Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago 1945 Was Withheld from XSCAPE by Steve Porcaro

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory

Chicago 1945 Was Withheld from XSCAPE by Steve Porcaro

This interesting little news bit comes from someone who attended a recent Brad Sundberg seminar that featured special guest Steve Porcaro:

And then, towards the end of the seminar Steve shared with us a gift that I will be holding very dear in my memory. In the beginning of our meeting, we asked him how many songs he wrote for Michael and how many of them Michael recorded. Steve replied that he submitted several songs, and Michael recorded “probably three.” I was holding onto the question about the third song and was going to ask it in the end of the seminar, but it turned out I didn’t need to. Steve volunteered the story.

After the Thriller album came out, during the Victory tour (or maybe right before it) Porcaro submitted a few grooves to Michael. Sometime later MJ called Steve and told him that he wanted to do something with one of them. Apparently, he had gone to the library and read on Chicago of the 1930s-40s, and that’s how he came up with an idea for the song. He and Porcaro met and recorded nine straight vocal takes for what would become “Chicago 1945.”

Of course, it’s impossible to describe music in text, but here are five things you need to know about “Chicago 1945”:
    - The song is completed musically an vocally and perfectly releasable as is;
    - It has no connection to “Al Capone” or “Smooth Criminal” (another myth) – a completely different and separate song;
    - The lyrics tell a story about (three?) girls who went out at night and disappeared;
    - It’s a catchy song. Not the level of greatness of “Billie Jean” or “Beat It,” but a solid groove. The hook (“Never to be found again… never to be found again”) was stuck in my head for 3 days after we had heard it;
    - As the song was playing, I was trying to find another MJ song to compare it to. The closest I could come up with was “Behind the Mask” – the song is in the same tempo, and even the composition seemed somewhat similar to me. Although I think “Chicago 1945” is sung in a lower key – Michael’s voice is not as resonant as in “BTM.”

The sad thing is that everybody could have heard it by now if only the record label had been willing to do right by it. Porcaro was approached about the song for Xscape album, but he didn’t give his permission to use it. “It seems songs are going straight to remix these days,” he told us. It was obvious this approach didn’t sit well with him. And while a fan in me would have loved to be able to buy the song and have it in my collection, I felt nothing but respect for Porcaro’s position. I thought that as a musician and a songwriter, he must understand how much the integrity of a song means to the artist. And as a colleague of Michael, he undoubtedly knows how much Michael cared about his compositions. “Less is more” was a principle he, too, cited as very important for MJ and Quincy. “Chicago 1945” is a great song that certainly doesn’t need any “contemporizing” and deserves to be heard and appreciated in its own right.

Porcaro cannot release the song either without the approval of the Michael Jackson Estate, so for now the song remains in a deadlock. We can only hope that a time will come when Michael’s creative partners, his estate executors and the record label are able to see eye to eye about how the unreleased material should be handled. And for now we, fans, will take what we can get and be grateful for every opportunity to hear the original music Michael left behind. Thank you, Mr. Porcaro, it was an honor to meet you and hear all the stories and music you shared with us that evening.

http://www.michaeljackson.ru/eng/ste...-chicago-1945/

Very interesting.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

beluga2805 (07-07-2014),BudzMJJ (07-05-2014),ChickenMcNuggets (07-05-2014),Jam2008 (07-08-2014),mjjvibe (07-14-2014),Prince Of Pop (07-08-2014),Quench (07-05-2014),sabe (07-21-2014),SmoothGangsta (04-15-2017)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Glad he is sticking to his principles of not allowing them to remix the songs, good for him.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

maviefly (07-11-2014),mjjvibe (07-14-2014),Prince Of Pop (07-08-2014),SoCav (07-08-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Sad that we didn't get to hear it, but good man for sticking by his principles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BudzMJJ For This Useful Post:

mjjvibe (07-14-2014),Prince Of Pop (07-08-2014),SoCav (07-08-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    This makes me happy it's finished and somehow I'm not disappointed he didn't allow the Estate to touch it, I suppose I'm more tired of them than I think.
    There's only one Thriller and I ain't talkin' 'bout thee album...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quench For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (07-06-2014),maviefly (07-11-2014),Prince Of Pop (07-08-2014),SoCav (07-08-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Hopefully it will be released someday. The estate and Sony (especially Sony) need to listen to the fans more when it comes to what we want to hear. Remixes and contemporized tracks are not the way to go. Give us what MJ left us. PERIOD

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Prince Of Pop For This Useful Post:

BadSmoothCriminal50 (07-12-2014),BudzMJJ (07-09-2014),Crep20 (07-22-2014),maviefly (07-11-2014),mjjvibe (07-14-2014),SoCav (07-08-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Pop View Post
    Hopefully it will be released someday. The estate and Sony (especially Sony) need to listen to the fans more when it comes to what we want to hear. Remixes and contemporized tracks are not the way to go. Give us what MJ left us. PERIOD
    They are listening to fan feedback. XSCAPE and BAD25 include the untouched outtakes.

Besides, not all of us are against hearing modern interpretations of these songs. I personally love the updated versions on the new album.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SCR For This Useful Post:

BadSmoothCriminal50 (07-12-2014),mjjvibe (07-14-2014),renstimpy1 (07-20-2014),szarlotka (07-30-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Pop View Post
    To be 100% fair, though, it's only the hardcore fans that care about it. The mainstream media really doesn't care; all they want is new music.

Allow me to give an example. I have a friend who is a casual fan who bought the Xscape album and loved every minute of it. I informed him about the fact that the songs weren't Michael's original interpretations (which he was initially unaware of), but he didn't care. All he cared about was how good the music was. He eventually bought each of the original tracks based on my recommendation, and in the end, still preferred some of the new mixes. This has happened with a few casual fans of mine.

Releasing Michael's original compositions is the right thing to do morally. But most casual fans who don't pay attention to these things really don't care what version is released. As I said, the hardcore fans want what Michael left us; the casual fans just want good music.

Quote Originally Posted by SCR View Post
    They are listening to fan feedback. XSCAPE and BAD25 include the untouched outtakes.
    While I agree with you, I will say that Michael's original demos weren't released as the official versions of the songs, but rather alternate takes/mixes. I personally agree with their decision (some of the songs on Xscape were not nearly strong enough in their original recordings to be sold as the official versions), but morally, it should have been the other way around.

Favorite
    Album
    Invincible
    Sadly I feel like it was withheld due to it probably being wack.
    No, I'm not trying to come off as a hater, but the album version from ''Xscape''/the original version is terrible.
    The instruments sound boring (except the beat I guess), and some parts sound incomplete.
    The Papercha$er mix is the decent version in my opinion.

Favorite
    Album
    Invincible
    I've always wanted to hear this one. The story in the song sounds really interesting and I love the title...ugh can the Estate maybe not remix songs next time so we can get more? I'm sure this isn't the only song being held back for this reason.

--- Merged Posts ---

Quote Originally Posted by Mrinvincible View Post
    Sadly I feel like it was withheld due to it probably being wack.
    No, I'm not trying to come off as a hater, but the album version from ''Xscape''/the original version is terrible.
    The instruments sound boring (except the beat I guess), and some parts sound incomplete.
    The Papercha$er mix is the decent version in my opinion.
    You're talking about Chicago right? That one is suppose to be called She Was Loving Me but for some reason they changed the title (makes no sense). But I think the song was incomplete and you can hear a glitch in the vocals at "she smiled and looked..." right after he says the word smile. This song definitely wasn't finished and you can tell by the demo as well it wasn't done. It's still a good song imo.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadSmoothCriminal50 For This Useful Post:

mjjvibe (07-14-2014),Mrinvincible (07-12-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Invincible
    Quote Originally Posted by BadSmoothCriminal50 View Post
    I've always wanted to hear this one. The story in the song sounds really interesting and I love the title...ugh can the Estate maybe not remix songs next time so we can get more? I'm sure this isn't the only song being held back for this reason.

--- Merged Posts ---

You're talking about Chicago right? That one is suppose to be called She Was Loving Me but for some reason they changed the title (makes no sense). But I think the song was incomplete and you can hear a glitch in the vocals at "she smiled and looked..." right after he says the word smile. This song definitely wasn't finished and you can tell by the demo as well it wasn't done. It's still a good song imo.
    I agree it's a good catchy song, but I don't like the original. The reasons you stated are mostly the same reasons I dislike it.