Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Engineer Tom Perry on the making of the Jacksons’ 1980 album Triumph" (Wax Poetics)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall

"Engineer Tom Perry on the making of the Jacksons’ 1980 album Triumph" (Wax Poetics)

This is a really fantastic interview.

By the end of the 1970s, the Jacksons experienced a lineup substitution, two label moves from Motown Records to CBS Records to Epic Records, and a recognizable name change. After their switch from Motown Records to CBS Records in 1975, the brothers began exploring the depths of their musical creativity and were given the opportunity to showcase their songwriting abilities on their self-titled gold selling debut, The Jacksons, in 1976. Under the tutelage of the legendary production duo, Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, they worked diligently to find their trademark groove and this experience served them well, as they entered the next phase of their respective careers. Two years later, the quintet regained the success that had been eluding them since their Motown days with the release of their multiplatinum selling album, Destiny. Itching to become a solo artist, Michael Jackson tested the waters by branching out on his own and recorded his second solo album that would validate his decision. Off the Wall placed him in esteemed company, and it set the stage for the collective to capitalize on this momentum. They returned to the studio to craft their next album. On September 26, 1980, Triumph was released by Epic Records. It became they’re second consecutive smash album. The record would spawn five singles, including the hits: “Heartbreak Hotel” (now known as “This Place Hotel”), “Can You Feel It,” “Lovely One,” “Walk Right Now,” and “Time Waits for No One.” In observance of Black Music Month and Michael Jackson’s legacy, we spoke with legendary engineer Tom Perry about his role in constructing this classic album.
    http://www.waxpoetics.com/features/a...eer-tom-perry/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (06-24-2016),mack86 (06-24-2016),PG13 (06-24-2016),POF (06-24-2016),TroubleMan84 (06-24-2016)

3. I quote

Regarding 'Can you feel it':

"Michael was the driving force behind this song"

This is what I thought. I think MJ came up with the rhythm, overarching theme/concept and a lot of the lyrics, not just the first 6 seconds

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    This is the kind of album we need a documentary for. Destiny and Victory too, for slightly different reasons...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

james283126 (07-03-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Nice article. The Triumph album was probably the Jacksons' masterpiece recording.
    I was a king under your control...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TroubleMan84 For This Useful Post:

POF (06-24-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by mack86 View Post
    I quote

Regarding 'Can you feel it':

"Michael was the driving force behind this song"

This is what I thought. I think MJ came up with the rhythm, overarching theme/concept and a lot of the lyrics, not just the first 6 seconds
    The engineer was clearly talking about the recording of CYFI rather than the actual writing of the song. That's two different and separate things.

We do know that Michael wrote the first 6 seconds as well as the prelude in the video. That was confirmed by the brothers in 1981 with Danny Baker.

The quote has to be kept in the context of what he's talking about and his role as engineer. Tom Perry obviously wasn't involved in the writing of the song.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

POF (06-25-2016),TroubleMan84 (06-25-2016)

"Wondering Who" is underrated

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Universe For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (06-24-2016),TroubleMan84 (06-25-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    My favorite song off the album (well maybe this is a tie) were Give It Up and Time Waits for No One but all the tracks were great.
    I was a king under your control...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TroubleMan84 For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (06-25-2016),Jam2008 (06-26-2016),POF (06-26-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by TroubleMan84 View Post
    My favorite song off the album (well maybe this is a tie) were Give It Up and Time Waits for No One but all the tracks were great.
    Same here, man. The whole album is a gem, but those two are extra special imo.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    I've developed a 'thing' for Your Ways in recent times. But really, the whole album has hidden (or at least not as unhidden as they should be) gems.

Also, can people not post Jacksons threads in the Come Together section as it gets on my Jermaine-like moobs? Moving this to Victory.

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Tom Perry:He called me again, and we cut some stuff with Latoya. Another time he called me, and we began working on some songs that he was demoing. One of them was “Billie Jean.” I’m jumping ahead a little bit, but “Billie Jean” was the last thing I worked on with Michael. We spent about three months on that single because we kept redoing the strings and horns on the demo. At some point, it was taken over by Quincy Jones.

Aren't the 2002 leaked demos of BJ & WBSS from that session?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMcNuggets View Post

Also, can people not post Jacksons threads in the Come Together section as it gets on my Jermaine-like moobs? Moving this to Victory.
    Why have you moved this informative and not only Jacksons related thread to the greasy bog area of MaxJax forums?