Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mastering Thread: New Albums/Re-releases

The Mastering Thread: New Albums/Re-releases

I am unhappy with all of Michaels current releases. The mastering is off on everyone of his albums after death. Id like to see Bruce Swedien get into the next album to correct the horrible mastering that was Bad25. The songs were too loud, and i find myself dialing down the bass levels when listening to any Bad25 master in my car,

Im So Blue, DBMA, and Abortion Papers are great songs. they just arent mastered well.
    Hollywood could be better, and in Hold my Hand...you cant even hear Michael's background vocals like in the demo.

I just hope the estate comes to their senses and gives us a good release in quality, aswell as in terms of mastering the songs. Michael's music is his art....i just want it treated right.

No Loudness war....too.

hopefully the Estate can hear my plea.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    From what I'm told the vinyl is more quite. However there is a level of sound quality that Michael's releases had up until Invincible came out. Invincible, Number Ones, and The Ultimate Collection were all brick-walled. Bad 25 isn't brick-walled but is still loud. The loudness war thing is stupid too, like someone buying CDs in current times really needs the music to be loud from the start. If people want to brick-wall digital versions so the phone/mp3 player crowd and play it loud on bad speakers/headphones than it is fine by me. It just perplexes me what reasoning one could have for brick-walling their music.

The mixing on the special editions were also poorly done, it just seems that from 2001 and on the releases have not been of great audio quality. I think it's sad how someone who seemed to care so much about their music and how it was heard just stopped caring about audio quality (or just made poor choices). The Special Editions are weird sounding but if you were to listen to HIStory or any pre-SE version of Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous on vinyl or CD you will hear some amazing high quality mastering work. I'm not sure if they are doing this for loudness purposes or they are continuing Michael's mastering choices for his later life.

The Ultimate Collection is the worst victim. If you thought the mastering on the songs from Invincible couldn't get any worse than you will be surprised. If Michael's music sounded this awful from the start I don't think he would have become as popular. The music is actually difficult to listen to at parts because the ear strains to hear sections, yet the louder it is turned up the more distorted it becomes. The saddest part about it is that there are quite a few demos and rare songs in TUC that will most likely only be available in bad quality. Luckily a few were released on the various King of Pop albums in way higher quality (We've Had Enough).

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

BadTour87 (04-26-2018),Dorian (01-19-2013),FlorinMihalache (01-19-2013),javik (03-27-2016),SmoothGangsta (07-10-2015)

Its really a shame, Beautiful Girl could sound so much better. And I haven't heard much non brickwalled mj because all I have are special editions. I'm hoping to find some download for the orignal cds for each album. We've Had Enough has a better sounding copy out there?

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyjeanplxiv View Post
    Its really a shame, Beautiful Girl could sound so much better. And I haven't heard much non brickwalled mj because all I have are special editions. I'm hoping to find some download for the orignal cds for each album. We've Had Enough has a better sounding copy out there?
    The Special Editions aren't brickwalled like Invincible, Number Ones, or TUC is, however they are pretty loud. The main issue is the mixing and mastering for the Special Editions. It makes it incredibly difficult to hear certain instruments and noises that were always present in the older CDs and the vinyl versions. Whoever approved of those mixes needs to be fired from the music industry. They are a huge downgrade. Look from some non SE versions of the albums, they are really cheap too. They don't have to be the first issue, as long as they aren't SE they will all sound really nice.

In 2008 the album King Of Pop was released in tons of different editions for every major country besides the United States. There were 2 disc versions that contained different track listings for each country. There is quite a bit of material from TUC in there that is in higher quality. They weren't mastered perfectly but they do sound pretty good and are a huge step up from TUC. Some of the songs on the various KOP albums in higher quality are:

Beautiful Girl
    Cant Get Outta The Rain (better than the special Thriller 25 version that included it)
    Carousel (and it is in full, not just 1 minute)
    Fall Again
    For All Time
    Got The Hots
    In The Back
    On The Line (higher than TUC, the Ghosts single is a bit better though)
    One More CHance
    Someone Put Your Hand Out (Higher quality than TUC, single is best)
    Sunset Driver
    The Way You Love Me
    We've Had Enough
    We Are Here To Change the World
    We Are The World (Demo)

The only problem is that no compilation has all these songs and the KOP 2-Disc sets are expensive. In order to get all these songs in high quality someone has to spend a fortune.

Here's We've Had Enough from KOP, keep in mind it is ripped and put on youtube and the CD sounds better, however regardless this Youtube video sounds better than my TUC CD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbki1rNw_Fw

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nesboy43 For This Useful Post:

maviefly (01-19-2013),Quench (01-20-2013)

itss a shame we can a properly mastered release....

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    These versions sound different from the ones I have:
    Beautiful Girl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZwAYgR4HRA
    Someone Put Your Hand Out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9X_bCVJZLk
    In the Back
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCrstCtGWiw
    are they like those versions you mentioned or am I just going crazy?

EDIT: Nvm, listened to more the tracks the person uploaded and it's definitely pitched up a bit.
    There's only one Thriller and I ain't talkin' 'bout thee album...

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    The Special Editions aren't brickwalled like Invincible, Number Ones, or TUC is, however they are pretty loud. The main issue is the mixing and mastering for the Special Editions. It makes it incredibly difficult to hear certain instruments and noises that were always present in the older CDs and the vinyl versions. Whoever approved of those mixes needs to be fired from the music industry. They are a huge downgrade. Look from some non SE versions of the albums, they are really cheap too. They don't have to be the first issue, as long as they aren't SE they will all sound really nice.
    Michael's approval...and he went to Bernie's Studio as usual. You'll see another name there too, but it's all MJ's approval anyway. Same deal with Invincible being loud - MJ again.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

Dorian (01-22-2013),Quench (01-21-2013)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
    These versions sound different from the ones I have:
    Beautiful Girl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZwAYgR4HRA
    Someone Put Your Hand Out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9X_bCVJZLk
    In the Back
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCrstCtGWiw
    are they like those versions you mentioned or am I just going crazy?

EDIT: Nvm, listened to more the tracks the person uploaded and it's definitely pitched up a bit.
    For those videos the uploader even says they are taken off TUC. Try and find the KOP versions or the single versions of these rare songs. People commonly change the pitch of the songs so youtube doesn't flag their videos. The We've Had Enough video I posted is from the KOP album. (it could also be pitched up)

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Michael's approval...and he went to Bernie's Studio as usual. You'll see another name there too, but it's all MJ's approval anyway. Same deal with Invincible being loud - MJ again.
    That's a really poor choice on his part. It strays away from the early Dangerous CDs that have stickers on it saying it guarantees that the disc has been manufactured for the best sound quality from Epic Records.

MJ swore on CD quality. he said so during the Invincible era

Favorite
    Album
    Dangerous
    ^^^Michael said a lot of things that didn't go with his actions. Invincible isn't a great sounding album and Bruce Swedien wasn't impressed with the work done on T25's mastering which he called MJ about. If I remember right, Michael agreed with Bruce that it wasn't good.

Invincible has its moments of some really good sonic recording like on the accapella for Speechless.
    "Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even concieve of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." - Brandon Lee

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PG13 For This Useful Post:

SmoothGangsta (07-10-2015)