Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Branca: Unreleased Music Unlikely in the Foreseeable Future

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    J5 auditioned for Motown in December '68 if I remember correctly. But I don't think the deal was sealed until early '69
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMcNuggets View Post

Didn't Hip-O-Select release a lot of Supremes stuff? Too bad that label's dead now. But there was loads of new J5 stuff between 2009 and 2012 anyway, I was referring to '75-'84 era Jacksons.
    Yes, Hip-O had some decent Surpremes releases. Destiny, Triumph & Victory need imo a similar treatment.

The Supremes, Let Yourself Go: The '70s Albums, Vol. 2 1974-1977 - The Final Sessions (Motown/Hip-o Select, 2011)

Disc 1: The Supremes and related sessions

He's My Man
    Early Morning Love
    Where Is It I Belong
    It's All Been Said Before
    This is Why I Believe in You
    You Can't Stop a Girl in Love
    Color My World Blue
    Give Out, But Don't Give Up
    Where Do I Go from Here
    You Turn Me Around
    The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)
    The Sha-La Bandit (Alternate Version 3)
    Color My World Blue (Alternate Version)
    Mr. Boogie
    Dance Fever
    Seed of Love
    Give Out, But Don't Give Up (Group Lead Version)
    You Can't Stop a Girl in Love (Early Version)
    Bend a Little (Extended Version)
    I Can Never Recover
    Can We Love Again
    Where Do I Go from Here (Single Remix)
    The Sha-La Bandit (Alternate Version 1)
    He's My Man (Extended Version)

Tracks 11-20 previously unreleased

Disc 2: High Energy and related sessions

High Energy
    I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking
    Only You (Can Love Me Like You Love Me)
    You Keep Me Moving On
    Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You
    Till The Boat Sails Away
    I Don't Want to Lose You
    You're What's Missing in My Life
    High Energy (Russ Terrana Mix)
    I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking (Russ Terrana Mix)
    Only You (Can Love Me Like You Love Me) (Russ Terrana Mix)
    You Keep Me Moving On (Russ Terrana Mix)
    Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You (Russ Terrana Mix)
    Till the Boat Sails Away (Russ Terrana Mix)
    I Don't Want to Lose You (Russ Terrana Mix)
    You're What's Missing in My Life (Russ Terrana Mix)
    There's Room At the Top (Alternate Version)
    You're What's Missing in My Life (Mary Wilson Lead Version)
    I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking (Susaye Greene Lead Version)

Disc 3: Mary, Scherrie & Susaye and more alternates

You're My Driving Wheel
    Sweet Dream Machine
    Let Yourself Go
    Come Into My Life
    We Should Be Closer Together
    I Don't Want to Be Tied Down
    You Are the Heart of Me
    Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good
    Give Out, But Don't Give Up (Mary Wilson Lead Version)
    High Energy (Alternate Version)
    I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking (Alternate Version)
    Only You (Can Love Me Like You Love Me) (Alternate Version)
    You're What's Missing in My Life (Scherrie Payne Lead Version)
    You're My Driving Wheel (Alternate Version)
    Sweet Dream Machine (Alternate Version)
    Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good (Alternate Version)

Disc 1, Tracks 1-10 released as The Supremes (Motown M6-828 S1, 1975)
    Disc 1, Tracks 11-20, Tracks 11, 12 and 14-19 and Disc 3, Tracks 9-16 previously unreleased
    Disc 1, Tracks 21 and 23-24 and Disc 2, Track 13 from The '70s Anthology (Motown 064127, 2002)
    Disc 1, Track 22 from Motown single M-1374F, 1975
    Disc 2, Tracks 1-9 released as High Energy (Motown M-863 S1, 1976)
    Disc 3, Tracks 1-8 released as Mary, Scherrie & Susaye (Motown M-873 S1, 1976)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Yeah, the Jackson 5 began recording in 1967 (their first single was released in January 1968, way before they auditioned for Motown). There seems to be no love for the post-Jackson 5 era which the Jacksons emerge from between 1976 and 1981.

--- Merged Posts ---

Quote Originally Posted by BudzMJJ View Post
    J5 auditioned for Motown in December '68 if I remember correctly. But I don't think the deal was sealed until early '69
    Their first Motown audition wasn't December of 1968, it was on July 23, 1968 at one of Motown's offices at Detroit's Woodward Ave (that has since been taken down). Berry signed them after he saw the audition that same month but had to negotiate to get them out because Joseph had signed a deal with William Adams (aka Gordon Keith) for Steeltown Records (at the same time the Jackson 5 auditioned for Motown, Gordon was trying to negotiate a deal with Atlantic Records to sign the group; he claimed when he tried to sell his "rights" of the group to Atlantic, they told him that the Jackson 5 had already signed with Motown). Took Berry a good eight months before they were given a new contract in March 1969.
    I was a king under your control...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TroubleMan84 For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (11-23-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    "I Want You Back" was released at the tailend of 1969 and hit number 1 in January 1970, so I'd really put it from 1969 first single release.

That's when they knew they were here to stay.

2019 is the 50th anniversary of IWYB being released.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    ^It was the nationwide live broadcasted Ed Sullivan Show (Dec 14) which introduced them to a larger audience.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POF For This Useful Post:

TroubleMan84 (11-24-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Yes, to promote IWYB and the b side Who's Loving You. Still took another month to hit the top spot which was when they knew they were here to stay.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am if the estate had shown themselves to be capable of producing anything of quality.

Look at the output from the Estate that doesn't involve new material. It's pretty underwhelming, no? For me, the new music was the strongest part of the last six years. Even when butchered by another producer I couldn't help but smile when hearing his voice on a new track.

The market is over saturated with MJ and there needs to be time taken off, I agree. And they should space out the releases to allow for new generations to experience MJ. But next year is the end of the Sony contract, after which I presume there will be an extended period of complete silence.

And rather than go out with a bang, the estate seems to be choosing to shove Thriller down our throats more with a project that, if their track record is consistent, will suck. And it's clear at this point that it's likely to do poorly, considering the lack of success for Bad and Off the Wall. (I know Thriller has better brand recognition, but Bad and Off the Wall are second and third as far as commercial/critical attention is concerned, and those were both massive failures.)

Music isn't the backbone of the estate, but neither are concerts or documentaries or The Jacksons. And if the complaints by people who are interested in seeing another Spike Lee documentary or a Victory Tour release are valid, why aren't those who want to hear more music?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

iWishiWereInvincible (11-29-2016),mjjvibe (12-12-2016)

11. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a lot of unheard material to release. He may have done hundreds of songs, but who wants to hear mumbling scratch vocals on an official release? They're better off sticking with merch and experiences like Immortal and One for now. Have any of these posthumous albums really lived up to the greatness of the albums released when he was alive?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick2341 For This Useful Post:

Billyjeanplxiv (11-24-2016),Snowbunny Sorcerer (05-30-2017)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Quote Originally Posted by nick2341 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a lot of unheard material to release. He may have done hundreds of songs, but who wants to hear mumbling scratch vocals on an official release? They're better off sticking with merch and experiences like Immortal and One for now. Have any of these posthumous albums really lived up to the greatness of the albums released when he was alive?
    I think Xscape was better than 'Vince.

But again, I don't think it's fair to assess the posthumous albums, given that they've really been handled so poorly. You can't throw a bunch of outtakes from various eras and expect a great album - we learnt this from 2Pacs legacy. Also, I don't think the power of the hard core fan should be underestimated, if you put out a product worth promoting, they will be your loudest and free cheering squad. Many artists still have their careers because of this.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (11-24-2016),Billyjeanplxiv (11-24-2016),mjjvibe (12-12-2016),ozemoze22 (04-29-2018),POF (11-24-2016),SmoothGangsta (11-24-2016)

15. Quote Originally Posted by nick2341 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a lot of unheard material to release. He may have done hundreds of songs, but who wants to hear mumbling scratch vocals on an official release?
    I do, hell I dug the **** out of "People of the world" and he was literally just mumbling and making up words, I also really liked "Days in Gloucester" and again not much there. I'll take anything from the vault I can get. I don't consider that "Self entitlement" as PG put it either. He's gone and we can't look forward to new MJ material so I don't see what's wrong with getting left over material that he would have thrown on an ultimate collection 2.0 in 15 years anyway. Besides, I'm sure he would have wanted it this way anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Also, and no disrespect intended because I like what you do, but you have (I'm assuming) a lot of access to MJ material be it multitracks, some unreleased material(maybe) etc. so you're not really in the want for MJ content like some of us are

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to james283126 For This Useful Post:

iWishiWereInvincible (11-29-2016),mjjvibe (12-12-2016),ozemoze22 (04-29-2018)