Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official “A Place With No Name” single artwork unveiled!

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Did I say it doesn't matter? No. I was throwing out my opinion. I forgot that opinions were banned here. My apologies
    You said it doesn't matter if the artwork is god-awful or not. This is MJ we are talking about here.
    Last edited by Nesboy43; 08-07-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    You said it doesn't matter if the artwork is god-awful or not. This is MJ we are talking about here.
    I said it doesn't matter to me, and stated why I believe it doesn't matter. That was my opinion.

And, yes, I'm aware this is Michael we're talking about here. And honestly, I don't see what the big fuss was over his single covers. I skimmed them just now for this discussion, from Off the Wall to the single cover for One More Chance, and very few stood out to me or showed any originality. Most were a random photo of Michael with some text pasted over it. Groundbreaking? Hardly. Eye-catching? Not even close.

This isn't a matter of music production or anything of the likes. This is of single artwork, an area where Michael far from shined.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I said it doesn't matter to me, and stated why I believe it doesn't matter. That was my opinion.

And, yes, I'm aware this is Michael we're talking about here. And honestly, I don't see what the big fuss was over his single covers. I skimmed them just now for this discussion, from Off the Wall to the single cover for One More Chance, and very few stood out to me or showed any originality. Most were a random photo of Michael with some text pasted over it. Groundbreaking? Hardly. Eye-catching? Not even close.

This isn't a matter of music production or anything of the likes. This is of single artwork, an area where Michael far from shined.
    I highly disagree, but it is your own opinion. I love the single artworks Michael did, up until Invincible anyways.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

maviefly (08-08-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    The SIM single cover is a bad photoshop effort. He could've posed in front of a painted backdrop instead. One of the most beautiful buildings in the world and the end result is a lazy job? Pfft.

I do agree that the covers could've been miles better over the years.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (08-08-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Blood On The Dance Floor
    *shrugs* I mean, it's alright. Could be better, but for what it is, it's fine.

I personally don't really care much. This is single artwork and, as far as I'm concerned, really doesn't make any difference in regards to how much it sells. Whether the artwork is God awful or not, if the person likes the song, they'll buy it.
    It does matter a lot. Music is consummed visually as much as aurally. That's why Michael Jackson was such a big star - because he combined great looks, great visual imagery in his videos, and incredible music. Plus much more. Same goes for dozens of other music acts, including the enormous success of boybands and girl groups. Even indie acts have a certain visual aesthetic that appeals to their audience, and if they hadn't - the success and even acceptance of their music would be much lower.

This cover art is just tacky, it's neither appealing in the sense Michael himself was, nor in the sense modern boygroups are, nor in an indie artist way. That they're using it over and over again is disappointing.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaka For This Useful Post:

maviefly (08-08-2014),Nesboy43 (08-08-2014),PG13 (08-08-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I highly disagree, but it is your own opinion. I love the single artworks Michael did, up until Invincible anyways.
    Of course; same to you. Personally, most of the single artworks haven't been anything worth looking at. Each album had it's high points -- Off the Wall's title track had pretty funky artwork, as did Dirty Diana, Jam, In the Closet, Scream/Childhood and Blood on the Dance Floor. (These just off the top of my head.) In every other regard, I've found them to be pretty standard: a photoshoot capture with some text lazily painted over it. Maybe a filter over the photo, as well.

As PG said, Stranger in Moscow was almost too simplistic. You Are Not Alone and Earth Song also suffered, though both were monumental successes.

Quote Originally Posted by kaka View Post
    It does matter a lot. Music is consummed visually as much as aurally. That's why Michael Jackson was such a big star - because he combined great looks, great visual imagery in his videos, and incredible music. Plus much more. Same goes for dozens of other music acts, including the enormous success of boybands and girl groups. Even indie acts have a certain visual aesthetic that appeals to their audience, and if they hadn't - the success and even acceptance of their music would be much lower.

This cover art is just tacky, it's neither appealing in the sense Michael himself was, nor in the sense modern boygroups are, nor in an indie artist way. That they're using it over and over again is disappointing.
    I will agree that the Estate consistently using the Xscape cover as the foundation of their single artworks is unnecessary. I can also understand any arguments regarding the Xscape cover art in itself. But as far as single artwork? I still don't think it made much of an impact.

Michael Jackson became the King of Pop because of his vocals, his energy during live performances, his dance moves and the quality of his music. Album/single artwork does not have much of an impact, particularly in today's business. A single will be a success or a failure based on how much people enjoy the song itself; I can't imagine someone being turned off of a song simply because the single artwork is weak. The same goes for an album. Of course a visually attractive cover is preferred, but as I just stated, music will be a monumental success or a monumental failure based on how strong the music is (as well as other promotional tools).

Allow me to demonstrate:

DontStopTilYouGetEnoughMichaelJackson.jpg
    Rock_With_You.jpg

Here are the single artworks to Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough and Rock With You, two of Michael's biggest and most universally known singles. As you can see, they both utilize the exact same image used for Off the Wall's original front cover, just with additional text. I cannot call these impressive whatsoever, because they truthfully aren't. And yet, they were both number one singles. Why? Because the music was great.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

renstimpy1 (08-08-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Great viewpoint! Since you don't care about it it doesn't matter.
    There was really no need for this snobby comment of yours. AlwaysThere simply said that he personally didn't care about the artwork. He wasn't saying the artwork doesn't matter because he didn't care about it. He pointed out the fact that single covers have VERY little impact on the success of singles and albums.

Since when is Michael Jackson known for his single covers? He isn't. Most people do not care about these things. It is reasonable to criticize these covers as they look basically the same, but they have very little impact on the singles and their albums.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hot Cakes For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (08-08-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    But then seeing the same image again and again is going to turn people off it. It worked for the album as it fitted with Xscape. But also I am sick of the Thriller cover as I have seen it so many times.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    The SIM single cover is a bad photoshop effort. He could've posed in front of a painted backdrop instead. One of the most beautiful buildings in the world and the end result is a lazy job? Pfft.

I do agree that the covers could've been miles better over the years.
    My favorite single artwork is SIM. In "the Moscow Case" you see video of when they take that photo.

My favorite single artwork is SIM. In "the Moscow Case" you see video of when they take that photo.
    Yes, but it's still a montage, at least the background. The photo was taken right behind the Red Square and you can spot Saint Basil's Cathedral (the one with the colourful church spires). However on the SIM cover they included the 'Ivan the Great Bell Tower' (the one with the golden spires) - which can't be actually seen from the position Michael stood as it's a few hundred metres away.
    Last edited by MichaelD; 08-08-2014 at 04:53 PM.