View Poll Results: How did Janet do in your eyes?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantastic as ever!

1 100.00%
  • Disappointing and lacklustre......expected more.

0 0%

Thread: Janet Jackson Glastonbury 2019!

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous

Janet Jackson Glastonbury 2019!

So, Janet has done her thang at Glasto two years after her brothers!

What did you all think?

Some reviewers thought it was great, but most including social media comments thought it was disappointing and lacklustre.

Here's a couple of articles:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ry-2019-review

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats...atrics-3035901
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    ^ Did y'all in the Crocker clan watch it? I don't have a TV and wasn't at Glasto, so I'd have to watch anything that's drifting on the 'ol YouTube first.

The verdicts I saw on social media seemed to be generally bad, though. And the miming thing is why I've always been 'meh' about the idea of ever trying to see her. At least when I saw the brothers, on both occasions it was proper singing *and* dancing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

PG13 (06-30-2019)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    The music journalism world lauds Janet for just about anything these days, which I think is interesting. Everything I heard from people in the audience was terrible - just trashing it, but you have to remember that Glastonbury isn't really an ideal place for more legacy oriented R&B acts. I remember there was a lot of venom over Jay-Z headlining a few years back.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Janet live. I saw her on the Rhythm Nation tour back in 1990 or so and I wasn't overly impressed. I also watched the live in Hawaii DVD that came out years ago and wasn't terribly enthralled with it either. That being said, you can obviously tell how much work she puts into her tours with the choreography, but there's a certain unnaturalness to it all combined with the memorex vocals. Michael had a certain smoothness to him, even on his worst nights, and made the most choreographed dance routines look natural. That's a high bar for anyone, but I find that a lot of the acts who were influenced by him just don't hold a candle with dancing (Chris Brown is probably the exception, but yeah).

Anyway, I'm glad Janet is still touring. I don't know if Glastonbury was a good fit for her, but I'm sure she's laughing all the way to the bank.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    The music journalism world lauds Janet for just about anything these days, which I think is interesting. Everything I heard from people in the audience was terrible - just trashing it, but you have to remember that Glastonbury isn't really an ideal place for more legacy oriented R&B acts. I remember there was a lot of venom over Jay-Z headlining a few years back.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Janet live. I saw her on the Rhythm Nation tour back in 1990 or so and I wasn't overly impressed. I also watched the live in Hawaii DVD that came out years ago and wasn't terribly enthralled with it either. That being said, you can obviously tell how much work she puts into her tours with the choreography, but there's a certain unnaturalness to it all combined with the memorex vocals. Michael had a certain smoothness to him, even on his worst nights, and made the most choreographed dance routines look natural. That's a high bar for anyone, but I find that a lot of the acts who were influenced by him just don't hold a candle with dancing (Chris Brown is probably the exception, but yeah).

Anyway, I'm glad Janet is still touring. I don't know if Glastonbury was a good fit for her, but I'm sure she's laughing all the way to the bank.
    Janet has most definitely moved into live singing since the start of her Unbreakable Tour in 2015. She hardly lipsyncs anymore and it's obvious if you compare to performances prior to that tour. As for most of your opinions I can respectfully disagree with what you say because Janet is definitely a choreography powerhouse. Many modern singers and dancers credit Janet (as well as Michael) for becoming artists today. She's definitely a smooth dancer,but she's no spring chicken either. What other 53 year old is going up on stage doing choreography like If,Rhythm Nation,All For You,Doesn't Really Matter,etc.,singing live,and making sure everything is done perfect like it was when those songs were first released and performed? There's not many acts like Janet left and I definitely believe that Janet and Michael are on the same level in terms of showmanship. Michael is the best male entertainer and Janet is the best female entertainer and those facts are undeniable. No other artist in the last thirty years can cusp those accolades. And don't get me started on Chris Brown who essentially ripped off the Usher formula to build a career off of.

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlovers1224 View Post
    Janet has most definitely moved into live singing since the start of her Unbreakable Tour in 2015. She hardly lipsyncs anymore and it's obvious if you compare to performances prior to that tour. As for most of your opinions I can respectfully disagree with what you say because Janet is definitely a choreography powerhouse. Many modern singers and dancers credit Janet (as well as Michael) for becoming artists today. She's definitely a smooth dancer,but she's no spring chicken either. What other 53 year old is going up on stage doing choreography like If,Rhythm Nation,All For You,Doesn't Really Matter,etc.,singing live,and making sure everything is done perfect like it was when those songs were first released and performed? There's not many acts like Janet left and I definitely believe that Janet and Michael are on the same level in terms of showmanship. Michael is the best male entertainer and Janet is the best female entertainer and those facts are undeniable. No other artist in the last thirty years can cusp those accolades. And don't get me started on Chris Brown who essentially ripped off the Usher formula to build a career off of.
    Yeah, I'll always respect Janet's stage hustle. She's stayed remarkably sane through the years and deserves a lot of credit.