Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RUMOR: Spike Lee to Direct Documentary on Off the Wall

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory

RUMOR: Spike Lee to Direct Documentary on Off the Wall

http://entretenimiento.terra.com.mx/...f46d0RCRD.html

"Además de hablar del futuro del cine, la historia de Estados Unidos y el deporte, Lee adelantó que se encuentra trabajando en un documental sobre la realización del álbum Off The Wall, de Michael Jackson."

"Besides talking about the future of film, US history and sport, announced that Lee is working on a documentary about the making of the album Off The Wall, Michael Jackson."

I feel like I'll be in the minority here, but assuming this pans out, I'm not excited. Off the Wall, in hindsight, is probably my least favorite of Michael's adult solo records. Probably won't find myself incredibly drawn to this one, to be quite honest.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    It's possible its true as Spike said he wanted to do a documentary on one other MJ album back in 2012.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Well as someone who considers it possibly his best solo album, I'm sorta excited... but it had better go more in-depth on the album's creation than the 2001 SE interviews and the Many Lives of Q documentary, otherwise I don't see the point.

Any footage from the recording sessions would be nice. I don't want to hear Pharrell or Timberlake rabbiting on about the influence the album had on them, or the generic documentary rent-a-gob on all things MJ, Vogel inanely repeating the same old basic facts that everyone knows as if he's delivering new and remarkable information.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

austin128 (11-16-2014),Chrissy (03-07-2015),Cyrus (11-16-2014),Jam2008 (11-16-2014),MJHHInvincible (11-16-2014),Quench (11-16-2014),renstimpy1 (11-16-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Hmm, and no documentary on Thriller? Lol
    I was a king under your control...

I did love BAD25 when I first saw it, maybe because we hadn't really encountered a documentary on such a concise moment in Michael's career rather than about his private life.

But then coming back to it while I still enjoyed it there was a lot that they missed out on. Interviewing Kanye and Bieber was just wasting time. I don't care what they think.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMcNuggets View Post
    Well as someone who considers it possibly his best solo album, I'm sorta excited... but it had better go more in-depth on the album's creation than the 2001 SE interviews and the Many Lives of Q documentary, otherwise I don't see the point.

Any footage from the recording sessions would be nice. I don't want to hear Pharrell or Timberlake rabbiting on about the influence the album had on them, or the generic documentary rent-a-gob on all things MJ, Vogel inanely repeating the same old basic facts that everyone knows as if he's delivering new and remarkable information.
    Filming during recording was something MJ really did after 1984. For Thriller, his time with Paul was filmed but not very much else by all accounts. OTW and Thriller sessions were markedly different and more relaxed than from Bad to Invincible.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Would very much love to see this. Seeing as Off The Wall is not very celebrated by the Estate this could help it's reputation. This year is the Thirty-Fifth anniversary of Off The Wall so this year would have been a good year to release something like this

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I hope it's true. Off The Wall is a timeless classic, and I enjoy the carefree grooves on that album. I'd love to find out more about the recording process for that one. Like Nuggo said earlier, the 2001 Special Edition was a waste, and there was little info in the "In the studio with Michael Jackson" book and I emphasize the word "little."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jam2008 For This Useful Post:

BrownEyes (11-17-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I hope this happens, the estate seems to overlook this. I would love if there was more things to do with this album. Just no interviews with Kanye or Beiber.
    It's a traaaap! - Admiral Ackbar

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Due to Quincy's ongoing battles with the executors and his absence in the B25 docu, I figure he'll be AWOL from this, as well. Leaving us with who? Rod Temperton, members of the band (Jerry Hey, Greg Phillinganes, Paulinho da Costa, Steve Porcaro, John Robinson, etc.) and Bruce Swedien. Can't imagine much interesting info will come from this.

I'd much rather a look at Dangerous -- it being Michael's first go as executive producer, I'd love to hear some stories of how he did.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (01-18-2015),Chrissy (03-07-2015)