondaland Arts Society) and she was finishing work on a movie about the first black NASA female scientists (name escapes me but it's a big deal) recently. I actually love "Yoga" in terms of not just the music but its feminist message.
    I was a king under your control...

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    So... what do we all think of Dirty Computer?

I can't lie, having loved basically everything she did previously, this album didn't blow my socks off in the way I expected. But it's growing a little on me. "Take a Byte" and "Screwed" are my early favourites. Some of the political messaging is hardly subtle, though, and there isn't really a single track that's making me absolutely sit up and notice a la "Lettin' Go", "Locked Inside", "Primetime" or even "Ghetto Woman".

It's still basically the only 2018 album I'm listening to though, lol.