Thread: 'Controversy' Sub-Forum Idea

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory

'Controversy' Sub-Forum Idea

I don't know if this would be universally accepted but I figured I'd bring this up here.

I always thought MaxJax was one of the better MJ fan boards because we aren't afraid to step out and say, "Hey, ya know, Michael wasn't perfect." But at the same time I'm sure we'll be having some fans and members that will fight against any negative thing we say about Michael in any main forum. That's why I'm proposing a sub-forum based solely on topics that may cause some controversy - Michael's 1993, 2003 and 2013 child abuse allegations, his eccentricities, etc. I'm proposing this sub-forum so that we can direct all potentially controversial discussion to one place so some can go and have serious conversation.

I've talked to many fans who truly view Michael to be 100% flawless and how mad they get whenever they see a fan criticize him, so I figured in case any fans like that join MaxJax in the future they could stay in the forum where Michael is generally praised. (Of course there are still some criticisms on the main posts but the serious comments could be thrown in the sub.) It's just an idea that came to mind.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (04-24-2017),DDFF22552255 (06-10-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    I think it's a good idea. We'll see what the rest of the team thinks.

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Personally, I have never been able to stand that sort of segregation. I'm not even a huge fan of the WII section being separate, but that was pretty much unavoidable at the time with all things taken into consideration.

One thing I have always liked about Jax is that we do talk openly about the controversial topics that other boards may not allow or may try to keep buried. I don't see why we should have to 'hide' these topics away somewhere. If someone doesn't want to read about it then they don't need to enter the thread. Even if we make a sub-forum for these subjects then those same people could just go in there to read.

The different allegations and anything that could be considered his eccentricities are all a part of what makes up the man. Many of those things helped shape him and/or helped shape the way people viewed him... so why 'hide' them now? Why is it so wrong to openly discuss these things?

~ "Life should be harmony in this world of self-destruction..." - MJ ~

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krystikel For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (06-01-2013),Danileevan (04-24-2017),Moon_Walk (05-29-2013),PG13 (05-31-2013)

I have to agree with Krystikel. What separates Maxjax from pretty much every other MJ fan board is that we discuss all aspects of Michael, including his eccentricities in a mature and informative way. No need to separate topics that some may deem controversial. Besides if someone isn't enjoying a thread, all they have to do is click out of it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moon_Walk For This Useful Post:

ChickenMcNuggets (06-01-2013),Danileevan (04-24-2017),PG13 (05-31-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Yeah, I think Barb and Moon_Walk have kind of summed it up for me. Plus, it seems to be a difficult thing to police, having 'controversial' subjects in one place and 'non-controversial' subjects in another place. One person's controversial opinion is a common sense opinion to somebody else, and vice versa. It seems to be unnecessarily complicating things, to try to have a specific forum for it. I like that we do have everything relatively 'in the open' here and have mature, balanced discussions where what's 'controversial' or not isn't decided from above, really.

As others have said, Mike's 'best' bits and his 'worst' bits are all a part of him, as is the case for any other human being, and they have an impact on each other. It's hard to separate them, IMO.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (04-24-2017),Moon_Walk (06-01-2013),PG13 (06-01-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    I think things are done in the best way here - open, mature discussion. Somewhere else I was attacked by several people for daring to say "Jacko" isn't offensive...that wouldn't happen here in a million years.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (04-24-2017)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall

my two passions together

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    I don't know if this would be universally accepted but I figured I'd bring this up here.

I always thought MaxJax was one of the better MJ fan boards because we aren't afraid to step out and say, "Hey, ya know, Michael wasn't perfect." But at the same time I'm sure we'll be having some fans and members that will fight against any negative thing we say about Michael in any main forum. That's why I'm proposing a sub-forum based solely on topics that may cause some controversy - Michael's 1993, 2003 and 2013 child abuse allegations, his eccentricities, etc. I'm proposing this sub-forum so that we can direct all potentially controversial discussion to one place so some can go and have serious conversation.

I've talked to many fans who truly view Michael to be 100% flawless and how mad they get whenever they see a fan criticize him, so I figured in case any fans like that join MaxJax in the future they could stay in the forum where Michael is generally praised. (Of course there are still some criticisms on the main posts but the serious comments could be thrown in the sub.) It's just an idea that came to mind.
    Always There, I really do agree with you, on this. Though Michael is mostly viewed in a positive light (as far as posters' opinions about him - on this board, and others - are concerned), he was a human being, like everyone else.

But, there were lies and false stories made up about him, just to keep the media in business, so people would be interested enough in it, to continue watching, listening to, and reading about these stories. Michael wasn't perfect (and, no person on Earth who has EVER lived is, or was - except ONE). But, he was a far cry from the negative perception of him in the media.
    Last edited by DDFF22552255; 06-10-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    ^^^We do have a section for gossip/rumours - it's called Tabloid Junkie. That's entirely separate to ANY and ALL discussion involving Michael's history of abusing drugs of any description, his addictions, dangling Blanket over safety railings, etc. He did, however, set out to conceal the majority of his problems. If fans had KNOWN he was abusing propofol (NO justifiable reason for doing so) and that buying tickets would lock him into the deal, perhaps many of them would NOT have bought a ticket.

I wouldn't. Conceal your true daily life and go out to do some odd stuff is inviting the media to write whatever about you as a famous person. Since negatives are more easily recalled than positives, remember that the media did actually have equal numbers of positives v negatives about him in their publications - more or less. But it was NOT like the brainwashing the online institutions of MJ fan forums have done for years now.

So, that's why Come Together really is for all facets of the man, negative and positive. Everything stagnates and dies when one thing is focused on above another viewpoint. The "happy-happy" MJ fan boards will drastically dwindle in time. Change happens no matter what they try to do as far as 'legacy' goes.

In any case, it is INFINITELY better to not be as hypocritical and twofaced as MJJC are. How infantile is it to separate things like that just because some overzealous fans get angry about the "he wasn't an angel!" thing. They only do that to appease such people. There is no opportunity for personal development and growth. That can only happen during times of disagreement and agreement, but never one over the other. Think of the analogy of the violent rainstorm and the springing up of life thereafter.

It all goes together. Here, we have the balance right and have done for so long. I do not believe in appeasing people. I believe in growing, developing, discovering and then moving on. The teaching of the Tao. Not the Cult Of The Celebrity mentality where even facts are twisted by fans into something untrue, e.g.Jordy Chandler's alleged recanting or the false claims made about the origins of "Jacko".

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

Danileevan (04-24-2017),Moon_Walk (06-10-2013)