Thread: Were The Jacksons at a commercial nadir after Goin' Places?

Favorite
    Album
    Bad

Were The Jacksons at a commercial nadir after Goin' Places?

Goin' Places always seemed to be a bit of a forgotten album in the Jackson universe, and a cursory scan of Wikipedia reveals that it wasn't terribly successful - the lowest selling J5/Jacksons album next to 2300 Jackson Street. It didn't even crack the top 10 on the R&B charts. Of course, Destiny would prove to be a comeback and HIStory moved forward, etc.

Are there any clippings from this time period regarding sales disappointments? Was there a lot of pressure from Epic for Destiny to be a smash?

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Well it was after this album that legend says they were almost dropped by Epic, so I'm guessing there was a lot of pressure... ha. I'm presuming Skywriter must've sold less than Goin' Places, though?

I see Goin' Places a lot in record stores these days - even in HMV, it's the only Jacksons album I tend to see new (on vinyl, that is - I'm not sure that the non-compilation albums appear at all there on CD). So has it been reissued lately, or has it just aged comparatively better than I thought it had? Lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

Vega (08-05-2019)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMcNuggets View Post
    Well it was after this album that legend says they were almost dropped by Epic, so I'm guessing there was a lot of pressure... ha. I'm presuming Skywriter must've sold less than Goin' Places, though?

I see Goin' Places a lot in record stores these days - even in HMV, it's the only Jacksons album I tend to see new (on vinyl, that is - I'm not sure that the non-compilation albums appear at all there on CD). So has it been reissued lately, or has it just aged comparatively better than I thought it had? Lol
    I think the Motown releases of that era were generally hard to pin down on sales - but yeah, Skywriter was another bomb. Certainly not surprising that they were almost canned.

And yes, I usually see Goin' Places paired with their self titled debut on Epic. I guess they're pretty good Philly soul records all things being equal.