Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mastering Thread: New Albums/Re-releases

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyjeanplxiv View Post
    so the Michael Album in Japan sounds better than in usa
    I doubt this one does, I don't think there were any Michael albums pressed in Japan. I'm sure there were a lot of copies sold there, but not pressed. If an album was made at a Japanese pressing plant than it is usually a sign of very high quality. If you look at the Thriller 25 exclusives that came out in Japan those were of great packaging quality and sound better than the US ones but they are still made from the same crappy masters.

oh, it was to be pressed, in japan. i get it now.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    The Bad 25 vinyl in America, after being delayed for months (was supposed to have been out in October) just arrived at my doorstep yesterday. Anyways, I have to say that while it does indeed sound better than the CD version it is not a huge improvement, it is quite minimal. If you look at the Invincible pressing vs the CD the different pressings on each format made a huge difference. The Bad 25 vinyl is still more dynamic and clear than the CD but not by much. Sadly, the record was pressed pretty loudly (not as loud as the CD though). The packaging is fantastic though and the triple gatefold looks nice, it has the same sort of shiny metallic effects that the CD set had. There are also giant pictures of Michael in the Studio and one with him and Quincy.

The sleeves themselves are different, the first one is the record sleeve from the original record, second one has lyrics for all the songs on Bad, third is artwork from all the singles (very high quality).

With the vinyl release in the US being delayed this long I thought it could have been for sound quality reasons but I guess not. I will say though, Fly Away and Streetwalker have never sounded this good (these do have a big improvement over any version I've heard). The remastered album, and the 6 new tracks are another sonic disappointment from the Estate.
    Last edited by Nesboy43; 02-13-2013 at 03:55 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

javik (03-27-2016),MJ5 (02-13-2013),MrBrightside (03-18-2013),PG13 (02-13-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    so when you do a vinyl-to-digital transfer it will lose the great quality? (fly away, streetwalker..)
    even if you do a WAV rip right?

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ5 View Post
    so when you do a vinyl-to-digital transfer it will lose the great quality? (fly away, streetwalker..)
    even if you do a WAV rip right?
    If someone has nice capturing equipment and does a line out through their stereo it will still sound really good, just not as good as native playback cause it is now becoming a digital source. However it will not loose any great quality, I have a vinyl rip of Fly Away in HQ if you want to PM me.

If you want to hear really great rips of MJ vinyl look at this guys channel, he has rare stuff too and does requests as well. He will send you FLACs of the recordings that sound better than Youtube too if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HiFisquarepants

I do videos of MJ vinyl sometimes but it's just a crappy camera recording it, no direct audio feed, but still sounds really good though, this is what it sounds like going through my vintage late 70s Sony Speakers.
    Shout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhV8PcJzcb4
    Is It Scary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBefRWm8q30
    Human Nature (half-speed mastered CBS vinyl) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKy1fM5gXR0
    Last edited by Nesboy43; 02-13-2013 at 10:12 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

MJ5 (02-20-2013),Quench (02-14-2013)

I messaged you about the vinyl rip, though you havent replied. That guy is pretty sweet. How do i message him?

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyjeanplxiv View Post
    I messaged you about the vinyl rip, though you havent replied. That guy is pretty sweet. How do i message him?
    You can message him from his youtube channel page or you can leave a comment and he will usually respond. I'll send you your PM shortly.

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    I doubt this one does, I don't think there were any Michael albums pressed in Japan.
    I bought 2010 Michael album and when I rip the album to my PC, Windows Media Player thinks that it is Japaniese release. All the song titles are in japaniese. Weird.

Favorite
    Album
    Bad
    Great. thx for info. so vinyl sounds better than most wav CDDA files...

I have yet to.listen to vinyl. I've heard the youtube stuff but I want better quality