Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mastering Thread: New Albums/Re-releases

1. Thankfully, more people are noticing music has gotten way too loud. Over the last few years, some releases (non-MJ) have been mastered at lower volume/compression levels. A lot of record labels have been keeping 24 bit masters of artists songs in their vaults, which are a bit quieter than the final CD masters. I think what's done now is the labels take these 24 bit masters and just raise the volume and lets the audio clip a bit.

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    The original pressing of Dangerous I think sounded the best of all Michael's albums. There was a certain level of clarity to the music that no other album or re-issue of his has had. The equalization, the mixing, everything was balanced and dynamic. I actually haven't bought an MJ album since Invincible for this reason alone. If they don't want to give me the best quality possible on the album, then I don't feel that the product is worth my hard earned money. That's a terrible thing to say about the magic of MJ's music, but when they destroy the level of perfection that these albums have simply to compete with today's recording standards, it really detracts from the music.

Thriller 25 sounded awful. I downloaded the FLAC rips just to see what the quality was and after about 1 minute of listening, I deleted it and cancelled my pre-order. Bad 25 didn't sound much better.

I'm still hoping that one day, they hear our pleas and give Michael's music the treatment is deserves. A balanced, perfectly equalized re-issue that would make even the biggest of audiophiles drool from the mouth. What would REALLY get me is if they released them in SACD. If the Beatles' remasters can sound as amazing as they did (especially the 24-bit USB release), there is no reason why Michael's music can't deliver on that level as well.

I think what we need to do is converge together, petition or something along those lines where we can collectively raise our voices, and get in contact with someone from Sony or the Estate about these issues. Bad 25 apparently had underwhelming sales despite the inclusion of the Wembley concert, unreleased tracks, etc. My personal reason was the mastering alone. Like I said before, not worth my hard earned money.
    Last edited by Neomic; 02-07-2013 at 05:49 PM.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Neomic For This Useful Post:

alexbism (02-16-2013),Billyjeanplxiv (02-09-2013),LiberianBoy82 (07-26-2015),MrBrightside (03-18-2013),Quench (02-07-2013),SmoothGangsta (07-10-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomic View Post
    The original pressing of Dangerous I think sounded the best of all Michael's albums. There was a certain level of clarity to the music that no other album or re-issue of his has had. The equalization, the mixing, everything was balanced and dynamic. I actually haven't bought an MJ album since Invincible for this reason alone. If they don't want to give me the best quality possible on the album, then I don't feel that the product is worth my hard earned money. That's a terrible thing to say about the magic of MJ's music, but when they destroy the level of perfection that these albums have simply to compete with today's recording standards, it really detracts from the music.

Thriller 25 sounded awful. I downloaded the FLAC rips just to see what the quality was and after about 1 minute of listening, I deleted it and cancelled my pre-order. Bad 25 didn't sound much better.

I'm still hoping that one day, they hear our pleas and give Michael's music the treatment is deserves. A balanced, perfectly equalized re-issue that would make even the biggest of audiophiles drool from the mouth. What would REALLY get me is if they released them in SACD. If the Beatles' remasters can sound as amazing as they did (especially the 24-bit USB release), there is no reason why Michael's music can't deliver on that level as well.

I think what we need to do is converge together, petition or something along those lines where we can collectively raise our voices, and get in contact with someone from Sony or the Estate about these issues. Bad 25 apparently had underwhelming sales despite the inclusion of the Wembley concert, unreleased tracks, etc. My personal reason was the mastering alone. Like I said before, not worth my hard earned money.
    I understand not wanting to buy a poorly mastered product. As PG13 has mentioned, it was Michael who approved of all these mixes, including the brick-waling of his later releases.

Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, and Blood on the Dance Floor do not need remasters, the originals already sound excellent and are great examples of top notch audio reproduction (especially the vinyl versions, Thriller Half-Speed CBS Mastersound is incredible). Invincible, The SE Bonus Material, Number Ones, The Ultimate Collection, Thriller 25, Michael (I'd be fine to never see this one again though), and Bad 25 do need reissues (although the Live Wembley CD wasn't pressed too loud it does need to be remixed). This Is It was decent sounding. The reason the Beatles remasters were done was because when they were first "remastered" for CDs in the late 1980s it was awful. Im surprised it took them more than 20 years to remaster it again for CD. The original masters of the Beatles records were pretty nice, although the 2009 versions did definitely clean up the old tapes and restore certain elements. The remasters effectively mad the CD versions that sounded almost as nice as the original records (a hard feat) and the vinyl remasters were amazing. I've heard great things about the USB stick (whose 24 bit versions were used as a source for the vinyl).

If they did an MJ box set for audiophiles it should go back to the original masters for OTW-BOTDF and clean up and repair the tapes if needed, using the Mastersound version for Thriller and OTW. The legacy releases (demos released from older eras) should be redone in a style close to how they would have been mastered at the time (Bruce would be of help (as he would have for Bad 25, yet the Estate neglected him)). Invincible would be the hardest though but they should strive to make that similar to HIStory or BOTDF. Some of the Beatles stuff was hard to remaster because some songs were done on 4 track tapes that overlapped (ie mixed into eachother to use more than 4 tracks in one song), making it hard to separate some sounds. However, Michael's albums were all recorded under excellent conditions and each layer could easily be resequenced.
    Last edited by Nesboy43; 02-08-2013 at 05:49 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

MJ5 (02-08-2013),MrBrightside (03-18-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Do you know of Michael's involvement with the Japanese master of Thriller, if any? The reason I ask is because there's such a vast difference in the sound quality. The Japanese pressing is sharper and more open sounding, but the US pressing has more low-end presence and tighter bass, but doesn't have the same clarity as the JP CD.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    The Japanese pressing is sharper and more open sounding, but the US pressing has more low-end presence and tighter bass, but doesn't have the same clarity as the JP CD.
    That's because early Japanese CDs had pre-emphasis on them.

whats is pre-emphasis? and didnt the US record have wider grooves, giving it a greater low end frq.?

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyjeanplxiv View Post
    whats is pre-emphasis?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pre-emphasis

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DingBat For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (12-09-2014),Quench (02-12-2013),SmoothGangsta (12-21-2014)

^ oh thats pretty funny. didnt even think of that.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Do you know of Michael's involvement with the Japanese master of Thriller, if any? The reason I ask is because there's such a vast difference in the sound quality. The Japanese pressing is sharper and more open sounding, but the US pressing has more low-end presence and tighter bass, but doesn't have the same clarity as the JP CD.
    The reason is that Japan in general has always had higher standards for music pressings, whether it be CD or record. Music sells for a lot more in Japan than in America for example. This isn't just MJ exclusive, if you get any record or CD pressing from Japan it will usually be better.

so the Michael Album in Japan sounds better than in usa