• An official release of Jackson's 2001 30th Anniversary Concerts

1 2.94%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Choice for the Next Project

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory

Your Choice for the Next Project

Following on the extreme discussion regarding the estate's project due for this year, I've decided to compile this poll featuring four projects that are currently being discussed by the estate (alongside one that everyone wants) and asking this question:

Out of these five options, which do you want the most?

The five choices I've included are sourced from a March 2013 blog post by Damien Shields, which can be viewed by clicking here. Damien used to frequent the Maximum Jackson fan board a few years ago and was extremely helpful and reliable when it came to insider Sony information, although he states he's not in direct contact with the estate:

Quote Originally Posted by damienshields View Post
    I don't post often but I'd like to make very clear that I am currently in no way associated with or in contact with the estate. The comment I made about the memorial being an idea under consideration, as stated in my article, came from Sony and not the estate. Also, just because they come up with these ideas does not mean they will - or even plan to - release them. They're just ideas. To reiterate: I am not an "insider" or associate of the estate.
    It's rumored that the Estate keeps an eye on fan boards to see how fans respond, so I'm hoping this poll remains popular enough for them to take note and make a final decision.

Here are my views with desire ratings. (Quite long so I hope people will read them )

* A new studio album of previously unreleased material - This one is obvious, and seems to be the one the fans want the most. The estate's first, and currently only, attempt at a new studio album was a complete disaster that many fans are still sullen over. If anything this is their chance to redeem themselves. Besides, look how excited and worked up the fans got when they saw Michael Prince's three Instagram posts. This project obviously means a lot to us because there are some gems in Michael's unreleased/rare discography and we want to hear it. It doesn't even need to be fully finished songs - we know Michael's demos could be considered finished songs. Just look at I'm So Blue, for example. But keep it as raw as humanly possible - if a few little musical touch ups need to be done, such as removing blank sessions that were un-recorded, that is understandable. Just don't take the Hollywood Tonight/Another Day/Behind the Mask route and make a mix that is a shadow of the original. Give us something to push Michael further and further into obscurity. 10/10

* A duets album, pairing unfinished music with new collaborators - This idea isn't necessarily terrible but is pretty damn bad. We've known about it for a while but still I'm not sold. The estate saw how worked up fans got from the over-production of Michael - adding a completely new artist to the mix would be even worse, considering there would probably be artists that we don't know Michael would ever have worked with. (Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Adele, etc.) Of course if Akon, Kanye West, Stevie Wonder or Paul McCartney made an appearance it would be fine, as Michael already worked/was planning to work with them. I'm open to it in the future when they start to run out of finished material, but for now we don't need it. And when they do they need to look at Notorious B.I.G.'s duets album and NOT do that. 5/10

* A Blu-Ray release of Jackson's July 2009 memorial service - This is probably the worst of the five options. Do they really need to make money off of this man's memorial service? Not to mention that we already have it in 1080p high definition online, and this in itself is an extremely depressing option. Two hours of other artists singing tributes and several dozen shots of a gold casket that has Michael's dead body in it? It was fine for a one-time TV tribute, but an official release? No thanks. 0/10

* A 3D release of Jackson's 1996-97 HIStory World Tour - For those of you who actually want this, take this into consideration: Michael sang a total of 25 individual songs in these concerts. Only two of them were live. He puts very little energy and care into his dancing and it doesn't seem like he even wants to be up on that stage. And if you still want it, download one of the several pro-filmed ones widely available online. (Two or three of them are even in HD.) Additionally, these tours weren't filmed in 3D, making the aspect pointless. No offense to Michael but these concerts are an embarrassment when put side by side to his Dangerous or Bad tours. Let's just let these rot in the vaults, shall we? 0/10

* An official release of Jackson's 2001 30th Anniversary Concerts - Going along with my HIStory tour rant, these concerts aren't good. Michael's performances are impressive for a 43-year-old man, but regardless they're still fully lip-synched and aren't much of a step up from the HWT. The concerts are readily available online in full 1080i HD, and they're gorgeous. And let's not forget that in all, tribute acts performed for about an hour to an hour and a half, while Michael only performed for around forty minutes, not counting the Jacksons reunion. That's nowhere near enough to constitute a project on it. So again, why is this even an option? 0/10

My final verdict: a new album of unreleased material would be the best, provided it stays as untouched and natural as possible. A duets album isn't terrible as long as you LEAVE OFF the current chart toppers and only include people Michael wanted to or did work with. The HIStory tour, memorial and 30th anniversary shows should just be left to decompose.

And now I'll turn it over to the fine people at MaxJax. Pick your choice and give a reason down below, whether it be a few paragraphs or just one sentence (although I'm sure we all know what the winner is going to be .
    Last edited by AlwaysThere; 03-29-2013 at 02:10 PM.

The duets project is BY far the worst out all of these possibilities. None of them strike me as excited as I was for Bad25.

Memorial Blu Ray Release: No.

HIStory Tour Film: replace HIStory with Dangerous, BAD or even Victory and I think its a great idea.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moon_Walk For This Useful Post:

Neverland Valley (04-10-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    The only project that would have my interest would be a new album with demos or B-sides released as michael left them, if it's overproduced as Michael then I wouldn't buy it. Same goes for the duet project, if these are real unreleased duets that michael did when alive (like for exemple the songs he made with freddie mercury) that remain un-remixed it'd be great, but if they star to pick random unfinished demos and fill the blancs or the "dadada"s with other artists then it would just be meh.
    The HIStory tour on Blu-ray ? Not very interested, we have around 15 HIStory tour pro-shots, plus this tour had way too much playback to get an honorable critic when released, the 30th anniversary concert is awful in my opinion and we already have it in high quality.
    Then I just don't get the point releasing the memorial on blu-ray, it would be such a morbid and depressing release, and what a waste of a project, michael ain't even in there and i don't want to buy a blu-ray of people mourning.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    I feel the same way about the memorial... I'd never heard that rumour. Even the memorial needs money to be made from it? Ugh.

Can I say 'none of the above'? I'd like to see expanded CD reissues of the Jacksons albums, with demos/outtakes/extended and alternate versions from the era as bonus tracks, or maybe something related to the Destiny/Triumph/Victory Tours. Or even an ET Storybook re-release, but we sort of missed the boat for a nice anniversary reissue last year, so who knows how long we might wait for that one.

i voted for New album of unreleased material of course because i am egar to hear more from MJ.....

about the duet album, well it appears a bad idea, but what if they used artist like JT, bruno Mars even Prince and some rappers like Jay Z in??!! it may be good though...

ah i almost forgot: No JB pleaseeeeee

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tidus72000 For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (03-28-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    LOL. The results for this poll are SHOCKING...... Haha. I hope the estate are paying attention!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BudzMJJ For This Useful Post:

Quench (03-29-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I don't like any of these besides the first option, a duets album with people he never worked with would just be disrespectful and send fans into a frenzy like "Michael" did (well not as bad, but people will not like it). If the Estate is going for their cheap crap method of hoping to appeal to teens by tricking them into thinking MJ is hip, than they would go the route of a duets album with Kanye West, Jay-Z, Akon, etc. I suppose these people did work with him after all before but I don't want to see this happening. They did a duets album after Notorious BIG died and used people he would have never worked with.

The MSG 2001 show is fun but is not a full release, we are talking about an hour long show here. It is already available in true HD 1080i quality and looks amazing, there would be no incentive to buy it unless it included something like rehearsal footage. HIStory is regarded by pretty much every fan as his worst tour, he lip syncs 95% of the show and dancing seemed uninspired in most shows (rare exceptions are Hawaii and Malaysia). Those 2 shows have actual energy in them which is reflected in his dancing. HIStory 3D was alluded to in a Bad 25 related interview by the executors, unless there happened to be a concert filmed in 3D (highly doubt it) this is just going to be a crappy looking show with fake 3D (blurring stuff that's out of focus to make it look like image is popping out more). Both HIStory Tour and MSG 2001 are concert some of Michael's worst shows. What's next, MJ and Friends 1999 3D?

If you are going for a concert release give us a Jacksons show. Victory Tour or Triumph Tour sourced from film would look amazing on Bluray, it is something that fans do not have access to (high quality masters). Album of new material with no new production and no duets would be awesome (unless it is prerecorded duets like with Freddie Mercury).

If someone from the Estate does check this board, look at these poll results, most one-sided poll ever, the fans have spoken unanimously.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (03-29-2013),MrBrightside (03-29-2013),Prince Of Pop (03-31-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    The main reason for this poll relates to what Nesboy43 and everyone else is saying - we want another album. Despite all the comments that there "isn't that much material in the vaults" (there's quite a bit left), there has to be enough for one more album. We want what the Michael album SHOULD have been. This is the Estate's chance for redemption - don't screw it up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Prince Of Pop (03-31-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    The main reason for this poll relates to what Nesboy43 and everyone else is saying - we want another album. Despite all the comments that there "isn't that much material in the vaults" (there's quite a bit left), there has to be enough for one more album. We want what the Michael album SHOULD have been. This is the Estate's chance for redemption - don't screw it up.
    I hear those comments about there not being much material left, but people need to realize how tons of songs that were reported sitting on Sony HDDs uploaded onto a company server were stolen and someone had to go to court over these so they do exist.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (03-29-2013)

16. I don't post often but I'd like to make very clear that I am currently in no way associated with or in contact with the estate. The comment I made about the memorial being an idea under consideration, as stated in my article, came from Sony and not the estate. Also, just because they come up with these ideas does not mean they will - or even plan to - release them. They're just ideas. To reiterate: I am not an "insider" or associate of the estate.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to damienshields For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (03-29-2013),Nesboy43 (04-01-2013)