Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 100

Thread: New Thriller-Related Project Confirmed by John Landis

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,165

    Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Prince's estate is reissuing Purple Rain a few days from now. The new packaging includes a multi-page hardcover photo book, a remaster of the original album, a disc of previously unreleased songs (some of which have leaked in some shape or form), a disc of single edits and B-sides, and a DVD of a live performance from 1985. Prince himself oversaw all aspects of this release prior to his death, yes, but nonetheless it is still the product we're getting.

    So what does Thriller, by all means the more successful and renowned album, get in comparison? A short film remaster jumping on the 3D bandwagon three years too late, and a documentary that (assuming its again directed by Spike Lee) will drop the ball in lazy and offensive ways.

    What the hell? Is it really THAT difficult to put together a halfway decent product? There's a little more effort here than they gave for that godawful Off the Wall reissue, but it's still embarrassingly mediocre. Plus, we get to have Thriller shoved down our throats again, so... yay.
    Thriller has had the kind of treatment for years that Purple Rain hasn't had. You didn't even contrast them!

    However, that's pretty much what the Estate did for Bad25 and the sales really was not good. No surprise they're not in a rush to do that again and we all knew they wouldn't.

    You won't see that for Dangerous either.

    Thriller is the most successful album of all time, especially the outlay to profit ratio. Again, no surprise that there's another re-release.

    It would now have to be something pretty special for me to even buy. Some of us lived through Thriller re-releases before the 2000s.

    It's still the juggernaut to end all juggernauts. It's Michael's Top Hat, Singing In The Rain and Enter The Dragon. Legendary, quality products that will always sell however it's packaged.

    I'll more than likely pass on the latest Thriller release.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

    Snowbunny Sorcerer (07-01-2017),Universe (06-30-2017)

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Batcave
    Posts
    3,021

    Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Prince's estate is reissuing Purple Rain a few days from now. The new packaging includes a multi-page hardcover photo book, a remaster of the original album, a disc of previously unreleased songs (some of which have leaked in some shape or form), a disc of single edits and B-sides, and a DVD of a live performance from 1985. Prince himself oversaw all aspects of this release prior to his death, yes, but nonetheless it is still the product we're getting.
    Prince oversaw the remaster. Which sucks. Everything else; no.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

    AlwaysThere (06-23-2017),PG13 (06-25-2017)

  5. I don't have to amend my gravestone engraving, do I?

    R.I.P. some dude that was also a fan of the King of Pop, Michael Jackson
    He never got to hold a commercial copy of the THRILLER album with "Hot Street" on it!

  6. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A Place with No Name... ;)
    Posts
    3,188

    Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Thriller has had the kind of treatment for years that Purple Rain hasn't had. You didn't even contrast them!

    However, that's pretty much what the Estate did for Bad25 and the sales really was not good. No surprise they're not in a rush to do that again and we all knew they wouldn't.

    You won't see that for Dangerous either.

    Thriller is the most successful album of all time, especially the outlay to profit ratio. Again, no surprise that there's another re-release.

    It would now have to be something pretty special for me to even buy. Some of us lived through Thriller re-releases before the 2000s.

    It's still the juggernaut to end all juggernauts. It's Michael's Top Hat, Singing In The Rain and Enter The Dragon. Legendary, quality products that will always sell however it's packaged.

    I'll more than likely pass on the latest Thriller release.
    Thriller being a guaranteed sales pull doesn't detract from the fact that it's the most fatigued record in Michael's discography. Passing around the attention isn't such a crazy thought.

    Reissues haven't raised any eyebrows. The 2001 special edition was solid enough, even though they chopped Carousel in half, but Thriller25 was relatively terrible. Five so-so remixes, a Dangerous outtake (for whatever reason), and a legitimate but mediocre Thriller outtake.

    The forthcoming Purple Rain reissue is far more expansive, and feels celebratory rather than a desperate bid for relevancy/money, as this Thriller project does.

    I don't expect another Bad25 level expenditure, but a reissue of the short film in 3D and another likely mediocre documentary cannot be the best the estate is capable of.

  7. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,288

    Favorite
    Album
    HIStory

    New Thriller-Related Project Confirmed by John Landis

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Thriller being a guaranteed sales pull doesn't detract from the fact that it's the most fatigued record in Michael's discography. Passing around the attention isn't such a crazy thought.

    Reissues haven't raised any eyebrows. The 2001 special edition was solid enough, even though they chopped Carousel in half, but Thriller25 was relatively terrible. Five so-so remixes, a Dangerous outtake (for whatever reason), and a legitimate but mediocre Thriller outtake.

    The forthcoming Purple Rain reissue is far more expansive, and feels celebratory rather than a desperate bid for relevancy/money, as this Thriller project does.

    I don't expect another Bad25 level expenditure, but a reissue of the short film in 3D and another likely mediocre documentary cannot be the best the estate is capable of.
    It may seem fatigued to certain people in the fanbase, but to the general public? I think a Thriller re-release is the best thing to do (if they were to do a re-release). I love 3D Movies, and have a ton of 3D Blurays. Even post converted films like Jurassic Park look amazing and I am eagerly awaiting the upcoming Terminator 2 conversion.

    Thriller is the album people think of when they think of MJ. If this ends up in theaters before 3D Movies it would be great. Regardless I think many people here would love to see Thriller in the quality it was filmed in (restored from the film print), not some VHS transfer like we have had since forever.

  8. #46
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,165

    Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Thriller being a guaranteed sales pull doesn't detract from the fact that it's the most fatigued record in Michael's discography. Passing around the attention isn't such a crazy thought.

    Reissues haven't raised any eyebrows. The 2001 special edition was solid enough, even though they chopped Carousel in half, but Thriller25 was relatively terrible. Five so-so remixes, a Dangerous outtake (for whatever reason), and a legitimate but mediocre Thriller outtake.

    The forthcoming Purple Rain reissue is far more expansive, and feels celebratory rather than a desperate bid for relevancy/money, as this Thriller project does.

    I don't expect another Bad25 level expenditure, but a reissue of the short film in 3D and another likely mediocre documentary cannot be the best the estate is capable of.
    Like I said, Thriller is the juggernaut to end all juggernauts. It's still Michael's top seller, easily. Still the MJ product most likely to sell.

    Of course, Thriller has been done to death. Very logical. So has Enter The Dragon. Both still sell massively compared to their other projects.

    What's your point??

    Whatever people think of past multiple Thriller reissues and the upcoming Purple Rain reissue.......point is that Thriller has always had better treatment than Purple Rain.

    I've got Bad25. Don't really bother with it or all the stuff that was in the deluxe boxset. Same goes for other boxsets over the years I've got at the time of release. Don't bother with them.

    Boxsets are nice at the time, but years later you realise how little you bother with something you put a fair whack of money down for.

    Who cares about Purple Rain getting a boxset? It's got nothing to do with Thriller or the MJ Estate.

    Of the two, it's the MJ Estate that will invariably have better products over time than the Prince Estate.

    Michael's had his boxsets. Purple Rain is what TUC and Bad25 were.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

  9. #47
    another doc is fine.

    honestly, what else could the estate do at this point? there's really not much of a market for unreleased outtakes. i'd like to get fully remastered HD versions of concert performances soon though. think there's a market for that since mj is commonly regarded as the greatest entertainer of all time

  10. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A Place with No Name... ;)
    Posts
    3,188

    Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    honestly, what else could the estate do at this point? there's really not much of a market for unreleased outtakes. i'd like to get fully remastered HD versions of concert performances soon though. think there's a market for that since mj is commonly regarded as the greatest entertainer of all time
    Concerts are far less profitable than new material.

    Michael's first two posthumous studio albums didn't break the bank, but they performed rather strongly. Xscape was actually one of Sony's best sellers of 2014, if memory serves. Concert films/documentaries, on the other hand, very rarely make waves, even for A-list artists.

    At the end of the day though, Michael's core discography will stand the test of time. If they're going to do something with his unreleased material, at least make it worthwhile.

  11. #49
    an mj bluray/dvd collection would sell fine as far bluray/dvds go.

    there isn't much interest in new mj music anymore. michael and xscape didn't even sell that well as albums

  12. #50
    Hey, I'll be seeing it. Thriller lends itself shot wise to 3D post-conversion. If they're using the original film it'll look great and clean on the big screen. I'll get a hot date and we'll go see it at night

    Why a summer release though? Thriller is at it's strongest around Halloween. It'd be nice if they place it before another film. Give me a music video over the god awful commercials they waste 15 minutes on before the actual trailers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •