Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quincy Jones on Michael Jackson: “He stole a lot of songs”

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    How can he write on his IG that he loved him like a son and yet claimed he was a thief?

Papa Joe treated Michael better than that. JFC.
    I was a king under your control...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TroubleMan84 For This Useful Post:

Kae-Leah (03-09-2018),mjjvibe (03-23-2018),sweetlovers1224 (02-12-2018),toomuch (02-11-2018)

Favorite
    Album
    Music & Me
    Q always seemed a bit of a hater and his recent Chatty Patty antics seem to confirm that. If I didn't know better I'd say he was going to launch a venture of some kind and was whipping up a frenzy to raise his profile with his outlandish comments as that is what gets mileage on the net but on the other hand he's an old Black man now and there are billions out there that act exactly the same once they cross the IDGAF threshold at a certain age. Someone hand him a Black and Mild, a sweat cloth and a Guinness:

"Now, now, now let me tell you about music in my day, you little youngun"

*turns radio up at the cookout*

"What you know about that boy? Huh? Whoooooooo!"

*commences to two step whilst singing along without realizing he's way too drunk for 2 in the afternoon at a family event*

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toomuch For This Useful Post:

mjjvibe (03-23-2018),TroubleMan84 (03-14-2018)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Toomuch I did not expect this talk from you of all people...Srs. I thought I knew ya man lol. Still the way you worded it had me cracking up.

Gary posted the full thing that Greg had to say some time back to broaden perspective over on FB the other day...Maybe I will post his post here if most of you have not caught it.

Dani
    Last edited by Danileevan; 02-12-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    "Take my message to your brother and tell em twice"

"Dancing the Dream"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Danileevan For This Useful Post:

toomuch (02-12-2018)

Favorite
    Album
    Music & Me
    Please do, context would be nice

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I have the book on my kindle that talks about Brad and SIM ..Yet does anyone have those paragraphs handy to throw up here with Greg and Qs words?

Dani

ETA...PG13 is writing an article on it in his own words(I was denied permission to repost) ..That should give the entire context with even more info..
    Last edited by Danileevan; 02-12-2018 at 11:31 PM.
    "Take my message to your brother and tell em twice"

"Dancing the Dream"

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywonder View Post
    ???

Who said anything about Janet giving Joni credit? I was talking about the issue that J Dilla was the one who originally did the music but was never credited, with Jam and Lewis saying they made it.
    *edit* I lied. The song was inspired by J Dilla's remix of the song "Sometimes" by Brand New Heavies. Excuse my dumbassery.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    Obviously Greg Phillinganes wasn't to miffed about not getting a writing credit as he continued to work with Michael for more than a decade after.
    Actually, he was very heartbroken for quite a while. He'd have challenged Michael in court if he believed he stood a chance.

At that time, Greg Phillinganes was not in as good a position as Michael Jackson was. Greg described himself as not being savvy as well.

But he eventually took it as a lesson and ate it.

Quincy is simply backing up what Phillinganes was saying which wasn't all that long ago, really. Yes, Greg also spoke briefly about it when Michael was still alive, but was wary about the possibility of being sued by Michael.

Quincy wasn't exactly talking out of his ass on this.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (03-23-2018)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Actually, he was very heartbroken for quite a while. He'd have challenged Michael in court if he believed he stood a chance.

At that time, Greg Phillinganes was not in as good a position as Michael Jackson was. Greg described himself as not being savvy as well.

Quincy is simply backing up what Phillinganes was saying which wasn't all that long ago, really. Yes, Greg also spoke briefly about it when Michael was still alive, but was wary about the possibility of being sued by Michael.

Interesting.

Quincy says "Michael should’ve given him 10 percent of the song. Wouldn’t do it.", but that isn't really how song writing credits work, right? You can't just give someone 10%, right?

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    Interesting.

Quincy says "Michael should’ve given him 10 percent of the song. Wouldn’t do it.", but that isn't really how song writing credits work, right? You can't just give someone 10%, right?
    Yes, you can and that was what Michael originally agreed with Greg Phillinganes. Michael later had his manager phone Phillinganes up to tell him not to bother signing the contract for it.

Michael had changed his mind on the 10% songwriter credit for Phillinganes.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (03-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post

Further evidenced when Quincy himself didn't credit Greg on The Secret Garden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jaywonder For This Useful Post:

PG13 (04-18-2018)