PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve article - 3pm UK time!

PG13
12-20-2012, 11:42 PM
"Moonwalker": Exploring The Potential Symbolism Of The Rainbow. Written & Researched by myself! :)

Enjoy!

ChickenMcNuggets
12-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Good stuff again, you shameless uber-nerd, you. :P

A good spot about the peacock in the Leave Me Alone video... I'm going to have to look at that one again.

Here's the direct link for people (http://historycontinues.com/forums/content.php?177-Moonwalker-Exploring-The-Potential-Symbolism-Of-The-Rainbow).

Minimj
12-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Nice one again bud! I didn't realise the connection between the peacock and the rainbow.

I'm just trying to think of any music videos with a rainbow post BAD - but I can't. Seems the whole symbolism of the rainbow/Peacock left him.

PG13
12-24-2012, 09:08 PM
We see the peacock brooch on MJ's sparkly fedora on the dressing table in Moonwalker as well - that sold at auction a couple of years ago now.

The last time we saw a peacock on anything MJ related after BAD was on the Dangerous album cover. After that - nothing remotely close to either a rainbow or peacock unless you count the rainbow effect lighting at the end of Earth Song at MJ & Friends Munich 1999 to signify the promised future world if we unite as one. Or the rainbow effect trousers for Billie Jean. Seems to me that after Thriller, all imagery was no longer universal like the rainbow colours and concentrated more on the man himself. Note those that were universal were now reserved exclusively for the stage where once he'd wear them off stage, e.g. the single white glove. Since we know MJ wanted to go for a tougher, more streetwise image from BAD to Dangerous, we might theorise that the rainbow/peacock were naturally dropped as they don't create the tough bad boy image.

So, it ends up being inserted in Moonwalker in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it fashion! :)

EDIT: The Dangerous tour jacket has a shimmery rainbow effect to it as well.