Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Branca Wants a History Documentary

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I'll admit it's far from Michael's best in the sense of easy accessibility, but it's my personal favorite.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteFunk (05-13-2016),BudzMJJ (01-24-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    ^^^SIM is the one single song that truly stems from that time and his experience of it. D.S. is the other song with Tom Sneddon being its subject matter.

Small references here and there is one thing. It's quite another to stretch those into making it about the allegations full stop. YANA, HIStory, Little Susie, Smile, Come Together and Childhood are NOT about the allegations - nor do they reference it. 2Bad is yet another general track with no specific reference and SCREAM is also general as it does not refer to that time specifically. Earth Song is not about the allegations either. Tabloid Junkie is not about the allegations either as the audio samples make clear - its about the "Jacko is Wacko" type stories which is why it opens with "From the strange and weird fact file, singer Michael Jackson sleeps in an oxygen tent." TDCAU - I'd consider that contains a reference to 1993 at least, but Michael's words makes it clear the song was not about the 1993 allegations period. "Man's inhumanity to man" is the subject matter.

At least over half of HIStory is not about the allegations.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    I had a post typed but lost it. Nutshell for now, HIStory isn't about the allegations per se. Likewise, Ghosts is not about them.

Unthinking Stans will be very happy with the usual fan narratives tho. Nuggets is correct the doco on this album will be a complete whitewash rather than genuinely documenting how things really unfolded.

HIStory is really about life experiences. In the general sense.
    And what exactly would a "whitash(ed)" documentary on the History album entail (according to you)?

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Always There, totally agreed. Any major critical review at the time for HIStory doesn't discuss the music.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (01-25-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Even the songs on the album that don't specifically reference the allegations often sound like oblique references to them, such is the generally angry, melancholic and paranoid feel that permeates basically the whole album. And all fairness, I did say his personal life over the last few years rather than just the allegations, which definitely brings tracks like Tabloid Junkie and Scream into play.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMcNuggets View Post
    Even the songs on the album that don't specifically reference the allegations often sound like oblique references to them, such is the generally angry, melancholic and paranoid feel that permeates basically the whole album. And all fairness, I did say his personal life over the last few years rather than just the allegations, which definitely brings tracks like Tabloid Junkie and Scream into play.
    You mean "indirect references." Possibly yet the danger in presuming so is it doesn't appear to have been the artist's intention, e.g. TDCAU where Michael was very clear on the meaning of the song itself (injustice everywhere or man's inhumanity to man). But he certainly used the opportunity to vent/release the emotions you can name. It's clearly not the same thing as saying the album is about the allegations and also doing the same for Ghosts itself.

His personal life before and after thst period is clearly in the mix,e.g. Tabloid Junkie.

One thing i wouldn't expect a documentary on HIStory to deal with correctly is the promotional efforts. On one hand, it's understandable Michael's intent was essentially to cement his greatness, it also was Michael shooting himself in the foot. It's not inherently wrong that he was perceived as arrogant which he was when it came to his profession and this ran the risk of reviewers potentially choosing not to acknowledge the efforts contained therein. One shouldn't expect all thst not to have an impact - after all, it's the star ramming something specific home rather than doing whst Prince or Messi do. That's not to say there were not very good reviews of the album when it came out - there were good ones. Mostly it was mixed rather than completely hostile.

Today, you find a similar thing happening with Cristiano Ronaldo. CR7. Even Cristiano's goal scoring celebrations carries the same idea of Michael's - "I'm the best! Acknowledge my greatness!" It is a double edged sword.

incidentally, the more i read on Cristiano's life, the more common ground i see between the two and their paths to being the best.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (01-24-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    ^ Let's just hope their careers aren't mirrored too closely, we don't want Operation Yewtree after Ronnie! :-O

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

PG13 (01-24-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    ^^^^Both men have already had kids without having mothers in the picture! Lol! Both named their sons after them! Lmaooo! Cristiano's is definitely his biologically tho.

But he ain't about to share his bed with kids! Oooohhh. ...*sucks in breath*

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (01-24-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I personally love HIStory. It is my 3rd fave MJ album and my only real issue with it is the last couple of songs, and Come Together's inclusion over songs actually from that era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    ^^^SIM is the one single song that truly stems from that time and his experience of it. D.S. is the other song with Tom Sneddon being its subject matter.

Small references here and there is one thing. It's quite another to stretch those into making it about the allegations full stop. YANA, HIStory, Little Susie, Smile, Come Together and Childhood are NOT about the allegations - nor do they reference it. 2Bad is yet another general track with no specific reference and SCREAM is also general as it does not refer to that time specifically. Earth Song is not about the allegations either. Tabloid Junkie is not about the allegations either as the audio samples make clear - its about the "Jacko is Wacko" type stories which is why it opens with "From the strange and weird fact file, singer Michael Jackson sleeps in an oxygen tent." TDCAU - I'd consider that contains a reference to 1993 at least, but Michael's words makes it clear the song was not about the 1993 allegations period. "Man's inhumanity to man" is the subject matter.

At least over half of HIStory is not about the allegations.
    I'd consider only DS & Money as a direct reference to the allegations.