Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Prince

Been listening to Sign "O" The Times so much lately! Such a brilliant album. Maintains quality throughout the double album and If I Was Your Girlfriend is my absolute favourite Prince song.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Moon_Walk For This Useful Post:

MrBrightside (03-13-2014)

Sign "O" The Times is a masterpiece. The perfect combination of Funk and Rock, although it's a shame that Warner Bros. wouldn't allow him to release Dream Factory, it probably worked out better for the album that became Sign "O" The Times because the track selection was whittled down to the double album that resulted. Favourites on there include SOTT, Play In The Sunshine, Housequake, Starfish and Coffee, Slow Love, Hot Thing, U Got the Look, If I Was Your Girlfriend, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, and one of my absolute all time favourite Prince songs 'Adore.

I'm listening to Lovesexy quite a lot at the moment. Again, The Black album pulled at the last moment and Prince releasing an album that acts as a sort of re-birth for him, and announcing "Welcome to the New Power Generation". The album plays like a spiritual awakening and it's almost a shame that recent editions chopped the long-play continuous track down into there own separate tracks because Prince designed it that the listener would listen to it as one complete piece and take it as journey. Although it is quite handy to be able to skip tracks. I can't get enough of Anna Stesia and Lovesexy followed by When 2 R in Love that sequence blows my mind. The uplifting Lovesexy really sets up When 2 R in Love beautifully.

Meh...you got me all up in a Prince mood now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBrightside For This Useful Post:

Moon_Walk (03-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    Sign "O" The Times is a masterpiece. The perfect combination of Funk and Rock, although it's a shame that Warner Bros. wouldn't allow him to release Dream Factory, it probably worked out better for the album that became Sign "O" The Times because the track selection was whittled down to the double album that resulted. Favourites on there include SOTT, Play In The Sunshine, Housequake, Starfish and Coffee, Slow Love, Hot Thing, U Got the Look, If I Was Your Girlfriend, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, and one of my absolute all time favourite Prince songs 'Adore.

I'm listening to Lovesexy quite a lot at the moment. Again, The Black album pulled at the last moment and Prince releasing an album that acts as a sort of re-birth for him, and announcing "Welcome to the New Power Generation". The album plays like a spiritual awakening and it's almost a shame that recent editions chopped the long-play continuous track down into there own separate tracks because Prince designed it that the listener would listen to it as one complete piece and take it as journey. Although it is quite handy to be able to skip tracks. I can't get enough of Anna Stesia and Lovesexy followed by When 2 R in Love that sequence blows my mind. The uplifting Lovesexy really sets up When 2 R in Love beautifully.

Meh...you got me all up in a Prince mood now.
    Yeah, my only gripe with the set list is very little from the 90's. You got a song from Graffiti Bridge but some tracks from Diamonds and Pearls, The Love Symbol album and The Gold Experience would be great. Though he did play Chaos and Disorder at a show I think in England a few weeks ago.

Absolutely agreed about Sign "O" The Times, while I'm a big fan of his 90's work that creative surge from 1999 to Graffiti Bridge is just brilliant. (I really enjoy Around The World In A Day.) Not to mention I've been really getting into the non singles from 1999, like All The Critics Love U In New York and D.M.S.R.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    I can't deny the phenomenal talent that is Prince, but I think the man himself is a delusional and egoistical dork who sent himself into irrelevance.

He was clearly desperate for attention when he was first started out, dressing up as a female and singing all those sexual songs. It's blatantly obvious why he was doing all that; he was trying to get people to buy his albums. He caught a little fire with "I Wanna Be Your Lover" in 1979, which peaked at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100, but was largely forgotten for a period afterwards. Of course, nobody could deny he was talented and his albums Dirty Mind and Controversy were critically acclaimed. With 1999, he finally got his breakthrough mainly due to "Little Red Corvette", his first single to reach the top 10 on the Hot 100. Thanks to that song, "Delirious" and "1999" charted adequately. Purple Rain made Prince into a complete star (the movie itself was horrible though), with "When Doves Cry" easily being the biggest song of 1984. "Let's Go Crazy", "Purple Rain" and "I Would Die 4 U" were pretty big too.

Now that Prince finally "reached the top", he decided to pull the "think nothing of it" trope and act like he didn't care, despite all the work he put to get that sort of success. As evidence of this, he purposefully made sure Around the World in a Day had little to any promotion and announced that he wouldn't perform on stage again. He was clearly trying to make it look like he didn't care about fame. "Raspberry Beret" and "Pop Life" were considerable successes, but overall, his album was a critical and commercial disappointment. Prince obviously realized how poor his decisions were, and so he went full Pop with Parade. The album was greatly promoted, got him his next big hit "Kiss" and even had a movie (which sucked). Unfortunately for him, this couldn't restore the momentum and hype lost by Around the World in a Day. Personal problems followed and the Revolution broke up.

He then released Sign o' the Times, an undeniable masterpiece. Despite the album's universal acclaim and major hit singles "Sign o' the Times", "U Got the Look" and "Place of Your Man", it still wasn't enough of a commercial comeback. Shortly after that album, Prince releases Lovesexy, which was another commercial disappointment despite the popularity of "Alphabet St". It would be Prince's soundtrack to the 1989 Batman movie that made him a household name again, which was obviously due to the success of the movie itself. In short, Prince made his comeback by riding the coattails of a movie. This success was enough to get Prince into films again with Graffiti Bridge ... which bombed and made it clear once and for all that Prince should never be in movies. The soundtrack to the movie, though, was well received and "Thieves in the Temple" was popular.

Diamonds and Pearls was considerably successful, with "Cream" and its title track being big hits. With the Love Symbol Album, however, Prince brought himself back to being a commercial disappointment. Look at how he chose the singles for the album. Warner Bros. wanted "7" to be the lead single, but Prince instead opted to go with "My Name is Prince". His record label decided to give in, and "My Name is Prince" would be a relative flop on the charts. "7" was then released as a single, becoming the only single from the Love Symbol Album to reach the top ten on the Hot 100, which goes to show that Prince's record label knew what was better for him. Sometime later, Prince decides to change his name to a symbol which was just weird. "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World", though, would be a huge smash and created momentum and hype for his next album which should have been The Gold Experience. But Prince ruined things for himself yet again. Apparently, Prince wanted to release it and Come at the same time, which would have been terrible and "market saturation" as WarnerBros. called it. Warner Bros. rightfully forbade him from releasing both albums at the same time, and he decides to just release Come instead, which, as Warner Bros/ expected, bombed. The Black Album is randomly released, and bombs as well.

What Prince should have done was just release The Gold Experience in 1994. By the time it came out in 1995, most of hype and momentum for Prince was gone due to the failures of Come and The Black Album. The album bombed, and sometime later, Prince released Chaos and Disorder, which bombed as well. Having spammed all these albums, Prince is finally free of his contractual obligations to Warner Bros. And then, people would never really hear from him again for nearly a decade. His "celebration" album Emancipation bombed. In 1999, he attempted a comeback with Rave Un2 the Year 2000, which, you guessed it, bombed. Just as the rest of his albums did for nearly the next 5 years. Prince had a decent comeback with 2004's Musicology and its followup albums 3121 and Planet Earth were fairly big as well. Prince had a successful performance at the Super Bowl halftime show in 2007 and in 2009, he released Lotusflow3r/MPLsound (and his girlfriend's debut album with it ... for some reason), which impressively reached #2 on the Billboard 200 despite being a Target-exclusive.

Despite all this success, Prince didn't have any more significantly successful singles. The fact is, had Prince played by Warner Bros' rules, he'd have been more successful and relevant longer. His poor decisions in the 1990s were what brought him into irrelevance for the rest of his career. His last decent hit single in America was in 1995, for crying out loud. And his philosophy on the Internet is also pretty horrible, too. This dude is just a musician who didn't even graudate high school ... and he's trying to talk about how bad the Internet is? He's full of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cakes View Post
    I can't deny the phenomenal talent that is Prince, but I think the man himself is a delusional and egoistical dork who sent himself into irrelevance.

He was clearly desperate for attention when he was first started out, dressing up as a female and singing all those sexual songs. It's blatantly obvious why he was doing all that; he was trying to get people to buy his albums. He caught a little fire with "I Wanna Be Your Lover" in 1979, which peaked at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100, but was largely forgotten for a period afterwards. Of course, nobody could deny he was talented and his albums Dirty Mind and Controversy were critically acclaimed. With 1999, he finally got his breakthrough mainly due to "Little Red Corvette", his first single to reach the top 10 on the Hot 100. Thanks to that song, "Delirious" and "1999" charted adequately. Purple Rain made Prince into a complete star (the movie itself was horrible though), with "When Doves Cry" easily being the biggest song of 1984. "Let's Go Crazy", "Purple Rain" and "I Would Die 4 U" were pretty big too.

Now that Prince finally "reached the top", he decided to pull the "think nothing of it" trope and act like he didn't care, despite all the work he put to get that sort of success. As evidence of this, he purposefully made sure Around the World in a Day had little to any promotion and announced that he wouldn't perform on stage again. He was clearly trying to make it look like he didn't care about fame. "Raspberry Beret" and "Pop Life" were considerable successes, but overall, his album was a critical and commercial disappointment. Prince obviously realized how poor his decisions were, and so he went full Pop with Parade. The album was greatly promoted, got him his next big hit "Kiss" and even had a movie (which sucked). Unfortunately for him, this couldn't restore the momentum and hype lost by Around the World in a Day. Personal problems followed and the Revolution broke up.

He then released Sign o' the Times, an undeniable masterpiece. Despite the album's universal acclaim and major hit singles "Sign o' the Times", "U Got the Look" and "Place of Your Man", it still wasn't enough of a commercial comeback. Shortly after that album, Prince releases Lovesexy, which was another commercial disappointment despite the popularity of "Alphabet St". It would be Prince's soundtrack to the 1989 Batman movie that made him a household name again, which was obviously due to the success of the movie itself. In short, Prince made his comeback by riding the coattails of a movie. This success was enough to get Prince into films again with Graffiti Bridge ... which bombed and made it clear once and for all that Prince should never be in movies. The soundtrack to the movie, though, was well received and "Thieves in the Temple" was popular.

Diamonds and Pearls was considerably successful, with "Cream" and its title track being big hits. With the Love Symbol Album, however, Prince brought himself back to being a commercial disappointment. Look at how he chose the singles for the album. Warner Bros. wanted "7" to be the lead single, but Prince instead opted to go with "My Name is Prince". His record label decided to give in, and "My Name is Prince" would be a relative flop on the charts. "7" was then released as a single, becoming the only single from the Love Symbol Album to reach the top ten on the Hot 100, which goes to show that Prince's record label knew what was better for him. Sometime later, Prince decides to change his name to a symbol which was just weird. "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World", though, would be a huge smash and created momentum and hype for his next album which should have been The Gold Experience. But Prince ruined things for himself yet again. Apparently, Prince wanted to release it and Come at the same time, which would have been terrible and "market saturation" as WarnerBros. called it. Warner Bros. rightfully forbade him from releasing both albums at the same time, and he decides to just release Come instead, which, as Warner Bros/ expected, bombed. The Black Album is randomly released, and bombs as well.

What Prince should have done was just release The Gold Experience in 1994. By the time it came out in 1995, most of hype and momentum for Prince was gone due to the failures of Come and The Black Album. The album bombed, and sometime later, Prince released Chaos and Disorder, which bombed as well. Having spammed all these albums, Prince is finally free of his contractual obligations to Warner Bros. And then, people would never really hear from him again for nearly a decade. His "celebration" album Emancipation bombed. In 1999, he attempted a comeback with Rave Un2 the Year 2000, which, you guessed it, bombed. Just as the rest of his albums did for nearly the next 5 years. Prince had a decent comeback with 2004's Musicology and its followup albums 3121 and Planet Earth were fairly big as well. Prince had a successful performance at the Super Bowl halftime show in 2007 and in 2009, he released Lotusflow3r/MPLsound (and his girlfriend's debut album with it ... for some reason), which impressively reached #2 on the Billboard 200 despite being a Target-exclusive.

Despite all this success, Prince didn't have any more significantly successful singles. The fact is, had Prince played by Warner Bros' rules, he'd have been more successful and relevant longer. His poor decisions in the 1990s were what brought him into irrelevance for the rest of his career. His last decent hit single in America was in 1995, for crying out loud. And his philosophy on the Internet is also pretty horrible, too. This dude is just a musician who didn't even graudate high school ... and he's trying to talk about how bad the Internet is? He's full of crap.
    And how does this have to do with loving a song/album?

Critical and commercial success isn't relevant to me so regardless of say Musicology or The Love Symbols album commercial success I love them anyway.

To you he may have faded into irrelevance but the fact that I wasn't born until years after his supposed "fading into irrelevance" and have discovered and loved his music says otherwise.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    My point is that Prince's egoism and delusions damaged much of his commercial success. Also, an artist is considered relevant when their albums and singles are placing high on charts. While his albums got commercially successful again with Musicology, he hasn't had a hit single since 1995. His last major album was in 2009. He's definitely irrelevant at the moment.

Physically - TX and NM Mentally - all over
    Anyone going/have gone to those Paisley Park shows he's been doing for 3 Fridays in a row already?

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

Moonwalker5889 (04-08-2014),Moon_Walk (04-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    This seems far more realistic.

Physically - TX and NM Mentally - all over
    That was too funny DingBat.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonwalker5889 For This Useful Post:

Moon_Walk (04-08-2014)