Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mastering Thread: New Albums/Re-releases

Invincible is quite loud. Some instances pierce your ears when listening on headphones. (E.g the snare on Butterflies.)

then why would Michael allow it to pass...what would his new album been like...loud as hell?

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyjeanplxiv View Post
    then why would Michael allow it to pass...what would his new album been like...loud as hell?
    It was the trend of the day - there's been a loudness 'war' in music since 2000. An article about it should still be in the general music section. BAD followed trends of the day as did Dangerous with HIStory being a mix, so it's not out of the blue that Invincible would also.

Who knows what any recent years album from MJ would've sounded like? Personally, I don't think it would've been loud since Invincible wasn't doing it for a lot of people - it probably wuld've been a balanced, but not groundbreaking album.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

Moon_Walk (01-22-2013),SmoothGangsta (07-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    It was the trend of the day - there's been a loudness 'war' in music since 2000. An article about it should still be in the general music section. BAD followed trends of the day as did Dangerous with HIStory being a mix, so it's not out of the blue that Invincible would also.

Who knows what any recent years album from MJ would've sounded like? Personally, I don't think it would've been loud since Invincible wasn't doing it for a lot of people - it probably wuld've been a balanced, but not groundbreaking album.

I think the new album would be very subtle. A subtle calm comeback, directly opposite to the marketing with HIStory what with the Teaser and the statues. However Michael being who he is, it may have been a explosive re entrance into the music industry. How do people think "Michael" is mastered? Not regarding the quality of the songs themselves.

Michael is mastered pretty bad too. I know about the loudness war, i do not like it. Im just saying, MJ should let his music be more sonic...MJ shouldnt follow trends....though he did.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Billyjeanplxiv For This Useful Post:

LiberianBoy82 (07-26-2015)

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Holy ****. My old CDs have been missing for ten years ever since I bought the special editions. Just found them and listened to Dangerous. It is like night and day. I have good audio equipment nowadays, unlike 10 years ago and listening to the original Dangerous now is like Im hearing Dangerous the way it was meant to be originally just now. It's a completely new experience. Infinitely better than the special edition. Unbelievable difference.

I also compared Bad original vs special edition vs 25th. Here the differences are different. Dangerous, every song is 1000 times better on the original but I have to say that on Bad, different songs I prefer on different albums. Some are best on SE, some on 25th, some on the original. The dynamic range is supposed to be best on the original but some songs I personally like more on the later releases. Man in the Mirror for example is best on the original, Leave Me Alone and Liberian Girl on the other hand are better on the later releases.

Have to compare Thriller and Off the Wall later. But damn... Dangerous, here I come. Going to listen to the album a LOT in the following weeks. My favourite album of his (most of the time ) and now I get to hear it almost like it was meant to be heard. Keep the Faith is off the hook, as is Who Is It. Wow!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cyrus For This Useful Post:

LiberianBoy82 (07-26-2015),mandom (03-30-2013),Quench (01-26-2013)

I need to hear the original mixes...lol

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Holy ****. My old CDs have been missing for ten years ever since I bought the special editions. Just found them and listened to Dangerous. It is like night and day. I have good audio equipment nowadays, unlike 10 years ago and listening to the original Dangerous now is like Im hearing Dangerous the way it was meant to be originally just now. It's a completely new experience. Infinitely better than the special edition. Unbelievable difference.

I also compared Bad original vs special edition vs 25th. Here the differences are different. Dangerous, every song is 1000 times better on the original but I have to say that on Bad, different songs I prefer on different albums. Some are best on SE, some on 25th, some on the original. The dynamic range is supposed to be best on the original but some songs I personally like more on the later releases. Man in the Mirror for example is best on the original, Leave Me Alone and Liberian Girl on the other hand are better on the later releases.

Have to compare Thriller and Off the Wall later. But damn... Dangerous, here I come. Going to listen to the album a LOT in the following weeks. My favourite album of his (most of the time ) and now I get to hear it almost like it was meant to be heard. Keep the Faith is off the hook, as is Who Is It. Wow!
    When I changed over from the Special Editions I had the same revelation. Dangerous, Thriller, and Off The Wall are all really poorly mixed. The Bad SE is easily the best of the bunch and is far from being a bad release but it should be better. The older versions of Bad are more well rounded but the SE is bright (and a bit louder), it all depends on listening tastes. There is a lot of music you can't hear with the SEs that was always there in the original. Vinyl is always best though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

MrBrightside (03-18-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Cyrus' post, beaver dam! I'm gonna have to get the originals for comparison. I've heard other people complain, but if one of the "Holy" Trinity of Dangerous can get better with the original album mix, I need that thang!
    There's only one Thriller and I ain't talkin' 'bout thee album...

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    The Bad SE is easily the best of the bunch and is far from being a bad release but it should be better. The older versions of Bad are more well rounded but the SE is bright (and a bit louder), it all depends on listening tastes.
    Definitely, exactly like that. Original more well rounded and all depends on listening tastes. I feel like the later releases managed to capture something essential about the Bad album's sound / sounds by making it brighter. The soundscape on that album benefits from it often, IMO. It definitely could and should be better though.

Vinyl is always best though.
    Yep, Im considering getting all the equipment needed for that.