Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Off The Wall re-release (UPDATE: confirmed for February '16)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    The Behind the Mask video leaked online seemingly out of nowhere, so who knows? This could be the same situation.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I'm calling BS. Nothing OFFICIALLY announced by Sony & The Estate yet. Unless either one says otherwise, it ain't happening. And IMO why release a OTW re-issue now when they should have done it for the 25th or 30th anniversary? Take the year off, and worry about Dangerous 25 next year.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Can someone repost the trailer video?

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    The original uploaders of the video were notified by Sony/the Estate to take it down because the material "wasn't finalized yet". Suspicious?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Pop View Post
    And IMO why release a OTW re-issue now when they should have done it for the 25th or 30th anniversary? Take the year off, and worry about Dangerous 25 next year.
    Reissues don't have to center around anniversaries. Very few actually do. The thirtieth anniversary would have fell in August 2009 - you can see why they couldn't put it together then.

There have been rumors circulating for years that Michael and Sony were putting together a thirtieth anniversary package since November 2008 that fell through for one reason or another. Some say lack of new material, some say disagreements among the two parties, so on and so forth.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Does that image in the op say "in partnership with the booty of Michael Jackson."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renstimpy1 For This Useful Post:

SmoothGangsta (08-06-2015),sweetlovers1224 (08-07-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    So all the vids are being removed due to requests from Sony and The Estate. Guess there could be something in this after all. Personally, I wish they would have taken a year off and concentrated on making Dangerous 25 perfect, but hey ho, I'll take what I can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BudzMJJ For This Useful Post:

Prince Of Pop (08-08-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by renstimpy1 View Post
    Does that image in the op say "in partnership with the booty of Michael Jackson."
    It does.

fl9f7o.jpg
    "and the reason... is because there is nothing."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJHHInvincible For This Useful Post:

renstimpy1 (08-06-2015),SmoothGangsta (08-06-2015),sweetlovers1224 (08-07-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    It should still be outlined that Dangerous25 isn't confirmed nor is it a likely endeavor. Not enough nostalgia draw for it to be worthwhile.

This reissue of Off the Wall will get a bunch of media attention simply by virtue of it being Off the Wall and considered by many to be Michael's best album. Dangerous sits in an odd midway zone between "public appreciation" and "complete anonymity," where a reissue would make sense but wouldn't garner numbers anywhere near what they would expect.

I know I'm probably dragging this point through the dirt but I often see people speak of Dangerous25 as if it is a guarantee or a likelihood, which it's not. We have a tendency to overhype our expectations (understandably — I've done it my own fair share of times) and it's for the best that we keep them tame.

For now we seem to be getting a project that sounds pretty damn good in its rough, pre-announced state. That sounds pretty good to me.

Also, quick side point: The estate has been clear in their plans to withhold as much material as possible to prolong the Jackson brand. So let's be realistic - we would be getting the same amount of new songs whether or not the remixes were included. Per the estate's longtime endeavors, the remixes seem to be there just for the sake of commercial viability and public interest - which worked (at least in part) for Thriller25.

The second disc of Bad25 had 23 minutes of open space on it. There was more than enough space to put more music. They made the conscious decision not to do so, which begs the implication that we would have gotten six demos regardless of what came after. In which case the remixes really aren't hurting anything.
    Last edited by AlwaysThere; 08-06-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Favorite
    Album
    Invincible
    LOL

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrinvincible For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (08-06-2015),SmoothGangsta (08-06-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrinvincible View Post
    LOL

Lmao this is funny!
    Girl I wanna groooooove

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Mrinvincible (08-06-2015)