Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best books?

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    The standards of books on Michael Jackson though are NOT at a comparable level to those written for other pop/rock acts of the 20th century.

They ARE definitely inferior by comparison. Even published articles and blogs on MJ are jokes next to superior ones for others.

Michael Jackson has been compared to Mozart, but books on Mozart are clearly better.

Even my book on Stan Winston trumps any MJ book. Easily.
    By what objective standards exactly?

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    ^^^Hello, Psychoniff!

Looking at books on Mozart, what is striking first is howell varied it all is. Although his life has been written about, serious writers are still able to find another angle. His biography has been written about, yes. But so has his relationships with various women in his life starting with his mother - in its own book. It's done in s serious manner.

Compare that to any on Michael Jackson's life. They're either writing about the crazy circus or the focus is very fancentric and narrow. You don't really get one that brings out the man as he was. So far anyway.

Letters of Mozart and Bruce Lee, for example, inform you as to who they were using their own words.

In terms of artistry, even books dealing with Bruce Lee's art is rich in detail and varied.

Let me add that there's no real book about his dancing. Certainly nothing like that on the Nicholas Brothers written by Valis Hill. Despite Michael's proximity and friendships with some of the greatest dancers of our time.

That's enough to point out without talking about neurology research into Mozart's music and some into his life including the possibility he had tourettes.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    We're probably too close to the subject matter right now, in terms of the broader span of history, to get many truly objective books on MJ where the author doesn't feel the need to appease fans. I'd say "wait until all the crazy stans are dead" but we'll be long gone as well by then, lol.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMcNuggets View Post
    We're probably too close to the subject matter right now, in terms of the broader span of history, to get many truly objective books on MJ where the author doesn't feel the need to appease fans. I'd say "wait until all the crazy stans are dead" but we'll be long gone as well by then, lol.
    Not so sure I fully agree with that. But it depends on what you mean precisely.

Do you think it's not realistic to have objective books about people within the lifetimes of those who knew then and their fans?

What I always liked about Bruce Lee was his honesty and directness. The fact he was that way inclined largely means his estate run by his daughter emphasises her father's humanity.

And she was very young when her father died. Younger than Blanket or whatever he calls himself.

There are myths around Bruce Lee as a legend as well yet the honesty is a fundamental part of the success not only of the Dragon, but also his estate.

Speaking more broadly in terms of history, the demise of the Samurai of Japan was very recent. Despite the myths around them, there's been huge effort to be objective about their lives. Especially with the most famous of them all, SAIGO Takamori who is known as the Last Samurai.

Proximity to history isn't always a barrier to objectivity.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

5. I've just read most of the 'Making Michael' book that has been hyped up recently.

I learned a few new things:

-Scared of the Moon came about when a child friend or relative of MJ said she was scared of the Moon. An engineer told Michael thats where the word "lunatic"
    comes from. Thats how that song came about

-Their are a few quotes of Quincy not wanting 'Smooth Criminal' on the album, but Michael adored the song

-MJ was considering using 'Smooth Criminal' as an album title but Quincy was against having a black kid come out with that title

-During the Blood on the Dance Floor period, there is a few quotes of MJ being abusive to staff and not really being himself

-MJ wanting to play King Tutankhamun in a tv series or movie in the 2000's came up a number of times. Apparently it (or movies in a general sense) came up during negotiations with AEG

The book is okay. But not much new that you can't already find in fan forums or interviews.

Did you know all of the above PG?

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by mack86 View Post

Did you know all of the above PG?
    Of course! The bit about wanting to play King Tut is easily available and not really hard to find info.

Where does the author source Quincy not wanting Smooth Criminal on the album?

Bet he says Q didn't like Billie Jean too which was a rumour started by Jackie Jackson. Q was pissed with that one.

7. Hmm, actually looking at it again it might not be so clear. Could be a slight exaggeration by the author.

"In mid-February, Michael began shooting a video for 'Smooth Criminal' at Universal Studios in Los Angeles. But Quincy admitted he didn't even want the song to be included on the album. "I gotta be honest, I was never a big fan of that song, " he said. But Michael stood his ground and insisted on its inclusion. "Michael loved it to pieces, man, " Quincy said. Chapter 8, p 53

It has sources at the back which states: "Quincy Jones Bad". Not sure what that source is exactly.

With Billie Jean, the author doesn't make the claim that Quincy wanted it out, but mentions the rumor which Quincy "flatly denied"
    Last edited by mack86; 10-09-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Perhaps the Bad special edition interviews? Haven't listen to them in ages.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    If I remember right, Quincy never says on Bad 2001 SE that he wanted it off the album either. I've yet to see a quote where he says that just like the one for Billie Jean.

In fact, JRT was the first to claim Quincy didn't want Smooth Criminal on Bad, but....crucially....He never once quotes Quincy on the subject. Nothing. Nowt. Nada.

Favorite
    Album
    Music & Me
    Isn't anyone of the more knowledgeable fountain of information types on here working on what could become the definitive MJ book? If not, why not? <thumps desk>