Thread: MTV quietly erases Michael Jackson’s name from VMA award

Favorite
    Album
    Invincible

MTV quietly erases Michael Jackson’s name from VMA award

Michael Jackson was history at the MTV Video Music Awards Monday.

The network quietly removed the late King of Pop from the name of its Video Vanguard Award without explanation during Monday’s show. Page Six first reported last month that MTV would pull Jackson’s name from the honor due to potential backlash after HBO’s controversial documentary “Leaving Neverland.” The film focuses on sexual abuse allegations against the star.

MTV did include Jackson’s name on a press release sent out to announce rapper Missy Elliott as this year’s Vanguard recipient — but other promos excluded his name. MTV renamed the award for Jackson in 1991. Elliott did mention him during her acceptance speech, saying, “The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award means so much to me,” before thanking Janet Jackson for her friendship and inspiration. MTV hasn’t commented. Jackson’s estate is suing HBO over the film.

Elliott separately revealed on Wednesday that during the awards, she lost a diamond necklace backstage. The misplaced jewelry has a string of emerald-cut diamonds framed by rectangular halos of pavé stones, set in yellow gold, Page Six Style reported.

Source: https://pagesix.com/2019/08/28/mtv-q...mSJe8TwN0kdiCs

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I mean at this point I can't say I'm surprised or disappointed. And this isn't the first time they've erased his name from the award anyways. They erased it from 1994-2009 up until his death then reinstated it from 2009 until now. They've never cared about him even though HE made the network what it was from 1983 until they stopped airing music videos. Plus MTV has completely erased the focus of music and turned it into trash TV. 99.9% of the programming with the exception of the VMA's (which is certainly NOT what it was compared to its glory days) is just Ridiculousness reruns (don't remind me of that awful laugh from Chanel West Coast thanks). Their irrelevance is certainly cemented with this moment. Even worse was them cutting Janet's speech to Missy into a 2 second clip of an almost two minute video.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetlovers1224 For This Useful Post:

POF (2 Weeks Ago)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    MTV is still a thing??? Who gives a **** what they think, they don't even do music anymore. Dickheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BudzMJJ For This Useful Post:

if.it.aint.broke.break.it (1 Week Ago),james283126 (1 Day Ago),POF (2 Weeks Ago),sweetlovers1224 (2 Weeks Ago)