Thread: Trust Issues

Favorite
    Album
    Music & Me

Trust Issues

Anyone who takes even a cursory look at MJs life can see the words Trust Issues writ large across so much of it. After all, here was a man who literally spoke to the walls, mannequins, animals and pretty much anything else which evidences his wish to connect but at the same time he shied away from any type of real intimacy as he kept himself ensconced in his illusory world.

What do you think about MJs trust issues and what could have been their causes?

I've often said this man lead the loneliest life on the planet, almost like he was a visitor to Earth or some touring circus freak that people peered (then later, jeered) at as they seemingly discounted his humanity, which evidently was immense and only eclipsed by his sensitivity.

Lets speak on this area of his psyche as methinks it will be quite productive.

2. Did he really speak to mannequins? Or was he trying to cultivate a "bizarre" image ?

How much of that is real as compared to a contrived image?

For example, was he really Peter Pan living at Neverland? Yet, the reality shows he spent most of the time away from Neverland in hotels squandering his millions..

In terms of trust, he probably should have kept a core group of people he could trust, that would not be afraid to tell the truth and not kiss his ass, rather than a rotating door number of managers

Favorite
    Album
    Music & Me
    The talking to mannequins part was from The Magic and the Madness, based on his time at Hayvenhurst which according to one Bat of house Ding was the point in the book where the mustard was still on the hot dog. Didn't seem that much of a stretch to me either because he moved his "friends" to Neverland as well, where they went forth and fruitfully multiplied.

That core group thing is a vital point but it seems MJ kept sycophants and yes men around him as I remember reading he sacked anyone who told him what he didn't want to hear. Crazy thing about Joe is he was pretty much the only one who could've grounded him but by the time MJ had F.U money Joe was the first U he F'd.

Point being, what do you think was at the root of his trust issues?

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by mack86 View Post
    Did he really speak to mannequins? Or was he trying to cultivate a "bizarre" image ?

How much of that is real as compared to a contrived image?
    He loved talking with his animals, that's for sure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POF For This Useful Post:

toomuch (6 Days Ago)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Michael Jackson’s trust issues emanated from the fact that he had difficulty in recognizing and separating his real friends from those who pretended to be his real friends but actually they wanted to gain something from him.

In one of his interviews in his early adulthood, he spoke about that and about the reason for talking to his manikins:

… I guess I want to bring them [manikins] to life. I like to imagine talking to them… I think I’m accompanying myself with friends I never had… Being an entertainer you just can’t tell who is your friend. And they see you so differently. A star instead of a next-door neighbor… I surround myself with people I want to be my friends. And I can do that with manikins. I’ll talk to them…” (Michael Jackson)

So, manikins for him constituted an easy, alternative way for real friends.

Michael Jackson’s poor judgment in trusting people caused to him many problems in his life generally, and therefore talking to walls, manikins and animals acted as a substitute (for real people) in order to express his thoughts and feelings.

Michael Jackson was also by nature a very lonely man, and lonely men tend to shy away from any type of real intimacy preferring to live more in their fantasy world.

In 1984, James DeBarge (the then-husband of Janet Jackson) when he was staying at the Encino estate for some time, he was shocked by Michael Jackson’s loneliness and desperate need to talk to someone.

As James DeBarge revealed, Michael Jackson used to roam around the Encino estate tapping on doors hoping that he would find someone to talk to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

toomuch (6 Days Ago)