Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: John Branca Wants a History Documentary

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    A documentary could be interesting (as long as it is by someone else) IMO it is one of his most creative albums.
    It's a traaaap! - Admiral Ackbar

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I would genuinely love to see a balls-to-the-wall documentary (History or otherwise) that overall paints a positive picture but still acknowledges difficulties and faults.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this elsewhere, but that's a substantial reason I'm interested in that Making Michael book that a couple people received before its release was delayed (I believe Danny was one of them?). As far as I've heard, it discusses Michael as someone who indulges in recklessness, carelessness, his ego, so on and so forth. It doesn't paint him as a God among men as the Estate seems set on doing -- it paints him as a human being with faults and lapses of sense.

But imagine the fury of the Stans if a documentary came out in which someone spoke of Michael being rude or anything of the sort. Heads would roll.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (01-25-2016),POF (01-26-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    I would genuinely love to see a balls-to-the-wall documentary (History or otherwise) that overall paints a positive picture but still acknowledges difficulties and faults.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this elsewhere, but that's a substantial reason I'm interested in that Making Michael book that a couple people received before its release was delayed (I believe Danny was one of them?). As far as I've heard, it discusses Michael as someone who indulges in recklessness, carelessness, his ego, so on and so forth. It doesn't paint him as a God among men as the Estate seems set on doing -- it paints him as a human being with faults and lapses of sense.

But imagine the fury of the Stans if a documentary came out in which someone spoke of Michael being rude or anything of the sort. Heads would roll.
    Yes you would like the book a lot. It is the most honest MJ thing I've read and it has a lot of great info and is focused on the music, although you will hear a lot about his personality and dark side through what the collaborators say.

Is that book out now? I still have no idea why my copy I preordered showed up in October if it got delayed.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (01-25-2016),BudzMJJ (01-25-2016),DingBat (01-25-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    Yes you would like the book a lot. It is the most honest MJ thing I've read and it has a lot of great info and is focused on the music, although you will hear a lot about his personality and dark side through what the collaborators say.

Is that book out now? I still have no idea why my copy I preordered showed up in October if it got delayed.
    That's exactly what I want out of a documentary - unbiased, honest evaluations of the man at his best and his worst.

Checking the website now, it still says "Coming early 2016" unfortunately. No clue what the cause of the delay was, but you're quite lucky for getting it first!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Nesboy43 (01-26-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I may have to get a copy of that when it comes out, sounds very interesting indeed. Are we aware of who the sources are and how reliable/credible they are?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by BudzMJJ View Post
    I may have to get a copy of that when it comes out, sounds very interesting indeed. Are we aware of who the sources are and how reliable/credible they are?
    The back section of the book goes page by page, and lists the start of the sentence with whoever said it. A ton of sources and all are documented. I really enjoyed reading stuff by Bill Bottrell and Sandy Gallin especially. It is a mix of stuff that is deeply hidden out there as well as newly done interviews.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (01-26-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Branca will have the HIStory documentary talking about the tour as well. He's quoted as saying it's Michael's last tour. Expect that to ignore the fact Michael mimed. Even Brad Sundberg deliberately ignores questions about Michael's miming.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Somewhat off-topic, but it's nice to have a mature discussion here without any sly comments or annoyances. Reason #1 why I love this board.
    That's because we all (almost all!) of us know and understand our honesty is just that - honesty. And nothing personal towards MJ or anything.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (01-27-2016),BudzMJJ (01-26-2016),Nesboy43 (01-26-2016),SmoothGangsta (01-26-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    The back section of the book goes page by page, and lists the start of the sentence with whoever said it. A ton of sources and all are documented. I really enjoyed reading stuff by Bill Bottrell and Sandy Gallin especially. It is a mix of stuff that is deeply hidden out there as well as newly done interviews.
    Ah sweet. I love a book that actually provides the sources. Gonna preorder that one next week.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Branca will have the HIStory documentary talking about the tour as well. He's quoted as saying it's Michael's last tour. Expect that to ignore the fact Michael mimed. Even Brad Sundberg deliberately ignores questions about Michael's miming.
    Yeah, no one from that era will really talk about that. I have tried Tweeting, emailing and posting to people on Gearslutz about it and they all just seem to ignore it or breeze over the matter.
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    ^^^In that regard, the autopsy itself provides clues. It would have to be raked up again which I plan to do at some point.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I only read the autopsy once back when it first surfaced. I don't remember much, but something about the state of his vocal cords not being good does come to mind, plus a bunch of unrelated stuff like lip tattoos and bruised legs.