Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RUMOR: Spike Lee to Direct Documentary on Off the Wall

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Can't imagine much interesting info will come from this.
    There is certainly a lot of interesting unreleased content from this era. I've been fortunate enough to hear the full uncut version of DSTYGE, which is a conversation in itself. A lot of stuff was recorded, but not used for this album. That's a good starting point. Footage from Destiny/ Triumph tours, another bonus.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

BrownEyes (11-17-2014),Crep20 (11-24-2014),Quench (11-16-2014),renstimpy1 (11-16-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    There is certainly a lot of interesting unreleased content from this era. I've been fortunate enough to hear the full uncut version of DSTYGE, which is a conversation in itself. A lot of stuff was recorded, but not used for this album. That's a good starting point. Footage from Destiny/ Triumph tours, another bonus.
    How long was that DSTYGE full version?
    There's only one Thriller and I ain't talkin' 'bout thee album...

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Quench View Post
    How long was that DSTYGE full version?
    Almost 8 minutes.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

austin128 (11-17-2014),ChickenMcNuggets (11-17-2014),Quench (11-16-2014),renstimpy1 (11-16-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    ^^ Isn't the full versions of the entire album in peoples hands? I heard a remix of get on the floor that had different verses and vocals so maybe?

--- Merged Posts ---

https://soundcloud.com/kon/mj-get-kon-the-floor-remix

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    off the wall certainly is michael's best album. speaking of which can someone please edit my "favorite album" to be off the wall. i'd do it myself but these freaking server errors are preventing me from doing so.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    I read about this on a different site a few days ago and was wondering when/if it would get posted here. Off The Wall is my favorite MJ album, so I hope this is true. I enjoyed Bad 25, and have been hoping that Spike(or someone) would tackle some of his other albums. Wasn't there also a rumor about a Dangerous 25 for 2016 at one point? Anyway, I'd love to see this and get more information on the making of the album from some of the personnel who were actually involved (like Jerry Hey, Greg, etc. were featured on Bad 25) and not so much commentary from folks who weren't there or involved (like Justin Bieber, Kanye, etc. were featured on Bad 25).
    I do dream of distant places
    Where I don't know now, but it's destiny...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BrownEyes For This Useful Post:

Nesboy43 (11-22-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Oh how i hope this is true! Off the wall is one of my favorite albums and it's so complete to me
    AND YES..HISTORY CONTINUES!!

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I'm going to post what I posted over on MJJC in regards to this:

There are two people in the entire world who can give the most valuable insight and most interesting anecdotes from the Off the Wall project: Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones. Considering one of them is dead and the other is at odds with the estate and more than likely will refuse to be involved, this documentary is more than likely going to suffer from the same issues Bad25 did - focusing on the popular tracks and skimming over the less-known ones; studio musicians rattling off information that we already know; contemporary pop stars and/or musicians talking about the album and its influence on their own music; and a handful of genuinely interesting behind-the-scenes videos and live performances.

This is all the more troubling when it's pointed out that the Off the Wall music videos kinda suck. What is the behind-the-scenes footage going to be - Michael dancing in front of a green screen? Michael dancing in front of a black backdrop? Michael sitting in front of a black back drop? Not even remotely as interesting as what Bad25 showed. Also, I'm not entirely certain, but I believe someone said that the Off the Wall recording sessions weren't filmed. I could be wrong though; don't quote me on that.

Yell at me all you want, but assuming this documentary is given a similar formatting/approach as Bad25, it's going to be a complete waste of time and money. I acknowledge that it could easily go either way, but if not, I'm not wasting my time or money on it.

Also, assuming this project is being funded by Sony or the estate, I would advise you all to drop your hopes that there will be any Destiny tour DVD/Blu-ray to go alongside it. There's a slim to none chance of any involved parties wanting to spend the money on finding film reels, restoring them and putting them together.

I'm not pushing to say that Off the Wall isn't an important or quality album. It's a piece of history that will always be set in stone. But I just can't imagine anything worthwhile coming from this project, particularly considering that it's a much older project and memories/anecdotes may be fading gradually.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    The uncut version of Don't Stop is perfect for a reissue. But a documentary on an entire album? Maybe we'll hear six or seven seconds - nothing beyond that. I wouldn't call the Destiny/Triumph tour footage a bonus considering we've seen a multitude of performances off those tours already. It'll be nice to see in high definition, but it's nothing I would ever ask for.

Behind the scenes footage, studio recording footage, interesting/unknown anecdotes - that's what a documentary should focus on and give. And it probably won't.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    ^ Your music videos reference strikes me as judging them out of their own era. It was 1979, pre-MTV, almost all music videos "sucked" back then, lol. If anything, I disagree with the suckage accusation anyway, I like the OTW videos a lot - they're warm and endearing, and the special effects on DSTYGE were probably quite sophisticated for their time. A lot changed in music videos in just a few short years.

I do agree slightly that without MJ or Q - and I doubt Rod will be featured either, as he rarely appears in documentaries or retrospectives himself - interesting material might seem thin on the ground.

This whole documentary's very much a "the proof of the pudding will be in the eating" situation for me. We'll have to see just how good (or bad) it is.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (01-18-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMcNuggets View Post
    ^ Your music videos reference strikes me as judging them out of their own era. It was 1979, pre-MTV, almost all music videos "sucked" back then, lol. If anything, I disagree with the suckage accusation anyway, I like the OTW videos a lot - they're warm and endearing, and the special effects on DSTYGE were probably quite sophisticated for their time. A lot changed in music videos in just a few short years.

I do agree slightly that without MJ or Q - and I doubt Rod will be featured either, as he rarely appears in documentaries or retrospectives himself - interesting material might seem thin on the ground.

This whole documentary's very much a "the proof of the pudding will be in the eating" situation for me. We'll have to see just how good (or bad) it is.
    What was sophisticated about the DSTYGE video? The three MJs dancing "together" was done the same Astaire multiplied himself 3 times in 1936's Swingtime and again 10 times for Putting On The Ritz a few years later. The videos really weren't particularly great at all.

As far as is known, MJ filmed TGIM to document his time with Paul on his own song, but didn't start filming recording in the studio until Bad heavily. None for OTW from what we know at this point. I can imagine Spike Lee will point towards Michael's race rather unnecessarily and he will surely drop the ball on other things.

But it may be a doco best suited to more recent fans.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (01-18-2015)