View Poll Results: What is your favourite leg of the Bad Tour?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • First leg (1987)

4 30.77%
  • Second leg (1988-89)

9 69.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite leg of the Bad Tour?

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    That was the problem with the HIStory Tour. Those gold pants only allowed his third leg to really shine.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (09-26-2016),PG13 (09-26-2016),POF (09-26-2016),SmoothGangsta (09-26-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

SmoothGangsta (09-26-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    That was the problem with the HIStory Tour. Those gold pants only allowed his third leg to really shine.

Does his golden DWT diaper suit turn you on too?

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Although I too would give the honor of "favorite leg" to the second leg of the tour (because Michael was "on fire" there - he was truly at the zenith of his performing abilities), there is something a bit more natural, atmospheric, and serene about the first leg to me (not that "trying harder" on the second leg was a bad thing... it was better than trying "too little" a la the HIStory tour). I too appreciate the inclusion of Jackson 5 songs and SYBDTTG on the first leg.

But as for the first leg vs. the second leg debate, no matter which you prefer, they're both stellar. As PG13 said in another thread, MJ was quickly and elegantly busting out moves donning 40lb+ jackets and a handheld mic on the Bad Tour, and with mostly live vocals to boot. This is a far cry from his slow-as-molasses (comparatively) and uninspired performances later on in his career. I know Michael was prevalent to be vocal about detesting touring since the early 80s, but he didn't even try to hide it later on and his performances suffered because of it (although admittedly, he was not in nearly as good a place psychologically and physically in the 90s and early 2000s as he was in the 80s). His performances also suffered because he gravitated towards the notion of conveying himself as a "Christ" like "Messiah" figure or "the savior of children" over time (which might have been just a tad cringe-inducing), and that's very different from the sheer funk and raw soul he put into his earlier performances.
    Last edited by ShadowDeeps; 10-01-2016 at 03:58 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShadowDeeps For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (09-27-2016),ChickenMcNuggets (09-26-2016),Danileevan (04-24-2017)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    The '88-'89 leg, off top.
    I was a king under your control...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TroubleMan84 For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (04-24-2017),POF (09-27-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    '88-'89 wins by a country mile.

The first leg gives off the impression that Michael didn't have enough time to piece a decent show together, so he took the Victory set list and tacked on Thriller, I Just Can't Stop Loving You and Bad. It well executed well by the band and the dancers and whatnot, but it just feels... lazy to me.

(Granted, the Victory set list was substandard to begin with considering the lack of Victory songs, but it made no sense to be adapted for Michael's solo set.)

But Bad's second leg? Now THAT was a show.

Great set list, great energy, great choreography... far superior in my view.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (09-27-2016),Danileevan (04-24-2017),POF (09-27-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    ^Yeah, the 2nd leg set list was (almost) perfect. I can only moan the lack of DSTYGE.

I see the 1st leg as some kind of warming up for his first solo tour. IMO MJ clearly wanted a familiar environment, hence the Victory vibe.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to POF For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (04-24-2017)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Michael Jackson was clear in 1987 that the Victory esque set list was because he had never performed those songs in Australia and Japan. He called it a greatest hits tour.

There's nothing lazy about those dates.

But the 1988 second leg setlist was what Michael said it was in reference to himself. "Now, I'm the man I always wanted to be."

And he firmly kept his eyes on Wembley which was his goal. He wanted a spectacular show just to literally make history at Wembley. The concerts he performed the second leg setlist were effectively warmups and tightening well ahead of the Wembley concerts. He was known to make constant reference to Wembley as a result.

I'll go with the second leg. Michael finally felt he'd found himself as a performer and he did some incredible stuff during that. Bad Tour 1988 is his apex to end all apexes.

Dangerous tour had the toaster jump, but nothing really beats Michael's sheer performance feats on the second leg of the Bad tour. He never really came close and I think he knew that.

He enjoyed himself like he didn't on Victory, Dangerous or HIStory tours.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (04-24-2017),TommyVercetti (09-28-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    While I really did like the 1st leg a whole bunch, and miss shake your body down in the 2nd leg, seeing MJ perform at wembley you could see how much energy he had there and how much bigger he/production seemed than in say yokohama. Perhaps it had to do with the Royals being there or perhaps it was the crowd. The Japanese I have heard were told to sit down and make no noise during MJs concert, so MJ and back crew being surprised pushed as hard as they could to get something out of the crowd there (which still seemed dead to me compared to wembley) Also has anyone noticed that any song done in the USA for Bad the crowd just seems WAY more dead than the EURO crowds.?