View Poll Results: Which was he?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • A dancer that could sing

11 37.93%
  • A singer that could dance

18 62.07%
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Was MJ a singer that danced, or a dancer that sang?

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMcNuggets View Post
    Same words as AJ and everything? Lol. That doesn't surprise me.

On one MJ board I won't name, I once came across a detailed post by someone that was exactly the same as one of mine in a similar thread at Jax... and I was the next person to comment, so of course I pointed it out, lol. But this was years ago and I don't know whether 'Niff was on MJ boards in those days, I think it was someone else. I wouldn't be shocked if it's happened a lot more times since, though.
    The thread title definitely is the same. His post is different, but clearly lifted from here considering he has thanked posts in this very thread.

Yeah, that same thing has happened to me several times over the years. Last time I found one was on a 100% positivity MJ site. My thread on the Victory era - everything was the same right down to my exact posts. Lmaooo!
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (04-13-2016),Danileevan (03-21-2017)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I totally agree with PG here. MJ for sure could sing, even as a tiny kid, but over time the dancing took center stage for him.
    I have seen/read so many people even fans say that his voice lacked power (when he chose to sing live)
    In my mind most of MJs songs were not your typical long note singing style of songs. They tended to be staccato and quick chanted vocal runs (solo career) which would match the way he danced. MJs voice later in his career, live just never soared, even on ballads. I am the first to say though, I prefer the grit and rasp and as I do not need a soaring voice from MJ, his style was his own and that made him very special

Do I think he could sing OF COURSE, but he became DANCER who could sing. And he knew it or else why mime so much later on, perhaps his voice was damaged after 35 years of singing. OH and I will never buy that he had laryengitis the WHOLE history tour meh
    Last edited by Danileevan; 02-24-2017 at 10:42 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danileevan For This Useful Post:

PG13 (03-20-2017)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Danileevan View Post
    I totally agree with PG here. MJ for sure could sing, even as a tiny kid, but over time the dancing took center stage for him.I have seen/read so many people even fans say that his voice lacked power (when he chose to sing live)
    Yup, having listened to the "There must be more to Life than this" and "State of Shock" duets he recorded with Freddie Mercury, even though Michael's vocal chords were in much better condition then than they would have been later on, Freddie's voice clearly soars far above Michael's in both tracks, which works in a way as MJ's soft vocals balance out Freddie's booming vocals in both demos.

In my mind most of MJs songs were not your typical long note singing style of songs. They tended to be staccato and quick chanted vocal runs (solo career) which would match the way he danced. MJs voice later in his career, live just never soared, even on ballads. I am the first to say though, I prefer the grit and rasp and as I do not need a soaring voice from MJ, his style was his own and that made him very special
    His gritty, rough, raspy, raw, staccato vocals (in which his belting became screaming) certainly expedited his vocal deterioration and did more harm than good to his left lung (which was stricken with both chronic inflammation and respiratory bronchiolitis, possibly as a result of smoking). I believe the deterioration started around the Bad Tour and became much more prominent during the Dangerous Tour, especially during the second leg. He sounded very hoarse during the WBSS performances in particular.

Do I think he could sing OF COURSE, but he became DANCER who could sing. And he knew it or else why mime so much later on, perhaps his voice was damaged after 35 years of singing. OH and I will never buy that he had laryengitis the WHOLE history tour meh
    I'd take the worst Dangerous Tour performance over any HIStory Tour performance. I used to be able to tolerate the HIStory Tour, but not anymore.

I too am of the train of thought that he was a dancer first, singer second, at least starting in his mid-late teenage years, in the 70s, where he really broke loose with incredibly robotic moves and tap dancing here and there.
    Last edited by ShadowDeeps; 03-22-2017 at 04:08 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShadowDeeps For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (03-21-2017),PG13 (03-20-2017)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Shadow,
    I did want to ask you, you say above that his non belting singing helped to cause his lung damage later? So singing like he did the rasp, you think actually damaged his lungs? I thought it was either a genetic thing or because he did not take care of his pipes, smoked, drugged and such.

Also, this is a little off topic, but I saw I think his name is Dr Dru, say that MJs lungs were probably made much worse, by the fact he was in a coma for so long nightly. That being in a coma and laying flat on your back, will keep the lungs from expanding properly and lead to unhealthy lung disease..I have wondered if Dru was correct there.

It is amazing to me anyway that MJ even during the Bad tour was having issues with his voice, and lungs(I am pretty sure he was in chronic pain from his burns at this time and was taking meds/painkillers for it) It is hard to tell during the Bad tour, but I can clearly see something wrong during his Dangerous tour (yes even pre 93) You can function on meds but if you are taking more than prescribed you will start to feel a little stoned

I will post this over in my other thread, but I did watch Victory tour, Triumph tour,Bad, and dangerous, (what is with the whispering of human nature later on I do not understand that) BUT, seeing Triumph it is very clear to me that at that point (even before seth riggs) MJ was belting during some songs. Not screaming but true belts (like when he sings Ben). He does not do that on any other tour I have seen...He uses falsetto and his head voice (which is what one could say lacked power on stage) In the recording studio that is different.
    PS Freddies voice was probably the best as far as range and belts in modern music IMHO, I love MJ but it is clear Freddie had a belt that beat MJs voice to a pulp..They both though were TOP CLASS showmen and could get the crowds going wild, and you can see they both loved doing it. They both had the IT factor, but of course very different types both in their personal life and Public.
    Take Care
    Danielle
    Last edited by Danileevan; 03-28-2017 at 06:23 AM.
    "Take my message to your brother and tell em twice"

"Dancing the Dream"

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Came across this:

But, Bahler pointed out, Jackson never saw himself first as a singer.

“He had so many facets. If you asked Michael what he was,” Bahler said. “He would tell you he was a dancer.”
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

Favorite
    Album
    Music & Me
    Whatever he was, he was great at it. Dare I say... he was an angel! *sniff*

The world sans MJ is a ****tier place all round.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to toomuch For This Useful Post:

Vega (03-20-2019)