Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate the Estate - Rank the Projects from Best to Worst

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory

Rate the Estate - Rank the Projects from Best to Worst

I don't think I've seen a thread of this nature yet and I'm interested to see opinions!

It's quite clear that every posthumous release since 2010 has divided the fan community into two separate factions - those who enjoyed the project at hand, and those who didn't. But no matter what the opinion, I think it can be universally agreed upon that not EVERY release thus far has been entirely useless. Each one has given us something of value.

To that end, I was curious as to what project you all felt gave us the most, and what gave us the least. Let's rank the projects and, if you'd like, give a bit of insight into what aided you in your decision.

Projects to choose from:
    - This Is It (film + soundtrack)
    - Vision
    - Michael
    - Bad25 (box set + documentary)
    - Xscape
    - Off the Wall (box set + documentary)

Only project that offered some sort of new material (visual or audio) are included; Immortal and Michael Jackson: The Experience, therefore, are omitted.

Thoughts?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Mrinvincible (03-05-2016),renstimpy1 (03-05-2016),sweetlovers1224 (03-06-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    My list:
    - This Is It (film + soundtrack)
    - Bad25 (box set + documentary)
    - Xscape
    - Vision
    - Off the Wall (box set + documentary)
    - Michael

Favorite
    Album
    Invincible
    Good idea for a thread, man.
    Anyway, here goes:

This Is It (film)
    Bad 25 (CD/documentary)
    Michael
    Xscape
    This Is It (CD)
    Michael Jackson's Vision
    Off the Wall (CD/documentary)
    Last edited by Mrinvincible; 03-05-2016 at 08:27 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrinvincible For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (03-05-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    This Is It (film)
    Bad 25 (includes documentary)
    Xscape
    Vision
    This Is It (CD)
    Off The Wall (CD/Documentary)

Chalk

Michael
    It's a traaaap! - Admiral Ackbar

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TommyVercetti For This Useful Post:

DingBat (05-10-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Invincible
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyVercetti View Post
    This Is It (film)
    Bad 25 (includes documentary)
    Xscape
    Vision
    This Is It (CD)
    Off The Wall (CD/Documentary)

Chalk

Michael
    Hahahahahaha

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I'm only picking one here:

This Is It

A great start and actually brilliantly edited together to give us an idea as to how the show would've gone. A good look at Michael and his team collaborating with nothing else distracting from a very clear and well defined purpose.

Something all other projects following severely lack as well as quality. TII was a quality release. Too many projects have been released in the years since with clear negative effects on quality, controversy and a very obvious "trying too hard to please every man and his dog" feel to all of it.

TII was a natural consequence of its time and, as odd as it sounds, brilliantly manipulative. In the end, art IS manipulative itself otherwise how can art seemingly transport you anywhere?

Kenny Ortega did a great job putting it together during a very difficult time. Arguably, the toughest project to compile and Kenny went with heart here.

The other releases since ARE far too cynical. Invincible suffers from cynicism as well.

So, I wouldn't really bother to rank anything else. The MJ Estate needs to have a long period of time where there are no releasesof any kind. That day will come in the end. Better to respond to what is called a renaissance rather than trying to keep a dead man relevant in an industry that will always be dynamic without any single act. Life goes on without you and will for a thousand years still.

Respond to a renaissance and then stop for a while when it's over. That's what This Is It was - a renaissance. You know why the Bruce Lee Estate is still successful despite the fact his career was ultimately short AND he didn't own the rights to his biggest hit (posthumously too) Enter The Dragon? Renaissance.

And not overstaying their welcome by attempting to bombard the public the way the MJ Estate has since 2010.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (03-07-2016),DingBat (05-10-2016),Moon_Walk (03-06-2016),Nesboy43 (03-06-2016),POF (05-29-2016),ShadowDeeps (03-06-2016),sweetlovers1224 (03-06-2016),TroubleMan84 (03-07-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    This Is It
    Bad 25
    Xscape
    Vision
    OTW
    Michael

Sort of the same as Jase's list, now that I notice, ha. The OTW reissue was monumentally cynical unless there were very good, understandable legal reasons not to include any bonus material whatsoever... apart from a documentary stuffed with mostly irrelevant people.

Until recently I thought the Estate had been marginally improving over time since the low of 'Michael', but such a shabby treatment of OTW has set them right back again in my estimations. Hopefully, sales will be awful to finally persuade Branca and co that you don't make money by relentlessly cutting corners, but given the nature of this fanbase (and one poll I saw on MJ Archives suggesting that most fans are buying it), they probably will make money by cutting corners and nothing will change.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

sweetlovers1224 (03-06-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I definitely agree with PG13. The best Estate release was This Is It thus far. Vision promised remastered videos when the past video compilations when Michael was alive were fine just the way they were and they just released really terrible quality videos. Michael was awful,especially knowing that three tracks weren't even Michael to begin with. Bad 25 was my second favorite release,especially the Wembley concert. I could care less about what other fans say about the quality of the concert because what should matter is Michael's performance. Xscape & the OTW release were the worst and the laziest releases ever. It was cool hearing original demos from Xscape but that's besides the point of how they butchered Michael's music (a couple tracks are okay,but not amazing). Off The Wall was the laziest release ever and I've said this from the get-go. I have yet to go out and even buy the DVD/CD set and I really don't know if I want to at this point to even support the Estate because quite frankly in the seven years since Michael has passed,they've done a sub-par job on keeping his legacy alive. That's why I appreciate the fans more than the Estate because they're working to get all this stuff out to us that would've never seen the light of day in the hands of the Estate.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetlovers1224 For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (03-06-2016),PG13 (03-07-2016),TroubleMan84 (03-07-2016)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Pretty easy for me actually.

1. Bad 25 (Album and Concert)
    2. This Is It (Film)
    3. Vision
    4. Xscape
    5. Bad 25 (Documentary)
    6. The Michael E.P.
    7. This Is It (Album)((Basically just a greatest hits package))

I can't say where the OTW doc will go as I have not watched it yet. But I can hazard a guess it will be just above Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

16. TII(film) and Bad25 for sure was the best in my opinion. It was fun and exciting and the way they were promoted felt like MJ was still here I.E. The hype ect

Xscape: Just because of the Demos!

Bleh to the rest.. Michael would have been great had there not been sheep cutting vocals on the album.. Weird