Thread: The 'all things vinyl' thread

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall

The 'all things vinyl' thread

Well we don't appear to have ever had a thread here dedicated to general discussion about vinyl, so here goes...

Do you collect vinyl, or have an existing collection in the format? What are your favourite vinyl albums, and which upcoming releases are you most excited about? Any recommendations or particular favourite artists?

I bought my first record in 2012, and my collection's just been gradually building from there. It's mostly '70s, '80s and early '90s funk, soul, R&B, pop and jazz - generally MJ, The J5/Jacksons, Prince, Donna Summer, Rufus, Chaka Khan, Heatwave, The Brothers Johnson, Commodores etc. There's also occasional newer stuff in my collection - eg. Marina & The Diamonds and Du Blonde.

It definitely helps me to build up my collection these days that I'm living in a city where there must be about five or six record stores within walking distance of each other! It's probably especially helpful in terms of picking up leftover Record Store Day stock, cos if one place doesn't stock a particular release I'm after, there's another place that likely will.

So, let's be having y'all...

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I do like collecting vinyl, but unfortunately do not have any space for a player. But right now, it is just for the artwork. Artwork looks so much better.
    It's a traaaap! - Admiral Ackbar

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TommyVercetti For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (07-02-2019)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    I need a new record player/turntable. My current one's one of those cheapo ones with the red plastic cartridges.

I fancy something like a Lenco L-85 or Audio Technica LP60, which would be the next obvious steps up from what I've currently got. But with my financial commitments for the next few months being as they are, it looks like I'll have to aim for that over the next six months, rather than it being something I can do straight away.

I'm open to anyone else's suggestions for what to get, obviously...