Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's the chances of us never getting another MJ posthumous album EVER???

Not sure if I posted before, but we probably won't get one anytime soon. MJ may be as successful as a posthumous artist, but that's not really saying much in the grand scheme of things.

If you're comparing Xscape's sales to living artists or even Michael's past sales, yeah it was a flop

but in the climate the industry has been in since 2012? It did fairly well for a posthumous release, and you can bet Sony and the estate made the money back

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jaywonder For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (1 Week Ago)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    It's all based around return on investment. If the album made a profit, then it was a success.

We have no idea what Sony/the Estate spent on the production and promotional efforts, so it very well could have been a failure. I doubt it though, considering the fact that they mention Xscape in retrospect far more often than they ever referenced Michael, This Is It, or Bad 25.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    It's all based around return on investment. If the album made a profit, then it was a success.
    A minor success isn't much of a success, tho. If Xscape barely made a profit, I don't see why Sony would be inclined to do another posthumous album as it wouldn't be likely to do as well.

We have no idea what Sony/the Estate spent on the production and promotional efforts, so it very well could have been a failure. I doubt it though, considering the fact that they mention Xscape in retrospect far more often than they ever referenced Michael, This Is It, or Bad 25.
    Michael and Bad 25 were flops, iirc.

This Is It was successful, but it came out almost 10 years ago now. It's not gonna be as mentioned as often as Xscape; Xscape is more recent.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    A minor success isn't much of a success, tho. If Xscape barely made a profit, I don't see why Sony would be inclined to do another posthumous album as it wouldn't be likely to do as well.
    I fully agree. The album was clearly a financial success, but none of us know precisely how much Sony spent on marketing and production. So in total fairness, it might not be fair to say that Xscape was an out-right success. It charted incredibly well and sold better than anyone anticipated, that much is undeniable.

Michael and Bad 25 were flops, iirc.

This Is It was successful, but it came out almost 10 years ago now. It's not gonna be as mentioned as often as Xscape; Xscape is more recent.
    Exactly the point. They'll address the success stories, not the failures.

This Is It was their most successful endeavor to date and they let that slip under the radar entirely by the end of 2010, before it was even a year old. Yet here we are, four years out from Xscape, and Sony/the Estate raved about the album and its singles in the Dec. 2017 press release announcing their extended partnership.

Xscape is the only project they've put such an extended emphasis on, which leads me to believe that it did them some good business.

Companies tend to stroke their own egos in press releases, though. Obviously they'll emphasize on what did do well and even exaggerate on it to make themselves look good.

Xscape didn't do that well, iirc. Sales declined pretty fast. "Love Never Felt So Good" was a success, but "A Place With No Name", the only subsequent single, was a flop.

I wouldn't call Bad25 a flop.

Multi disc box sets like that hardly sell huge numbers. If anything, they added the sales to Bad's overall numbers like the 2001 editions.

Michael went gold but the Cascio situation and subpar promotion caused its fall. IMO Michael and Xscape started off with good promotion then drastically dropped after 2 months. As soon as Love Never Felt So Good peaked and did Jeep promotion and hologram, that was it for Xscape.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    To what bar are you all holding Xscape to? Expecting the album to have the same pull as anything by Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, or Drake will result in nothing but shattered dreams, so it's best to be realistic.

At the risk of sounding redundant, it's completely reasonable to dub Xscape a monumental success, especially in terms of posthumous albums. What the return on investment was for Sony/the Estate will likely never be determined, but when observing strict chart performance, it did incredibly well.