Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think the Future holds for the Michael Jackson Brand

What Do You Think the Future holds for the Michael Jackson Brand

In the immediate future I could see another posthumous album or Dangerous25.
    Probably not both, I cant see that happening now. At least not so close to Xscape which I believe is fresh in peoples minds because of Love Never Felt So Good which I hear still on the radio.

In the future, id like to see anthology packages with instrumentals, ideas, studio chatter, ideas, and working ideas. Detailed explainations of what was being worked on, and why they stopped.

The Will.i.am and RedOne tracks should also come out on the next posthumous album. Something is more than nothing.

Concert release wise, I cant imagine any more Betamax/VHS quality releases.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billyjeanplxiv For This Useful Post:

SmoothGangsta (07-01-2015),sweetlovers1224 (06-30-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Cheap cash ins and products that are not even close to being representative of what makes Michael's artistry great. More stale attempts to make Michael seem like a modern contemporary artist (ie have his music and imagery appear just like what we see all over the place today), instead of focusing on the uniqueness of the high production quality of his music (one of his strengths). Have current popular artists talk about MJ and partake in revisionist history to just bloat Michael's "status" and give a reminder of "how relevant he his today". Top this off with some low quality audio and video and you have yourself a modern MJ release.

I expect nothing better than this until the current Executioners are replaced.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

alexbism (07-07-2015),ChickenMcNuggets (06-30-2015),SmoothGangsta (06-30-2015),sweetlovers1224 (06-30-2015),toomuch (06-30-2015)

what do you think will happen after they are replaced

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyjeanplxiv View Post
    what do you think will happen after they are replaced
    PG's dreams of MJ's overexposure dying down so people will actually miss MJ instead of being oversaturated with some degree of his work? Then again, how long has it been since Escape? I haven't been in the forums as much so I don't know what's going on. Doesn't look like much is and that seems good.
    There's only one Thriller and I ain't talkin' 'bout thee album...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quench For This Useful Post:

PG13 (07-01-2015),sweetlovers1224 (07-01-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    The short term for the Michael Jackson brand is uncertain to me.

Given the estate's abysmal past expectations are understandably low for the home stretch of the Sony contract. We'll continue to see projects that will be praised in some aspects (e.g., packaging) and derailed in others (e.g., mastering) with moderate sales numbers.

But where I continue to argue in favor of the estate (and forgive me if I go off on a tangent here) is that they do suffer from hopeless and/or downright unrealistic expectations. Every project thus far has been shot down by some for a multitude of justifiable reasons, as well as various of nonsensical ones. Fans, for example, are heavily in favor of an anniversary project for Dangerous on par with that for Bad, failing to realize that everything is essentially working against such a project being a success for Sony and will more than likely cause them to lose more money. And if that project does come to fruition, there will be a number of fans who are upset if they don't get a Blu-Ray concert release or a dozen previously unreleased songs/demos.

What some don't seem to realize is that there will more than likely never be a truly honorable Michael Jackson project regardless of who takes the reins. They cannot think as he would, they cannot act as he would, because they are not him. This is not by any means an excuse for a lack of quality, though it should be taken as a fair argument for us to sit back and think if something we want would be sensible in the long term.

Speaking of long term, the most "good" that can be done for the future is to put the entire idea of Michael Jackson on the back burner. His brand has enjoyed a longer high profile posthumous existence than any celebrity I can name off hand, well to the point of over saturation. A resurgence in interest can be generated if we actually have a chance to miss the man. Not that Michael isn't the first popular musician to fly off the rails: a couple Jimi Hendrix albums didn't even reach the top 120. But his most recent 2013 record? Number two.

It would be as if an EP of previously unreleased Beatles music was put into production. Public interest would be heightened simply because we haven't heard anything from the band since the 1994 posthumous "reunions" for Anthology. If we heard new Beatles material year after year, it wouldn't be as anticipatory.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

sweetlovers1224 (07-01-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Personally I think they need to dial back all this "Michael is as relevant as any new act" crap and just market the Michael that everyone already knows and loves. No need to try and attach him to all these BS promo campaigns any more as he can't be there to promote them himself. Just concentrate on putting the together the best releases. They know what we want, so get working on it.

Sadly, based on the latest statement from the estate, it seems things will only get worse........... =/
    This report is from http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300074050.html

NEW YORK, April 29, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Authentic Brands Group, LLC (ABG), owner of a global portfolio of iconic fashion, sports, celebrity, media and entertainment brands, and the Estate of Michael Jackson today announced a strategic partnership to further grow the Michael Jackson™ brand in the areas of endorsements and consumer products. ABG will provide global representation for Michael Jackson™, pursuing new licensing and retail partnerships working with the Estate to broaden the brand's reach across key markets around the world.

"We are truly honored to welcome the King of Pop to Authentic Brands Group," said Jamie Salter, Chairman and CEO, ABG. "Michael Jackson™ joins ABG's star-studded roster that includes Muhammad Ali™, Elvis Presley™, and Marilyn Monroe™. We are excited to tap into the essence of this innovator and amplify the DNA of this legendary entertainer."

ABG enhances its celebrity, media, and entertainment portfolio through strategic alliances with leading global brands. ABG will take a similar approach working with the Estate on the Michael Jackson™ brand, focusing on endorsement partnerships and developing key categories to deliver products that are unexpected, bold, and innovative.

"We are thrilled to be working with ABG on the continued development of the Michael Jackson™ brand," said John Branca and John McClain, Co-Executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson™. "With a proven track record in transforming icons into global entities, we are confident that ABG will help us take the Michael Jackson™ brand to the next level."

Michael Jackson was a musical and creative genius. He personified innovation and he has revolutionized so many aspects of his art, from electrifying live performances to groundbreaking use of video. Michael Jackson launched a new era of creativity in live stage performances that continues to influence today's top artists in hip hop, contemporary R&B, pop, and rock and roll.

"As a visionary solo artist, Michael Jackson redefined the art of entertainment," said Nick Woodhouse, President and CMO, ABG. "We have great things in-store for the brand and will take a page out of ABG's Celebrity, Media, and Entertainment playbook to build global strategic partnerships that will extend Michael Jackson's tremendous legacy."

About Authentic Brands Group, LLC
    Authentic Brands Group owns a global portfolio of iconic fashion, sports, celebrity, media and entertainment brands. In conjunction with Leonard Green & Partners, ABG's mandate is to acquire, develop, and elevate long-term value in consumer, celebrity, and media brands. Headquartered in New York City, ABG's mission is to further enhance brand equity through partnering with best-in-class licensees and retailers. ABG's global portfolio of world-renowned brands includes Marilyn Monroe®, Mini Marilyn®, Muhammad Ali®, Michael Jackson® (managed brand), Elvis Presley®, Jones New York®, Juicy Couture®, Judith Leiber®, Adrienne Vittadini®, Taryn Rose®, Hickey Freeman®, Hart Schaffner Marx®, Palm Beach®, Misook®, Prince®, Spyder®, Airwalk®, Above The Rim®, Vision Street Wear®, Hind®, Ektelon®, Viking®, Bobby Jones®, TapouT®, Sportcraft®.
    www.abg-nyc.com.

About The Estate of Michael Jackson
    Following in Michael's footsteps, the Estate of Michael Jackson, co-owner of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, has produced a growing list of artistically exceptional and enormously successful ventures, the first of which, "Michael Jackson's This is It" became the highest grossing music documentary of all time. A history making touring show produced with Cirque du Soleil, Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour, played 4 continents, 157 cities, was seen by 3.7 million fans and became the #8 top grossing tour of all time. The second venture between the Estate and Cirque du Soleil, the critically acclaimed Michael Jackson ONE, a permanent show at Mandalay Bay Las Vegas, gave Cirque its biggest opening ever in Las Vegas and continues to be one of the hottest tickets in the city. Last year, The Estate astounded the world with the technical wizardry of a 'virtual Michael Jackson' performance during the Billboard Music Awards, which gave the show its biggest ratings in years and was the most talked about topic on the planet for weeks to come and released Xscape, the second posthumous release of previously unreleased music by Michael Jackson, which become one the top ten albums of 2014 and is nominated for top R&B album at the upcoming Billboard Music Awards.
    www.michaeljackson.com.

Haley Steinberg
    Authentic Brands Group
    hsteinberg@abg-nyc.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BudzMJJ For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (07-01-2015),SmoothGangsta (07-01-2015),sweetlovers1224 (07-01-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    ^ Bunch of losers, getting in there first before I announce my officially licensed Jermaine Jackson™ range of baseball caps, sport slacks and hair gel... now everyone will think the MJ Estate had the idea of such a linkup first and that I'm the one copying them.

**sighs, cancels everything**

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (07-02-2015),renstimpy1 (07-01-2015),SmoothGangsta (07-01-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Whatever the project if it's audio I expect it to be badly mastered. (The demos especially if Xscape is any indication) And I'm sure they'll completely ignore Michael's art while remixing. Trying to make him sound modern as usual. Maybe have some more dancing holo-impersonators and such lol. I would also like to see a fan package of sorts containing instrumentals, unfinished ideas and stuff like that. Probably a long time before that happens, if it ever does. The next thing I could see happening would be a Dangerous anniversary release. Including some demos of previously released songs from the album, or unreleased songs from the dangerous sessions. Or, ya know, they could just re-release the album with no new stuff, brickwalled and worse sounding than the original cd I have no doubts it will be worse sounding whether or not there's new stuff on it though lol. I think a step back for a while may be necessary. I know that's not gonna happen but like others have said give time for people to actually miss Michael, then people will be really excited when new music or video material is announced. If they took more time between releases it would be much more exciting honestly.
    Girl I wanna groooooove

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Nesboy43 (07-03-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    All I request is that if they release Dangerous 25 that they include Man In Black since none of the greedy bastard MJ fans will ever let that come out.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetlovers1224 For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (07-02-2015),Quench (07-05-2015),renstimpy1 (07-01-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I think they should take 2015 off and concentrate on a top flight anniversary package for Dangerous 25 next year. IMO Dangerous was and still is Michael's best album not named Thriller.

Long term, I'd like to see a series of anthology collections similar to The Beatles. No more "contemporizing" of his songs, unless it's something done like Love Never Felt So Good. I think that, and Loving You were the only two acceptable contemporized songs.

For the videos and live performance side of things, I think a complete collection on DVD/Blue Ray should be done. I'd like to see all of MJ's live performances (award shows, special appearances, etc) be digitally remastered and released on disc. Some rare footage like studio footage or his performance at the Apollo or Bill Clinton's Presidential Inaugural would be great too.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prince Of Pop For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (07-02-2015),Nesboy43 (07-03-2015),sweetlovers1224 (07-02-2015)