Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mastering Thread: New Albums/Re-releases

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I just listened to Come and Get It Rare Pearls and it sounded pretty balanced, it wasn't mind blowing acoustics but it was well done. Also it is 2 discs of new content. It's interesting how a so-called "cash in" Motown release is done so much better than an Epic Records release.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

BudzMJJ (07-24-2013)

i havent heard that collection. but i did hear: If The Shoe Don't Fit, i liked that. sounded like a hit. shame it cant chart

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyjeanplxiv View Post
    i havent heard that collection. but i did hear: If The Shoe Don't Fit, i liked that. sounded like a hit. shame it cant chart
    I enjoyed the CDs on this more than any official J5 album I've heard. It isn't as great as Live at The Forum though!

ill have to DL them then

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I was listening to the Wembley Live CD today, have to say that I forgot how it was completely different than the other Bad 25 CDs. Live at Wembley is not pressed loudly, it's mid range, way lower than the other Bad 25 CDs. The weird thing to me is that the mixing sounds too raw to me, as if the engineers didn't want to mess with the tapes too much, it almost sounds unmastered, they could have made it brighter and clearer but it is still dynamic as it is.

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    From what I'm told the vinyl is more quite. However there is a level of sound quality that Michael's releases had up until Invincible came out. Invincible, Number Ones, and The Ultimate Collection were all brick-walled. Bad 25 isn't brick-walled but is still loud. The loudness war thing is stupid too, like someone buying CDs in current times really needs the music to be loud from the start. If people want to brick-wall digital versions so the phone/mp3 player crowd and play it loud on bad speakers/headphones than it is fine by me. It just perplexes me what reasoning one could have for brick-walling their music.

The mixing on the special editions were also poorly done, it just seems that from 2001 and on the releases have not been of great audio quality. I think it's sad how someone who seemed to care so much about their music and how it was heard just stopped caring about audio quality (or just made poor choices). The Special Editions are weird sounding but if you were to listen to HIStory or any pre-SE version of Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous on vinyl or CD you will hear some amazing high quality mastering work. I'm not sure if they are doing this for loudness purposes or they are continuing Michael's mastering choices for his later life.

The Ultimate Collection is the worst victim. If you thought the mastering on the songs from Invincible couldn't get any worse than you will be surprised. If Michael's music sounded this awful from the start I don't think he would have become as popular. The music is actually difficult to listen to at parts because the ear strains to hear sections, yet the louder it is turned up the more distorted it becomes. The saddest part about it is that there are quite a few demos and rare songs in TUC that will most likely only be available in bad quality. Luckily a few were released on the various King of Pop albums in way higher quality (We've Had Enough).
    Agreed. I onl;y ever listen to the KoP version of WHE. TUC version is horrid, you can't even hear the lead guitar work in the later part of the song.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
    How you gonna talk about the birds and the bees, when you met your own wife when she was only fourteen? Then you made one daughter; she (ah!) came to me. I took her to my Neverland Ranch to Hee-Hee!

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    My brother got himself a vinyl player and all that jazz.

Invincible on vinyl. What can I say.. HOLY CRAP! Invincible on Vinyl is a completely different album. WOW!

Privacy went from probably the most useless MJ song on CD to an absolute masterpiece when listening to it on vinyl. All the sounds on it are nice, hardhitting, the camera sounds bring their intended effect to the song, unlike on CD where they just sound like a gimmick.

Whatever Happens was already one of my favourite songs of his even on CD, on vinyl it is as close to a religious experience as you can get with music, just incredible, ten billion times more effective than CD.

The Lost Children is another masterpiece on vinyl. I liked the song ok on cd, but the vinyl version transforms the song completely.

Could go on and on but yeah, after hearing Invincible on vinyl, you cant go back to the cd version at all anymore. Only on vinyl do you get to hear how Invincible is supposed to be heard. Of course it's not optimal but great and a billion times better than the cd.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 04-09-2013 at 08:06 PM.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cyrus For This Useful Post:

beluga2805 (06-23-2014),Billyjeanplxiv (04-09-2013),ChickenMcNuggets (04-09-2013),extendedremix (04-09-2013),MJHHInvincible (04-09-2013),MrBrightside (04-09-2013),ozemoze22 (04-02-2018),Quench (04-09-2013),thankyoufortheparty (04-09-2013)

Vinyl is really the only way to hear music. I'll never forget hearing OTW and Thriller on Vinyl when I was a kid. It's like your hearing the albums for the first time. Well, with OTW I was lol. I've not had a record player the past few years and I miss it sooo much. All my MJ records sitting there. Next big buy is a record player.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrBrightside For This Useful Post:

ozemoze22 (04-02-2018),thankyoufortheparty (04-09-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    I wish I had the room in my house for vinyl... lol. Seriously, I can't even make the room.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChickenMcNuggets For This Useful Post:

MrBrightside (04-09-2013),ozemoze22 (04-02-2018)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Man, this is really pushing me forward to get a record player with a USB so I can rip all my vinyl into my computer! I already have a few albums that you can't get on CD because they're so obscure, and they're literally just sitting on my shelf begging to be played.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thankyoufortheparty For This Useful Post:

MrBrightside (04-09-2013)