Thread: Justin Timberlake

1. You guys.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tyff says WHOA For This Useful Post:

AlwaysThere (04-06-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Good performance, but old.

In more recent news, "Not a Bad Thing" has jumped to #20 on the Billboard 100. I predicted that it would reach the top 20, so I'm happy to see I was right. The music video to it is pretty lame though.

Still, if only "Cabaret" and "Drink You Away" were released as singles instead of "Take Back the Night" and "TKO". *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cakes View Post
    Good performance, but old.

In more recent news, "Not a Bad Thing" has jumped to #20 on the Billboard 100. I predicted that it would reach the top 20, so I'm happy to see I was right. The music video to it is pretty lame though.

Still, if only "Cabaret" and "Drink You Away" were released as singles instead of "Take Back the Night" and "TKO". *sigh*
    Two absolute standout tracks from Justin's entire catalogue! Honestly, I'm miffed atleast one of them wasn't a single.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBrightside For This Useful Post:

Hot Cakes (04-05-2014)

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    I would be absolutely horrified if Cabaret was released as a single. It was the first time since the Justified album where I honestly hated a song from one of Justin's albums. It grew on me and it's substandard at this point, but regardless it's one of the worst songs on 2 of 2.

Drink You Away? Amnesia? Only When I Walk Away? These are my top choices for singles.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    I would be absolutely horrified if Cabaret was released as a single. It was the first time since the Justified album where I honestly hated a song from one of Justin's albums. It grew on me and it's substandard at this point, but regardless it's one of the worst songs on 2 of 2.

Drink You Away? Amnesia? Only When I Walk Away? These are my top choices for singles.
    Again, a song isn't suitable for single release simply for being a good song. Generally, a song has to have a sound that's suitable for the mainstream radio. "Cabaret" and "Drink You Away" certainly had that type of sound. Of course, at this point, it's really too late to release any more singles from the album.

And seriously, "Amnesia" and "Only When I Walk Away"? While I think the former is the best track on The 20/20 Experience (2 of 2), neither of songs are Hot 100 material. Had they been released as singles, they probably would have flopped.

Favorite
    Album
    HIStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cakes View Post
    Again, a song isn't suitable for single release simply for being a good song. Generally, a song has to have a sound that's suitable for the mainstream radio. "Cabaret" and "Drink You Away" certainly had that type of sound. Of course, at this point, it's really too late to release any more singles from the album.

And seriously, "Amnesia" and "Only When I Walk Away"? While I think the former is the best track on The 20/20 Experience (2 of 2), neither of songs are Hot 100 material. Had they been released as singles, they probably would have flopped.
    Cabaret may fit the current mold, but it's still has to be a good song in itself to be released as a single. And it is not.

The Hot 100 is more diverse than you give it credit for. So long as a song is strong enough melodically and musically, it will do well.

At this moment, the top 20 includes Team by Lorde, All of Me by John Legend, Not a Bad Thing by Justin Timberlake, Let Her Go by Passenger, Happy by Pharrell Williams and Let it Go by Idina Menzel. A majority of these songs sound nothing like what you would expect to chart. But they did, solely because they are strong, great tracks (for the most part).

Let's also not forget that in 2012, Somebody That I Used to Know hit number one and stayed there for a number of weeks, the last song you would expect in a year that was majorly dominated by EDM and rap, solely because it was a powerful, catchy song with great lyrics.

Amnesia and Only When I Walk Away are both phenomenal songs with ear worm melodies and powerful choruses, which is more than one can say about Cabaret. The latter was performed on its own twice (iTunes Festival and iHeart Radio Festival), so promotion was already on its way. They could have done extremely well.

And it isn't too late to release singles from 2 of 2 if they really wanted to. It hasn't even been out for a year yet. Some albums are milked for at least nine months.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Oh, "Not a Bad Thing" has reached number 14 on the Hot 100! Glad to see the song is doing so well. Hope it reaches the top ten!

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Cabaret may fit the current mold, but it's still has to be a good song in itself to be released as a single. And it is not.

The Hot 100 is more diverse than you give it credit for. So long as a song is strong enough melodically and musically, it will do well.
    A song being good is subjective (the majority would agree that "Cabaret" is a good song, btw). Regardless of whether "Cabaret" is good or not, it still has a suitable sound for mainstream radio and likely would have been a hit.

At this moment, the top 20 includes Team by Lorde, All of Me by John Legend, Not a Bad Thing by Justin Timberlake, Let Her Go by Passenger, Happy by Pharrell Williams and Let it Go by Idina Menzel. A majority of these songs sound nothing like what you would expect to chart. But they did, solely because they are strong, great tracks (for the most part).

Let's also not forget that in 2012, Somebody That I Used to Know hit number one and stayed there for a number of weeks, the last song you would expect in a year that was majorly dominated by EDM and rap, solely because it was a powerful, catchy song with great lyrics.
    Most of the songs you mentioned sound like songs I'd expect to be major hits.

Yes, there are times where a song sounds different from most of mainstream radio and becomes a huge hit. But that would not have been the case with "Amnesia" and "Only When I Walk Away". Seriously.

Amnesia and Only When I Walk Away are both phenomenal songs with ear worm melodies and powerful choruses, which is more than one can say about Cabaret. The latter was performed on its own twice (iTunes Festival and iHeart Radio Festival), so promotion was already on its way. They could have done extremely well.

And it isn't too late to release singles from 2 of 2 if they really wanted to. It hasn't even been out for a year yet. Some albums are milked for at least nine months.
    Phenomenal songs? Subjective. So what if they were promoted? "Take Back the Night" and "TKO" were promoted, and they bombed.

If more singles were released at this point, it's very likely they'd lag on the charts. By this point, most of the hype has ran out.
    Last edited by Hot Cakes; 04-10-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Favorite
    Album
    Off The Wall
    Well, "Not A Bad Thing" has done very well on the charts by this point. Number 8 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Looks like JT's gonna be performing at the upcoming Super Bowl halftime show: http://www.businessinsider.com/justi...er-bowl-2017-9

Surprised they'd pick him again after the whole thing with Janet, but I'm so hyped. He's reportedly gonna release a new album around then, too.

His new Man Of The Woods album came out on Friday. It's thoroughly mediocre, lol. "Midnight Summer Jam" is basically the only good song on it.

Can't wait for his Super Bowl halftime show performance today, though.