Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Branca Wants a History Documentary

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory

John Branca Wants a History Documentary

"We definitely want to do a third one," adds Branca. "Thriller would be a logical choice because it's the biggest-selling album in history, but I've always felt that Michael's History album was his most unappreciated. When you really listen to that album, start to finish, you can't help but be blown away at the quality of the music."

Quote from: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...son-doc-857179

I'll give him this -- at least he seems willing to move away from the obvious choices. Props there, Mr. Branca.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Please make it without Mr. Lee, or this Estate for that matter.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (01-23-2016),james283126 (01-23-2016),PG13 (01-23-2016),POF (01-23-2016),SmoothGangsta (01-23-2016),toomuch (04-27-2018)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    ^Why not....

Ok not going to lie... That just won Branca some points in my book. Just please stop using Spike! He's insane and honestly has never wowed me much as a filmmaker.

Go Branca!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billyjeanplxiv For This Useful Post:

james283126 (01-23-2016),sweetlovers1224 (01-23-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Branca did not say he wanted a HIStory album documentary. He said they wanted to do a third one with Thriller being the logical choice. And that he felt HIStory was Michael's most unappreciated album.

It's a subtle difference.

But HIStory unappreciated? That's definitely very relative given it sold 18million copies by March 1998 - 2million below the target set by Sony and MJ. It also set a few records at the time as well. It's tantamount to saying the associated tour is his most unappreciated when it's not as consistent as earlier ones and also his most lucrative tour ($176million) even if he lost money on it cos deals weren't what they should've been.

At any rate, Branca's comments smack very much of manipulation. Keeping in mind the arse kicking he's had for the past 7 years as Co-Executor. He couldn't even come off as genuine in Bad25.

I agree - no more docs with Spike Lee.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (01-23-2016),POF (01-23-2016),TroubleMan84 (01-23-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Let Spike do Thriller too, may as well let him do the trilogy now. But after that get someone else in to do docs about Dangerous, HIStory/BOTDF and finally Invincible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    ^^^Invincible? You know that's gonna end up being a complete whitewash and also a pretty low point career wise.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (01-23-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    History has the makings of an incredible documentary in the right hands. A short prelude regarding the 1993-4 situation (given the context of the album, that can't be glossed over), studio footage, interview footage (both archived of Michael and with collaborators), an honest tour assessment, discussion of Blood on the Dance Floor... there's a deep well of material that can be cut together for this.

Thriller is entirely disposable as far as I'm concerned. What more can be said about that album? Let Spike do that one and throw us some studio footage, then leave everything in the hands of a more-capable filmmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Branca did not say he wanted a HIStory album documentary. He said they wanted to do a third one with Thriller being the logical choice. And that he felt HIStory was Michael's most unappreciated album.
    It doesn't make sense to me that Branca would be in the conversation of a possible third documentary and then, out of nowhere, switch gears and acknowledge History as Michael's most underappreciated album. The two most certainly go hand-in-hand, particularly given the way the quote is phrased: "Thriller would be a logical choice, BUT..."

But HIStory unappreciated? That's definitely very relative given it sold 18million copies by March 1998 - 2million below the target set by Sony and MJ.
    History definitely has not experienced lasting popularity within the general public as the Quincy trifecta (or even certain tracks off Dangerous) have. Whenever it is referenced in any common medium, it's usually to simply admit that it exists. Eighteen year old sales stats don't necessarily equate to widespread appreciation.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

renstimpy1 (01-23-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    ^^^Invincible? You know that's gonna end up being a complete whitewash and also a pretty low point career wise.
    True. But that would complete the "saga" so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BudzMJJ For This Useful Post:

sweetlovers1224 (01-23-2016)