Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think the Future holds for the Michael Jackson Brand

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    ^^^What's too blurry to see in WII? Nothing blurry for me.

What is a joke is seeing the same things re-released countless times and just to put it on Bluray is yet another ridiculous thing if they don't put SUBSTANTIAL extras with it. Enter The Dragon on Bluray got extras that persuaded fans to buy it even if they had one of several DVD releases.

Personally, I'm not buying anymore MJ posthumous products until they up their game and that's going to take more than picture or sound quality. They need to give me a real reason to buy because I've seen all this stuff over 25 years and missing nothing at all.

I sure ain't buying Spike Lee's OTW doc either.

The state of the fan world - thou shalt not be real about MJ and thou shalt not avoid buying rehashed products. Bad25 had the right idea, but didn't go far enough.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Something more focused on BTS footage would be wonderful. Even a retrospective documentary on the cancelled HBO show would be great. Especially with the footage presumably lying around.

Personally, I'd rather nothing for a while. Every project has seemed by the numbers, and even BAD25 which I think was pretty impressive could have been stronger.

But then I guess I'm not owed anything. I'd just rather theu leave the MJ brand alone for the foreseeable future. As I've stated multiple times, I'm content with the amazing discography he's left behind. Anything more will just be a bonus.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moon_Walk For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (07-12-2015),ChickenMcNuggets (07-13-2015),Nesboy43 (07-14-2015),PG13 (07-11-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    There's very little visual material that is worth seeing. The HBO rehearsals would make for an excellent This Is It styled documentary assuming they have the footage. A Blu-Ray of Michael's short films with some compelling bonus features (the 1993 incomplete version of Ghosts, a rumored 21-minute cut of The Way You Make Me Feel) would also be welcome. And, of course, studio footage is always a plus.

Beyond that, everything seems unnecessary. Concert footage is entirely dispensable - as great as the man was on stage, he was a very by-the-books performer and rarely strayed from his set routine. Ooh, Michael did one more spin than he usually does during Man in the Mirror. I guess that warrants a new DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Dangerous 25 and a HIStory 20 both seem like silly ideas to me. I can understand it for Thriller and Bad because both really were colossal in their time. I remember Bad especially was everywhere whereas you had to look for Dangerous and HIStory. Bad is the last great album the public also loved which is why a 25th made sense for it. Dangerous 25 will do worse and I wouldn't expect Sony to do anything for it the way they did for Bad. Especially when they're still slowly crawling their way back to profit thanks to the PS4.
    This is what I've been insisting on other forums for the past few months - bravo!

Dangerous is an excellent record and deserves far more attention than it currently gets, but it only has a modicum of the public appeal that the Quincy Jones records do. Fans are anticipating a large scale release on par or greater than that of Bad 25 and are actively discussing precisely which performance they want to see! History suffers similarly - once again, a great record, but not nearly praised enough to warrant a full expensive re-visitation.

I may be in the minority here, but some of us are gaining a sense of entitlement and a belief that the Estate has access to everything and that we deserve it all, which couldn't possibly be further from the truth.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Billyjeanplxiv (07-12-2015),ChickenMcNuggets (07-13-2015),PG13 (07-11-2015)

Dangerous 25 would probably be slapped together to shut us up. no promo.

why waste money, slap a few demos on it and bam. people are happy.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Us fans with a sense of realism will be happy with just a few demos. There are people on other boards who are actively prepared to get a brand new concert.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

renstimpy1 (07-13-2015),SmoothGangsta (07-12-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Bad is the last great album the public also loved which is why a 25th made sense for it. Dangerous 25 will do worse and I wouldn't expect Sony to do anything for it the way they did for Bad. Especially when they're still slowly crawling their way back to profit thanks to the PS4.
    Wrong. Dangerous did extremely well up until the BS lies that came out in 1993. There was a time that Dangerous outsold Bad.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Pop View Post
    Wrong. Dangerous did extremely well up until the BS lies that came out in 1993. There was a time that Dangerous outsold Bad.
    That's not the same as enduring NOSTALGIA for something. Many things sell a lot, but only a few things become truly nostalgic. Sales does not equate to nostalgia. Bad was the first of everything that would come after so it's nostalgic. I remember the hype was far bigger than it actually was for Dangerous. Especially the tour.

Besides, Dangerous had great early sales and then went into a downward sales slump...before August 1993. They brought in Moby's remixes and others before MJ went on Superbowl and Oprah. Even after 1993 allegations, Dangerous' sales did not go into freefall as people bought it that bit more than before to show support. But it was never going to overtake Bad. Dangerous in it's day still sold less than Bad - 2million less, but a lot more now.

Every MJ album since Thriller has declined in sales. A long term sales decline was normal, but his singles sales went up.

Dangerous is not a nostalgic album. Bad is and his last one for that. Goes beyond fans btw.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (07-13-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    ^^^What's too blurry to see in WII? Nothing blurry for me.

What is a joke is seeing the same things re-released countless times and just to put it on Bluray is yet another ridiculous thing if they don't put SUBSTANTIAL extras with it. Enter The Dragon on Bluray got extras that persuaded fans to buy it even if they had one of several DVD releases.

Personally, I'm not buying anymore MJ posthumous products until they up their game and that's going to take more than picture or sound quality. They need to give me a real reason to buy because I've seen all this stuff over 25 years and missing nothing at all.

I sure ain't buying Spike Lee's OTW doc either.

The state of the fan world - thou shalt not be real about MJ and thou shalt not avoid buying rehashed products. Bad25 had the right idea, but didn't go far enough.
    Personally I love owning my favorite films and shows in the best quality possible. So many films I have watched from DVD to Bluray and have noticed tons of things I have never seen before. Really adds a whole lot and lets you see these things as they were shot.

MJ stuff is still mostly around VHS quality IMO. Films are still brilliant and are very watchable, but I want to see those given the all star treatment. They certainly were called short films for a reason. Watch Moonwalker on Bluray and you will understand, looks stunning and you get to appreciate MJs artistry even more with such a clear picture.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

renstimpy1 (07-18-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    Personally I love owning my favorite films and shows in the best quality possible. So many films I have watched from DVD to Bluray and have noticed tons of things I have never seen before. Really adds a whole lot and lets you see these things as they were shot.

MJ stuff is still mostly around VHS quality IMO. Films are still brilliant and are very watchable, but I want to see those given the all star treatment. They certainly were called short films for a reason. Watch Moonwalker on Bluray and you will understand, looks stunning and you get to appreciate MJs artistry even more with such a clear picture.
    Moonwalker on Bluray isn't really a proper remaster. It is basically just upscaled and loses some of the picture around the edges. But even with that you get a much better viewing experience than on DVD.

They should put out a couple of MJ bluray sets. One containing all the short films, remastered of course, the second featuring the MJ films, Moonwalker, Making of Thriller, Ghosts and Captain EO all cleaned up and remastered. I would buy that. Obviously both would feature tons of extras like NEW behind the scenes footage and of course the 1993 version of Ghosts =D
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by BudzMJJ View Post

They should put out a couple of MJ bluray sets. One containing all the short films, remastered of course, the second featuring the MJ films, Moonwalker, Making of Thriller, Ghosts and Captain EO all cleaned up and remastered. I would buy that. Obviously both would feature tons of extras like NEW behind the scenes footage and of course the 1993 version of Ghosts =D
    I wish that would happen soon One can dream, eh?
    Girl I wanna groooooove